Thread: RTR or EB

Default RTR or EB

Whats the difference between RTR and EB, I think EB has more factions but for some reason more people love RTR

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: RTR or EB

EB has more factions, almost 500 units, TONS of buildings, unique units and buildings...Everything you want.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

EB is more realistic. Literrally.
    This means, it adds many new contents (a true Cursus Honorum for Rome, a Triumphal system, a 4tpy, a supply system which has an effect on morale, the Olympic Games, new interesting factions such as the saba and saka, much more historical research from what I can tell, reforms for various factions, events such as recovering Alexander's body from Alexandria, many special sites which represents the wonders of the world, and plenty more stuff that I'm forgetting now)

RTR is more gameplay oriented, I think. It's been such a long time since I played it (I'm a RTR refugee, who came to EB)
    Now, I played EB and I can't go back to RTR. I'm just so used to the features, and skins.

Basically, you should download RTR, play it a bit, then download EB, play that a bit and decide which you prefer. It all comes down to you.

And, welcome to the Org!
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

She pushed me ... Member Arkatreides's Avatar

Both are great mods and to be honest it all comes down to personal preference.

EB is 100% historical within the limits of the engine. This means however that it is slower paced and more hard work to get into than RTR. EB also has more features which means it runs ever so slightly slower.

RTR is way more historical than vanilla but it does sacrifice some historical accuracy in order to keep the game fast-paced and relatively easy to get into.

We can clone a sheep but we cannot clone a single photon.

It must also be noted that due to EB features slowing the computer down, you will have a loading screen (pre menu) of 10 minutes, if you have a decent computer.
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

10 minutes a exagerrated. My comp is far from the newest (it was top notch when I bought it but that is 4 years ago) and if I have to wait for 5 minutes, it would be long.

Both are excellent Mods... I played RTR before coming to EB. RTR is easier to get started than EB. Prefering one over the other comes down to personal choice. I am happy that i played/play both.
    One possible reason that more people play RTR than EB is bcos EB is still a beta. People might be hesitant to play for fear/hatred of CTDs. Atleast I know that is the reason i did not try EB earlier.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

With all due respect to the E.B. team pre-0.8 had a beta feeling to it but it was clear that it was very ambitious and everything wasn't working quite right it really felt unpolished.
    Never tried RTR but after playing EB 0.8 from january till now I have to say I'm not even considering anything else.

Yeah, you're right, I may have been exagerating a bit Moros.
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

Ambassador of Bartix Member Tiberius Nero's Avatar

Let's not forget that the current official version of RTR is ancient compared to the current one of EB; it figures that the current RTR cannot be compared with current EB on grounds of work put to it.
    Wow, got 3 ballons in one fell swoop

don't ever forget that EB has the wonderful and unique Voice Mods of Shigawire et al (Gallic, Latin, and Greek in .81a, with many many more to come!)- that kind of detail which is seen by use of linguistics is just a small aspect of the historicism and dedication that makes EB great!

I've spent a lot of time on RTR and it's more vanilla-esc than EB, in my opinion that is (although RTR is hardly vanilla, with much more detail and history). Vanilla RTW is focus'ed on quick fun gameplay, so it's not necessarily a bad trait... Like a Hollywood movie has explosions, car chases and love scenes, which almost everyone enjoys. Thus popularity lies in the cheap thrill, and it's wonderful that a decent mod like RTR is so popular because it rises above cheap thrills... but if you want the ultimate experience: detailed buildings, units, factions, scripted historical events, character traits, AS WELL AS fun and gameplay- EB is where it's at. The only complaint I've ever really seen about it is it is so deep... so one can choose to dive in or one can skim the surface.
    Last edited by blitzkrieg80; 05-14-2007 at 23:52.
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes þū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

Again, one must remeber that RTR 6 and all its builds were brought out in '05 that is a heck of a long time ago. For the time it was awsome!
    EB thus easily takes the win this time because it is so far in advance and the team is always to be congratulated for their dedication to something which must chomp away at their spare time.
    A fairer comparison will be to compare RTR 7 with the next build of EB maybe?
    RTR 7 offers things such as army pay levels, extra factions and increased unit detail.
    EB offers more of a time warp, literally EB is a freakin interactive Classics class

EB 8.0 had me pumped and excited,
    RTR 7 also has that effect.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Hope some of the answers were helpful. These threads generally are not good for our own productivity, any single member's ability to keep their foot out of their mouth, and the relationship between the two mod teams. The answers here are obviously liable to be ones that favor EB I will add, so it's better to have these discussions off the EB forum.

I saw one of these on a general RTW modding forum over at TWC yesterday: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98214

Here is one recently on this forum where they are "debating" the matter:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...t=82796&page=2

Someone trying to start it up a few days ago on the .com forum:
    http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic...-Question.html

Thread closed.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 05-15-2007 at 04:00.