Thread: Saba Campaign strategy

Default Saba Campaign strategy

The Saba position is quite unique and rather than playing a typical land grabbing strategy and fighting the Ptolemies/Seleucids head on, I figured it would be interesting to try something completely different.

As the picture shows, I plan to sit in comfort in the defensive south of Arabia while expanding to Ethiopia and India. The poor early economy of Saba lets me field not even a full field army total, so neither area has much of a force to defend with. Therefore strong successor aggression in either area will probably stretch my capability to hold them to the limit and both have forces within a years travel, making it quite risky.

Has anyone else tried this maneuver or something similar? How did you fare?

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

Default Re: Saba Campaign strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Veris
    The Saba position is quite unique and rather than playing a typical land grabbing strategy and fighting the Ptolemies/Seleucids head on, I figured it would be interesting to try something completely different.

As the picture shows, I plan to sit in comfort in the defensive south of Arabia while expanding to Ethiopia and India. The poor early economy of Saba lets me field not even a full field army total, so neither area has much of a force to defend with. Therefore strong successor aggression in either area will probably stretch my capability to hold them to the limit and both have forces within a years travel, making it quite risky.

Has anyone else tried this maneuver or something similar? How did you fare?
    It's a shameless peace of self promotion. But here goes anyway:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79417

Tried it. Don't expand into India until you are in firm control of Egypt. Two fronts can be dealt with. But a third one tends to sap just a bit too much resources to keep the momentum. While the Seleukids may be your more agressive neighbor, you should focus your efforts on the Ptolies. Once you control Egypt you can take on the Seleukids with a reasonable chance of success.

I also recommend using one the money scripts. They help in reducing the invading Seleukid stacks to a more manageable level.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Default Re: Saba Campaign strategy

Heres my two cents.Whether its helpful,I don't know

In my capaign/AAR,I focused my efforts on controlling the provinces nearby.The three cities nearby take some time to get,but getting them gives you a stable economic base.Spend some time not conquering,to strengthen the economy,and don't forget to get trade with Egypt (I have yet been able to spell the actual name.) and the Seluciuds.However,keep an eye on them.They will come eventually.

Once the south Arabian coast is stable,heading to Africa is a plausible next step.But make sure you keep an eye on things at home.Thats where I messed up.I focused a bit to much on my Africa invasion,and the Selecuids came raining down on me.And with my best army currently stuck across the sea (guarded by really annoying and strong pirates),it was no contest.

It wasn't as much as the Selecuids being richer as much as me not keeping an eye out for them and keeping adequate protection at home .They can be beaten,even without modding the money codes.Heck,in a different Saba campaign,I fought them,beat them,took over most of Arabia, and even captured their capital in Mesopatamia.