Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MTW Pocket Mod: Summary, Download and Bug Reports

Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod

I have installed the latest version directly in a clean MTW/VI 2.01v install, so you should be ok, like that Omanes - unless someone points out that we need the older version, but i dont think so.

Don't apologise all the time, as far as i am concenrned you are a great Orgah

Many Thanks

Noir
    Last edited by Noir; 05-08-2007 at 20:22.

Post Re: MTW Pocket Mod

Thanks Noir!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Post Re: MTW Pocket Mod: Summary, Download and Bug Reports

Hi again,
    I (think) this may be a bug with the PocketMod, so please excuse me if it's in the original Medieval, but, the Pope just decided to get married to one of my English princesses.

I dropped the Princess on a Papal "M:TW version of a Diplomat", I though that I'd dropped him on a, very low loyalty ringleader, general, but when I saw the screen about "offering marriage" and all that, I wanted to see what would come out of offering to marry the (Un)-holy father. Next turn, he, to my surprise, accepts my proposal.

Hope this helps, cheers!

Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: Summary, Download and Bug Reports

That's a vanilla 'bug'. After a few years playing this game you'll see a lot of married Popes. Basically the Pope as with any faction leader can marry, but if you try to drag your princess over the Pope it won't work as it does with other faction leaders. You can still drag your princess over a Papal Emissary though, as you have discovered, and he may accept the proposal. The Pope will not produce heirs however.

Welcome aboard the Pocket Mod BTW, be aware that you are playing an older version (but the still the latest version) and that the mod is still in the development stage and constantly evolving. The only version you need to (and the only version you can) download is the latest version. This will always supersede previous versions. Feel free to stick around and contribute.

Last edited by caravel; 05-15-2007 at 08:15.

Thanks for the reply Cambyses, and sorry for wasting your valuable time.

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites
    Thanks for the reply Cambyses, and sorry for wasting your valuable time.
    Not a waste of time at all, any and all observations/complaints/bug reports are valued.

I don't know if this is PM specific or general, but I´ve noticed problems with the names of Hungarian and Spanish generals (a "cannot insert name" or something like that message).

(That being said, I´ve not played in a while, as I have univ. exams on me soonish.)
    Iä Cthulhu!

Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

I've fixed the Spanish generals' names already. I was experimenting with adding extra Spanish names at some point (very early in the mod's development) and hadn't undone some of the changes when I'd taken them out again. I've never changed the Hungarian names though, so I'm not sure what's causing that. A screenshot or the exact error message would be a help.

nevermind, I tried a custom game right now (with plenty of units for potential wrong name hits) and found no trouble. Besides, on my last games I've not found any trouble with hungarian names either.

It might trace back to v.1.05, in which I fancied that perhaps the Spanish names problem was due to accented names and surnames, and proceeded to remove the offenders from the list (acidentally removing similarily spelt Hungarian names and surnames), hence leaving both broken
    Iä Cthulhu!

The Spanish name problem was in v1.0 - v1.0.6b and is now fixed. It won't be in the next version.
    Last edited by caravel; 05-16-2007 at 13:42.

Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: Summary (ps Ever playe d KINGMAKER?)

This is specifically regarding how you've handled the knights :)

I suggested something vaguely similar on a mtw2 mod forum a bit back- and it got derailed by the knights cant dismount/different troop type mechanic which i consider basiaclly a huge BUG of M2tw.

Anyway; I'm referring to how armor upgrades are done.
    Now; let me preface by saying i have a lot of issue with knights or samurai being trained in 1 year; lol - blame risk and axis &allies? -
    and i dislike that militia and peasant levies can become a standing army...

But what i ahd asked was; that by upgrading armor - and i liked how m2tw spelled out what each armor upgrade was-
    you HOWEVER were changing what the troop type really WAS.
    i mean you can CALL your light militia troops light infantry; but when you have them upgraded to; i dont recall; chainmail like i did - should they still MOVE like light infantry?
    Because by josh; they ARENT light infantry now...

when they weapon upgrades; are they STILL using.. spears?

As i said i mentioned this elsewhere (mod db?) and it got mired and frankly i quit playing m2tw due to the 'bug' ( the ai is already..hmmmn.. when you WIN b/c the enemy CANT dismount and take a wall of archers devastating them;; it just kills the game for me.. a player can plan around that - annoyance - but the ai?).

ANYWAY - but i see you actually took some of the same idea -
    iwas just curious if you had considered extending that principle - that NOT just for knights; but for troops in general;

the light - medium - heavy requires the facilities to produce FOR THE KINGS ARMIES ( i wont get into the discussion of how its NOT feudal in these games - hard to sell ) armor sufficient for that

weapons-making facilities appropriate to their armament...(rather than 'upgrades')

Please understand i'm NOT asking you to 'fix' your mod to how I'd do it -
    i was just surprised to see someone take a similar tact (that armorers might bea UNIT TYPE requirement) - and wondered if you had considered applying that logic to other troop types?

Me; i can say i THOUGHT of it; and i admit i lost heart b/c i was told the 'bug' couldn't be fixed in m2tw - which is why next time i wanted medieval i reloaded VI and here i am :).

Hi The Badger,
    I'm sorry to say that I'm not too sure on this matter, but I think, that Caravel will be revolutionising the concept of armouries and recruitment in his next version (1.0.7) to the way which you have described. However, as I have said, I'm not completely sure, so you may have to wait for Caravel to confirm it. I'm very sorry about my uncertainty.

Default Re: Armory as Preq. for Heavier Troop Types

Thanks for the response; and sorry if the original post now that i re-read it again; is a bit meandering.

I think the oririnal STW idea of how you qualified for troops was fairly revolutionary; especially the idea of troops that had multiple requirements.

I see no reason for the idea to continue to develop; tho' I don't know hat i would call Caravel's fix or my suggested extension of its logic; really revolutionary...

Again; Its Not my intent to tell someone else WHAT to mod for me since I'm such a beginner; but rather to ask i it had been considered yet ( or done).

If i may say so; my opinion i sthat ALL troops should be thought of as multiple- axes of requirements ( of qualities)

Professionalism(peasant,proessional; noble);
    Equipment; (which i suppose arms and armor - seperate breakdowns)
    and then region is a factor for another thread.

anyway; i suppose that would mean we define each troop requiremnt by 3 axes...
    Might be too complicated for most people's interest.

Thank you for all the input, and I am sorry that I've been largely absent over the last month or so. I've just started a new job and have a lot of other business to sort out also so I haven't been able to spend any time on the mod lately. Hopefully once things calm down a bit I should be able to get started again sometime around September/October time.

Good to hear from you Caravel,

take care

Noir

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Welcome back, mate. Good to see you again.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Good luck with the new job and the modding.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Good luck Caravel and welcome back!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 08-07-2007 at 14:07.

Quote Originally Posted by The Badger
    This is specifically regarding how you've handled the knights :)

I suggested something vaguely similar on a mtw2 mod forum a bit back- and it got derailed by the knights cant dismount/different troop type mechanic which i consider basiaclly a huge BUG of M2tw.

Anyway; I'm referring to how armor upgrades are done.
    Now; let me preface by saying i have a lot of issue with knights or samurai being trained in 1 year; lol - blame risk and axis &allies? -
    and i dislike that militia and peasant levies can become a standing army...

But what i ahd asked was; that by upgrading armor - and i liked how m2tw spelled out what each armor upgrade was-
    you HOWEVER were changing what the troop type really WAS.
    i mean you can CALL your light militia troops light infantry; but when you have them upgraded to; i dont recall; chainmail like i did - should they still MOVE like light infantry?
    Because by josh; they ARENT light infantry now...

when they weapon upgrades; are they STILL using.. spears?

As i said i mentioned this elsewhere (mod db?) and it got mired and frankly i quit playing m2tw due to the 'bug' ( the ai is already..hmmmn.. when you WIN b/c the enemy CANT dismount and take a wall of archers devastating them;; it just kills the game for me.. a player can plan around that - annoyance - but the ai?).

ANYWAY - but i see you actually took some of the same idea -
    iwas just curious if you had considered extending that principle - that NOT just for knights; but for troops in general;

the light - medium - heavy requires the facilities to produce FOR THE KINGS ARMIES ( i wont get into the discussion of how its NOT feudal in these games - hard to sell ) armor sufficient for that

weapons-making facilities appropriate to their armament...(rather than 'upgrades')

Please understand i'm NOT asking you to 'fix' your mod to how I'd do it -
    i was just surprised to see someone take a similar tact (that armorers might bea UNIT TYPE requirement) - and wondered if you had considered applying that logic to other troop types?

Me; i can say i THOUGHT of it; and i admit i lost heart b/c i was told the 'bug' couldn't be fixed in m2tw - which is why next time i wanted medieval i reloaded VI and here i am :).
    Hi, I too still enjoy MTW and STW and also RTW-BI, and you Badger and Caravel are 110% correct about Armories being a requirement for certain troop types rather than providing simple upgrades to all troop types, and Armories includes blacksmiths of course.

Peasants and Militia with super upgraded weapons are ahistorical and actually a bit of a joke. I can see them being upgraded at a Blacksmith maybe once due to battlefield scavenging etc., but upgradeable to the max!!!

Nice to meet you all, thanx, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christof139
    Hi, I too still enjoy MTW and STW and also RTW-BI, and you Badger and Caravel are 110% correct about Armories being a requirement for certain troop types rather than providing simple upgrades to all troop types, and Armories includes blacksmiths of course.

Peasants and Militia with super upgraded weapons are ahistorical and actually a bit of a joke. I can see them being upgraded at a Blacksmith maybe once due to battlefield scavenging etc., but upgradeable to the max!!!

Nice to meet you all, thanx, Chris
    Welcome christof139, upgrades are indeed ahistorical in MTW, but that is not a major issue. The main problem with upgrades is that they imbalance gameplay quite significantly. Upgrades are also illogical in that armour upgrades = worse in desert, which is clearly ridiculous. Newer armour would have been much more comfortable and lighter than older types of armour. Also weapons upgrades simply improve attack which is also ahistorical. If MTW had dynamics where lower quality weapons could break in combat then weapons upgrades would make sense, as things stand they make no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel
    Welcome christof139, upgrades are indeed ahistorical in MTW, but that is not a major issue. The main problem with upgrades is that they imbalance gameplay quite significantly. Upgrades are also illogical in that armour upgrades = worse in desert, which is clearly ridiculous. Newer armour would have been much more comfortable and lighter than older types of armour. Also weapons upgrades simply improve attack which is also ahistorical. If MTW had dynamics where lower quality weapons could break in combat then weapons upgrades would make sense, as things stand they make no sense at all.

Thanx for the welcome and hello, nice to meet you.

Yes, that is what we are getting at, they imbalance game play!!! Lower class units with super armor and weapons is very ahistorical.

As for the Desert regions and factions, well, due to the Crusades, Muslim armor did become heavier and more effective, and Cataphracts/Clibinari were in use in those areas long before the Crusades occurred.

Yeah, I know that weapons upgrades only upgrade attack value, and that attack can also be modded elsewhere and otherwise in the basic stats of troops, which lower attack stats value would be indicative of none or little or poor training, low morale, weapons of inferior and improvised make and nature respectively, etc.

So, the soultion is to do what you are/may be doing. A brilliant idea BTW!!!

A lot of file editing to limit what types of troops can be upgraded at armories I would think, as I haven't modded any files in a couple of years and would guess that is how to limit lower class troops from getting super arms and armor.

Super Peasants etc. are a drag.

Chris

Bug: Novogrod start with Catholic Spearmen, not the Round-Shield ones. Already fixed it for myself, but others may not be able to.
    #Hillary4prism

I've been experimenting with an altered tech tree with no armory, a militia line which trains mercenarish and city units, and a court line training "nobility/gendry" units. I also disconnected the spearmaker from the town watch line. It worked specially well at halting Byzantine monster empire building...
    Iä Cthulhu!

Hello,
    Just downloaded and installed the pocket mod and experienced a CTD, I thought it would be best if I report it to you guys.
    Information you may need;

Playing as? Danes.
    Period? Early.
    Year? Exact year unknown - before 1100.
    GA? Yes.
    What happened? I took Sweeden, and the next year Finland (using the landbridge). 2 years after taking Finland, I decided to check whether or not the People of Novogrod had Finland as a homeland target (I now remember they don't, which is irrelevant, but I'm just covering my...). Anyway, I clicked on the GA thing, the window opened up, I found TPON and clicked to see their GA info - CTD.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Frunk the Guest.

P.S. The mod is looking great, keep up the good work.

Welcome Frunk the Guest,

The version you are playing is a very old one. The latest unreleased version is very different to that. The Novgorod GA goals problem will always occur, it is a bug that cannot be fixed AFAIK. Unfortunately the next version of the PoM will not have GA mode.

The MTW Pocket Mod v1.0.7A-Alpha has been released.

IMPORTANT: This is an ALPHA version, and is totally untested and unfinished. Download and use only if you wish to participate in testing, balancing and refinement of the mod. I will not be working on the mod again for the foreseeable future so anyone that wishes to do so can continue to work on the mod, as the distribution contains all needed files.

The mod is available as is: Please do not contact me for support. If you post support questions in this thread I will not answer them.

This release is not savegame compatible with any previous versions

Many changes have been made to this version so there are likely to be a lot of bugs. These should be fixed by the player and can then be posted up here for the benefit of others.

Caravel

Last edited by caravel; 10-21-2008 at 23:20.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Congratulations Caravel.

Another download link:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...hp?linkid=1069
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Smile Re: MTW Pocket Mod: Summary, Download and Bug Reports

Is there a simple reason why I can only see Early and Viking? Is this intended?

******************08/11/08******************************

High and Late vanilla startpos files are non compatible with the mod so they don't appear. The High and Later eras will be added in the future once the Early era is completely finished.
    Last edited by caravel; 11-08-2008 at 17:54.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Ok, I've downloaded and installed the Pocket Mod successfully, this is my first time playing it so it should be a good surprise. Anyway I started a campaign (early) as the Byzantines and in my short lived campaign I've noticed a few things that you should know (maybe add them to a 'to do' list?):
    • Catholic archers have a plural name of Forester, shouldn't it be Foresters?
    • Muslim spearmen have no review panel/battle icon pic.
    • Island of Rhodes is not a separate province, was this done on purpose?
    • No production of Byzantine troops on Crete, well at least up to the point where I got up to...
    • The game CTD'd at year 1104/1105 I can't remember exactly, the last thing that happened was the sound of a scroll opening... missing text on an event, perhaps?

Unfortunately that's how far I got into the game after feuding with the Seljuks for a few years. I did not have autosave on nor did I manually save it, I tried loading the last quicksave but it failed to load... thus there is no evidence that I had even played that campaign.
    I'll post more when I get another chance to play a campaign. But I like the ideas the mod brings to the game... the unit rosters are very neat and tidy, and I like how you've cut up large provinces into smaller ones like Greece into Athens and Thessaly, etc. I can't wait for a fully finished version.

Edit: Oh I didn't even read that post, well... I hope you get back to the mod soon, Caravel... and I hope your idea of the Foreseeable Future is different from my idea...

******************08/11/08******************************
    • FIXED - Error in names.txt
    • FIXED - Missing files
    • Province was removed and replaced with the province of Antalya
    • FIXED - Cyprus and Crete missing as homelands from Byzantine units.
    • FIXED - CTD at 1105/1106 - Sufism event caused crash because Syria no longer existed. Mosul now renamed back to Syria internally - still appears as Mosul in game.
    Last edited by caravel; 11-08-2008 at 17:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    Muslim spearmen have no review panel/battle icon pic.
    Hmm, what's the description for them and/or what do they look like in battle, I might be able to cook something up since I'm doing that sorta stuff for my mod.
    #Hillary4prism

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast