Thread: How do you view XML file properly?

Question How do you view XML file properly?

Or should I say: What's the best (freeware more preferred) software to read/open/view XML file in a good form?

For example: I downloaded all PM into XML format, yet when I open it with my browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox), Visual Basic, or even XMLEditPro all I can see is a bunch of random tags and codes, and it's difficult to see the messages. I expected to able to view them in a more "proper way", perhaps like how I view the PM box here...

What say you?
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Default Re: How do you view XML file properly?

XML is meant to be a very very flexible data format. Might be able to import it into access or openoffice, and see it as a table layout, but expecting a non custom app to make it look like PMs probably won't happen.

Can you view XML file just like how you view a website with an internet browser?
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Hate to do this but...

***bump***

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tran
    Can you view XML file just like how you view a website with an internet browser?
    As far as I know, yes.

Excel (latest versions) can also read XML.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Thumbs up Thanks...and more questions

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    As far as I know, yes.

Excel (latest versions) can also read XML.
    Thanks Tosa, I never knew that before! It works with my Excel 2003...now I don't need to download those XML viewer anymore

By the way, I am still wondering whether or not there's a way to view those Private Messages exactly like how I view them with internet browser? I mean if you open XML file with Excel, you'll still see the [QUOTE] and [B] tags as they don't really do anything there.

In PM box I see this option:

Download all Private Messages as :
    XML | CSV | Text mbox

What's the different between XML, CSV, and mbox? Are they being shown differently? Or are they WYSIWYG similiar to viewing them in internet browser? I'm not sure if someone really understand what I mean, but I hope someone does.
    Last edited by Tran; 05-28-2007 at 12:05.

Default Re: Thanks...and more questions

Hello Tran,

I didn't knew either, until I saved a Worksheet as XML during a dorming moment and couldn't open it at home (Excel 2000).

I'm pretty sure that you'll continue to see those tags. Those tags are understood by the forum and replaced by HTML content. Mail clients do not have that (not the same).

There are quite a few bits about the PM system that I don't like/miss.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I've often wonder previously about XML, but now I understand the XML concept. Thanks for clearing up these, Tosa! At least now I know I can view downloaded PM box more "attractive" with Excel (in fact, with "extra features"), instead of those horrible XML viewer which (in my opinion) do nothing except giving endless non-sense codes.

Hello Tran,

There's another method: mbox. It's possible to import into an e-mail client then.
    Ja mata

TosaInu