Thread: AMD vs nVidia!!

Default AMD vs nVidia!!

I'm planning on getting a new PC this month.. And I was wondering: nVidia or AMD? (Dx10 Graphics card)

And if nVidia, is the performance increase in the 8800GTX Ultra worth the increased price?

Regards.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Default Re: AMD vs nVidia!!

maybe I'm wrong but AMD make processors while ATI make graphics cards?

Post Re: AMD vs nVidia!!

Hi Marius Dynamite,
    Quote Originally Posted by Marius Dynamite
    Recently, I think that, AMD and ATi bought each other out, I'm not quite sure who took over two, yet I think AMD took over ATi. I may be wrong however, I'm rather stupid in the technology field, so I suggest that you wait for somebody with more knowlage than me to confirm my ideas first. Sorry I can't be sure.

BTW, I think, that Nvidia are the only company that do DX10 cards, so perhaps Nvidia is the way to go for now.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 05-13-2007 at 12:01.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

AMD bought ATI.
    BTW, I think, that Nvidia are the only company that do DX10 cards, so perhaps Nvidia is the way to go for now.
    Well, the R2900 (? Can't remember the exact name..) is out, or soon to be.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

AMD bought ATI, but ATI still exists as a company making graphics cards, just under the AMD umbrella.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

I'm planning on getting a new PC this month.. And I was wondering: nVidia or AMD? (Dx10 Graphics card)

And if nVidia, is the performance increase in the 8800GTX Ultra worth the increased price?
    Ok if your talking graphics cards your comparing the new R600 ATI/AMD to the nvidea 8800 series. Id go with the 8800s(I already have an 8800GTS320) as its been out for a while now. I havent seen any real good reviews on the R600 and no I dont think the Ultra is worth the price increase. My 8800 does very nicely for only $315 The Ultra is something like $900. If you have the money go with a standard 8800GTX and you should get all the performace you need.

As far as a proccessor. If the choice is AMD or Intel and you have $1000 or more to spend on your pc go with an intel Core 2 Duo or quad. AMD is still the better choice if your funds are low.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Gawain is right, but wait until the new AMD cards are released, because NVidia's prices will drop then.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu