Thread: Cheesy tactics

Default Cheesy tactics

OK. I just realized a cheesy tactic and wanted to see which ones you use.

1. If you start a crusade and then, as you are besieging the target city, have all of your generals join the crusade, each unit that joined the crusade gets an experience point. This is an easy way to EXP up your forces.

2. Crossbows are extremely powerful when used in direct fire mode. But if a friendly unit is between the target and the shooter, it will use indirect fire, which is not as good. So if you chase the AI xbows behind its spear lines, it will use indirect fire, and be much less effective.

Others??

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cheesy tactics

Cav charges?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Some times in RTW if you are charging at a unit and they are charging at you, and you have your unit stop a little while before they hit, the enemy unit will stop also. Then you can have yours charge again before they have a chance. That doesn't work all the time, but it is sweet when it does. ;)
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Post Re: Cheesy tactics

When defending in R:TW against large armies of worse units, simply line your men up in the corner of the red line! They have to charge into your men front on, no flanking, and, even better, only a small number of them can get to fight you. I once won a battle with one Sacred Band Phalanx against a full stack of Velites. Cheap tactic, but, it works!

BTW, it works best with phalanx units.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I MTW, when the Mongols appear, have a few good, 4-6 valour assassins on hand, along with about 600,000 florins. Assassinate the khaan and bribe the armies. Mongol troops=very good, very inexpensive armies. Mongol troops fighting for me in vast hordes=domination.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

have one or 2 units of veleties line up as 'thin' as possible (2 men deep) a little bit infront of your line of hastii/princepies/legionaries, and turn off skirmish. Then use the veleties to 'absorb' the enemy charge, then rain down pila death on the enemy and charge. This works wonders against cav when you have no phalanx/spearmen. You generally lose most of your veleties, but that doesn't bother me.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Lol @ Omanes, winning by red line camping is worse then lossing in my opinion.

Town militia are better and cheaper fodder than skirmishers.

-We do the impossible every day, miracles take a bit longer- Air Force Motto

Quote Originally Posted by mbrasher1
    OK. I just realized a cheesy tactic and wanted to see which ones you use.

1. If you start a crusade and then, as you are besieging the target city, have all of your generals join the crusade, each unit that joined the crusade gets an experience point. This is an easy way to EXP up your forces.

2. Crossbows are extremely powerful when used in direct fire mode. But if a friendly unit is between the target and the shooter, it will use indirect fire, which is not as good. So if you chase the AI xbows behind its spear lines, it will use indirect fire, and be much less effective.

Others??

I don't see how #2 is cheesy...

As far as cheesy goes I think the cheesiest thing to do is reload from a save game when things don't turn out your way. That's like the Big Cheese Granddaddy of All Cheese. I've been guilty of doing it from time to time and it shames me
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Member Member Jobst_vonGrünungen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rvg
    I don't see how #2 is cheesy...

As far as cheesy goes I think the cheesiest thing to do is reload from a save game when things don't turn out your way. That's like the Big Cheese Granddaddy of All Cheese. I've been guilty of doing it from time to time and it shames me

I do that all the time... Now I feel bad for it :(
    "I am the King of Rome, and therefore above grammar"
    - Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor

In RTW, you can sally forth against seiges everytime you load your game.

so:

1.Get seiged
    2.Sally
    3.Save
    4.Load
    5.Repeat 2-4 until seiging army is defeated.

this works much much better with horsearcher units defending, as you will invariably lose no men while causing huge casualties on the enemies before you retreat into your settlement and quit with the successful sally, every time. and all this is done in the same turn.
    before you ask a RTW modding question make sure you have done these things:

1. At least read these two stickies in the Modding Questions forum: Introduction and Welcome
    2. used the search function (upper right corner of your screen) to know if your Q has been asked before.
    3. browsed the Modding Answers subforum, and the Scriptorium.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni
    In RTW, you can sally forth against seiges everytime you load your game.

so:

1.Get seiged
    2.Sally
    3.Save
    4.Load
    5.Repeat 2-4 until seiging army is defeated.

this works much much better with horsearcher units defending, as you will invariably lose no men while causing huge casualties on the enemies before you retreat into your settlement and quit with the successful sally, every time. and all this is done in the same turn.
    I did a similar thing (kind-of) when I had a small army of skirmishers I was trying to get to a settlement to increase happiness. I was suddenly faced by a large enemy army, all infantry and no missiles (I was Rome and they were Carthage BTW). They had some bog-standard infantry and a few phalanxes. Anyway, each turn for about 4 turns, I'd get all the skirmishers in loose formation, sorted single line, skirmish mode on, running on, fire at will.

I'd get 1 unit to pepper one of their infantry from the front, and get some more to go round the sides of the army and kill them from the sides or rear (works best against phalanxes). As soon as they were out of ammo, I Withdraw them all until the next turn. I killed 20-25% of the army each time, with minimal casualties, and despite technically losing several battles, managed in effect to wipe one of their stacks out for "free".

hehe I Am Herenow, that's the beauty of my cheese, all of that is done in a single turn, therefore: not allowing the enemy to reduce happiness, actually invade or otherwise impact your city.

Not to mention turning what is supposed to be a devastating loss into a win! who wants a fair fight if you can have several attrition battles instead?
    before you ask a RTW modding question make sure you have done these things:

1. At least read these two stickies in the Modding Questions forum: Introduction and Welcome
    2. used the search function (upper right corner of your screen) to know if your Q has been asked before.
    3. browsed the Modding Answers subforum, and the Scriptorium.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Just remembered one: Dogs and bridges.

Have lots of shooters in your bridge defense army and 2-3 units of dogs.

Race troops up to the bridge in your classic narrow front with the shooters to both sides. Also bring up dogs.

Just as the enemy start across the bridge, release the puppies. They'll meet the enemy half to 2/3s of the way across and -- bless their small pixelated hearts -- stop up the bridge completely.

Now all of your shooters and javelineers can unload shot after shot (I've had slingers shoot out half their ammo) before the enemy can get through the dogs. And who cares if a few pups get skewered? They are, after all, replaced as long as you run the handlers back to safety -- the most powerful missile weapon in the game.

By the time they come to grips with you, you'll have them so far behind on the attrition curve that you should have a very easy time of it -- even more so than usual for a bridge battle.

I once had a battle wherein I used 2 hoplites to stop the bridge, 2 peltasts behind them, 6 archer auxilia (3 to a side), 4 dog units and 3 onagers. Talk about a shooting gallery.....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Nice - I sometimes have custom battles where I have 2 maxed-out phalanxes vs. 2 full enemy infantry stacks (no missiles) on a bridge. Just deploy the phalanxes to form a solid wall, and advance them so that their spear-tips are just on the bridge (that way they keep formation and don't let enemy get off the bridge). Stupid AI suicide-charges infantry and you get a ridiculous victory!

Oops double post