Thread: Byzantine Loyalists

Default Byzantine Loyalists

I was playing a game as the Byzantines, and I was at war with the Egyptians, who held from Turkey to Ireland. Turkey was constantly contested between me and the Egyptians, and year after year Byzantine loyalists appeared in Antioch, Lesser Armenia and Rum.

I'm confused as to why chivalric men-at-arms, Catholic swordsmen, appeared in the loyalist forces. (Other than them, the loyalists were usually made up of archers, pronolai allagion, byzantine infantry and Varangians) Why did these men-at-arms fight for me?
    Long live the King of the Chipmunks, whose name I cannot pronounce in English, but is something along these lines...

Achumungi-Yngilbuvvyurdmunt

Default Re: Byzantine Loyalists

Are you playing MTW or MTW/VI? FMAA and CMAA are not part of the rebelling troop mixes for orthodox factions, that is to say that they simply cannot appear in orthodox rebellions of any kind AFAIK.

I usually play VI but I was at a mate's place helping him with his campaign, and he doesn't have the expansion.
    Long live the King of the Chipmunks, whose name I cannot pronounce in English, but is something along these lines...

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Since i've been able to play MTW:VI I also find very strange rebels, like one time there were Egyptian Loyalists emerging with Pictish M. Crossbows and normal Pictish Crossbows and I've also seen a Spanish Crusade with Viking Huscarles, Landsmenn and a couple thousand Thralls.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

That's only possible if they stole troops from an absolutely ENORMOUS Danish army....

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Yes, that's what I thought, the Danish do control most of Europe apart from my tiny Kingdom on the eastern west coast.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

I've had my English chrusade attract Saxon Huscarles and I was quite surprised at the time.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Not that big thing really. The English had Saxon roots after all. ~
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

From what I can gather, the location/faction/era rules are different for rebellions, mercs and crusades.

For example, berserkers will appear in a rebellion, but can never be recruited.

Guns appear prior to 1260...

Don't know the specifics, but anyway.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I never got units like Sherwood Foresters and Almughavars...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    I never got units like Sherwood Foresters and Almughavars...
    Too bad, both are fun units. Almughavars are a personal favorite of mine, I love it whenever I can manage to find some. As you might've noticed, though, they're kinda rare.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greaterkhaan
    Too bad, both are fun units. Almughavars are a personal favorite of mine, I love it whenever I can manage to find some. As you might've noticed, though, they're kinda rare.
    I made armored almughavars recruitable by the Byzantines to hopefully help them fight off the Eggys. They're so awesome.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

Some weird units do indeed get thrown up from time to time, both in crusades and as mercs...

In my current campaign (Aragon) I have had pictish crossbowmen, pictish mounted crossbowmen, and welsh bandits appear in crusade armies....and I have seen lancers among the available mercs a few times now, even though I have just moved from early period to high. Yes, I have resisted the temptation to snap them up.....

Odd units of the right time I can deal with as having been wandering far from home and deciding to join a crusade or rebellion, but units that appear many years ahead of their time are a bit harder to justify, for me.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    I made armored almughavars recruitable by the Byzantines to hopefully help them fight off the Eggys. They're so awesome.
    WTF? You even gave them armor too? You basically just filled the only hole in the Byzantine lineup with one of the best of its kind. Don't you think the Byzantines are already a little overpowered to begin with?

Also, this isn't really the place to ask, but since it came up: How do you mod? I've been trying to figure it out myself and, as usual, I'm hopeless with the computer.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

In my current campaign (Aragon) I have had pictish crossbowmen, pictish mounted crossbowmen, and welsh bandits appear in crusade armies....
    Thats nothing. How about a Jihad that has CFK? Of course, that could be from the recently conquered Tripoli, but you get the idea.

....and I have seen lancers among the available mercs a few times now, even though I have just moved from early period to high. Yes, I have resisted the temptation to snap them up.....
    Try handgunners in 1122. Or Viking Huscarles in 1340's.