Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to RTW and EB

Default Newbie to RTW and EB

Greetings;

An 'old' newbie ancients miniature gamer giving this a whirl for the first time. I've played around a little with starting a campaign, just getting used to the mechanics, so forgive me if these questions seem a bit, uhmm adolescent!

1.It appears as if the advisor toggle on the screens don't work. I follow the instructions each time I fire up a saved game (clicking on a city, and enabling the advisor help text). Am I doing something wrong.

2.Not sure what buildings to build, in order to advance the technology for my faction (played Romani).

3.I've enjoyed reading some of the AAR's, and it seems as if some are customizing the mod further, (to include unit names Cohort I, Cohort II, etc.) is this possible?

4.Mnai, or the lack of it seems to be an issue early on. I have tried to initiate some trade agreements with other nations. Does this help? What helps to increase the $$$.

5.Can you merge 2 depleted units into 1 (say, 2 units of Equites of 4 and 5, into one unit of 9)?

6. Really love this mod, by the way. Kudos to all the hard work. I'll probably have more questions later.

Dave

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Default Re: Newbie to RTW and EB

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSmith
    1.It appears as if the advisor toggle on the screens don't work. I follow the instructions each time I fire up a saved game (clicking on a city, and enabling the advisor help text). Am I doing something wrong.
    Click on the "Show me how" button so the advisor goes away, or if he doesn't his face so he does. Then click on a city again; if the advisor doesn't turn up again to talk about the script, it's working (it doesn't always "engage" at the first try, I've noticed.)
    2.Not sure what buildings to build, in order to advance the technology for my faction (played Romani).
    Define "technology". The Romans have a good three or so military reforms, whose trigger conditions are explained in the FAQ.
    3.I've enjoyed reading some of the AAR's, and it seems as if some are customizing the mod further, (to include unit names Cohort I, Cohort II, etc.) is this possible?
    Yes. Some other minimods include cunctator's stuff too.
    4.Mnai, or the lack of it seems to be an issue early on. I have tried to initiate some trade agreements with other nations. Does this help? What helps to increase the $$$.
    Disband your units and navies and such until you're "back in black", or go on a conquest spree. Depends on a style of play and the exact faction really which is recommended. Trade agreements help, but only slightly.
    5.Can you merge 2 depleted units into 1 (say, 2 units of Equites of 4 and 5, into one unit of 9)?
    Sure. Drag and Drop the unit cards over each other. Hitting the letter "m" on your keyboard with a stack chosen will also auto-merge depleted units, although it'll ignore those that are only a couple of men short.
    Last edited by Watchman; 05-14-2007 at 21:14.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

1. you have to press the show me how button on the advisor.
    2. Well, this is kinda peculiar. It depends what you're looking for. If it's troops you have to upgrade your barracks (you have local and faction barracks and in Italy, local won't be good). And first you have to build governments (see the thread about the MIC explanation that is stickied and there is a topic explaining govs somewhere but I can't seem to find it...).
    If you're into trade, you have to develop markets and such. For more information, right click on the buildings you see.

3. There are some costomizations for EB but what you're talking is mostly players naming their armies. Not in game feature tough.

4. Trade agreements help. But you need to improve your trading buildings in your towns. Building mines also helps... A lot! :)

5.Yes

Hope this helps. Oh and welome to the .org

EDIT: Watchman, you beat me to it :)

Cheers...
    Last edited by mAIOR; 05-14-2007 at 21:45.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Enabling the script through the advisor 'show me how' is imperative to the EB experience. The script governs much of what makes EB so great. Make sure the first thing you do when you start a new game or load a saved game is to activate the script with the advisor.

Gosh, thanks for the quick response. I've been reading through the The bulls of Roma (3rd Legion) AAR..........impressive. This is a very deep and satisfying mod......almost is enough to replace my miniature gaming.

Dave
    http://www.miniwars.com

Dave,

Love your miniwar site

Ive always wanted to start painting minature battle recreations ever since I saw the movie Ronin. But I have to admit whenever Ive checked out minature sites a) I get confused by all the sizes and makes - which one I should use etc

b) many of the figure look a bit cartoonish or warhammer dwarfish if you get my meaning, where I was looking for as real as possible looking minatures, and probably the smaller the better because then you could create 'big battle scenes'

any advice for a minature newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunus Dogus
    Dave,

Love your miniwar site

Ive always wanted to start painting minature battle recreations ever since I saw the movie Ronin. But I have to admit whenever Ive checked out minature sites a) I get confused by all the sizes and makes - which one I should use etc

b) many of the figure look a bit cartoonish or warhammer dwarfish if you get my meaning, where I was looking for as real as possible looking minatures, and probably the smaller the better because then you could create 'big battle scenes'

any advice for a minature newbie

Yunus Dogus;

I would suggest 10mm. Enough detail to look the part, and still gives a mass appearance. Lots of companies out there are producing 10mm minis now, after the release of Ancient Warmaster.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Dave

Take a look at the Unit Development art thread with work by Caratacos. His latest stuff, some of which we are saving for the next build, really does rival some of the best Osprey stuff at this point I think.

Thanks for the help guys.

Another question that has come up. When an enemy sallies forth from my a laying a seige on him, I don't have time to deploy. Rather, than just accept where the AI deploys my units, is there another way for me to position my units. Seems like the enemy units are on me before I have a chance to redeploy. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Newbie to RTW and EB

Short of modding the descr_formations.txt there is nothing you can do about this, and modding this file is a lot of work and the effects won't be limited to siege battles.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Short of modding the descr_formations.txt there is nothing you can do about this, and modding this file is a lot of work and the effects won't be limited to siege battles.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply!

Dave

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Yeah, that is something that has always been there in RTW. I understand not being able to deploy, but I wish it would be paused. I have lost many battles when I walk out when it is loading and come back ten minutes later to find my army half destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Yeah, that is something that has always been there in RTW. I understand not being able to deploy, but I wish it would be paused. I have lost many battles when I walk out when it is loading and come back ten minutes later to find my army half destroyed.
    Ouch! Ive had that happen too...totally sucks

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Especially if your being ambushed!
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Default WAs:Newbie to RTW and EB; Now: How cool is that!

Wow.......Just laid seige to Rhegum (sp.), the enemy army came out on the last turn of the seige (seems they always do!). My Romans did well inflicting 3-4 casualties to my 1. This was ongoing in a driving rainstorm (very cool effects), and then Hamilcar shows up with a small reinforcement army that had a unit of African elephants. They charged into an enemy levy phalanx that was surrounded by my Princeps and Hastati. I backed my units out of the way (just in case the elephants ran amok), and they just pulverized them. Wow, I've played this on the tabletop, but watching it on the screen and hearing it........no wonder this game is addictive. As I scrolled down to get in the thick of the fighting, I saw on the horizon what appeared to be an active volcano spewing off black smoke.......very, very nice. BTW, took Rhegum and put the inhabitants to the sword!

Dave

Default Re: WAs:Newbie to RTW and EB; Now: How cool is that!

Very addictive...first time i saw elephants i nearly soiled myself. lol

Incredible site David!! The paint jobs are awesome.

I'm a newbie myself, so I hope the original poster wouldn't mind if I used this thread to ask some of my own stupid questions.

For horse archers, how do I change my archer horsemen to fight with melee weaponry? Even when I run out of ammo for my arrow, I'm frustrated that my horsemen will not charge. Cataphract archers should be able to attack as well as shoot.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

*whimper*
    ...see here.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by roastedpekingduck
    I'm a newbie myself, so I hope the original poster wouldn't mind if I used this thread to ask some of my own stupid questions.

No problem-o;

CA mentioned in his fabulous AAR that he turned off the flags. How does one go about turning the flags off.......I think they are a bit distracting too! Thanks.

Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSmith
    CA mentioned in his fabulous AAR that he turned off the flags. How does one go about turning the flags off.......I think they are a bit distracting too! Thanks.
    Go to [Your R:TW folder]\EB\Preferences\Preferences.txt and change the line "SHOW_BANNERS:TRUE" to "SHOW_BANNERS:FALSE". Other tips to enhance the battlefield are to set "DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:FALSE" to "DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:TRUE", and "MINIMAL_UI:FALSE" to "MINIMAL_UI:TRUE".

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Go to [Your R:TW folder]\EB\Preferences\Preferences.txt and change the line "SHOW_BANNERS:TRUE" to "SHOW_BANNERS:FALSE". Other tips to enhance the battlefield are to set "DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:FALSE" to "DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:TRUE", and "MINIMAL_UI:FALSE" to "MINIMAL_UI:TRUE".

Thanks Ludens. I appreciate the help!

Dave

I just made those changes so hopefully the screenshots will look better in my AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon
    Incredible site David!! The paint jobs are awesome.

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy miniature gaming. But I am really enjoying EB/RTW right now. No tactile enjoyment (pushing around the lead units on the table), but certainly the sounds/visuals are much enhanced. Plus, you can play the AI and don't have to wait for an opponent (human).

Dave

David

From one newbie (to RTW/EB anyways) welcome aboard, and let me add my praise to the rest for your excellent brush work.

I dipped my toe into miniatures gaming but just don't have the space or time anymore.

Thank Jupiter for Creative Assembly products!
    Overheard at wargaming convention -

'I never had any time for Pyrrhus - if there's one thing I can't stand it's a bad winner!'

I am new for Europa Barbarorum and have some question seeking an answer.
    I take the initial request in this thread from David Smith who asked:
    "1.It Appears as if the advisor toggle on the screens do not work. I follow the Instructions Each time I fire up a saved game (clicking on a city, enabling the advisor and help text). Am I doing something wrong. "
    After following the instructions, clicking on "show me how and advisor disappears.
    You say that it's okay, it means that he is working ...
    uhmmm, OK, but what kind of work he does if not reappear throughout the game never to give me some advice ...?
    In other words how can I ask the advisor to give me advices that I expect from him, being activated at the beginning of the game a high frequency of its interventions? He seems to me a "fugitive advisor"...
    2 - What does they mean AARs?
    3 - How can I command the unit to get on a mobile siege tower. All the units seem very reluctant to rise and so waste time and my men are decimated by archers on the walls ... All kind of infantry unit can raise on the tower or no ?
    Thanks for the time and I wish all a Happy New Year!

Blog Entries

1) In EB the advisor is used for scripted events (and starting the script) alone: I think they disabled normal advice. The normal advice isn't relevant to someone familiar with R:TW, anyway.

2) AAR means after-action report: a write-up of how your battle/campaign went.

3) All infantry infantry is capable of using siege towers, but the towers don't always work for some reason. It's a bug of R:TW, not EB.

Welcome to the .Org and to EB, and happy new year .

Thanks Ludens.
    So the advisor is practically useless in EB ...
    So you can not get advice, for example, on what buildings to construct, as in RTW, etc.
    Furthermore, I had a couple of questions.
    1) - Playing with the Romans during the battle I hear speak in the Latin language. But what I hear is a terrible pronunciation that makes one shiver (bad accents, harsh and guttural tones that make it incomprehensible every word, etc.). So I ask if and where I can find the text files (not the audio files, the ones I've seen where they are) so I can eventually replace them with other similar but recorded with my voice (of course only for personal use).
    2) - Similarly, I would like to replace with more understandable words (in Italian which is my native language) the names of some units of barbarian factions - while appreciating the effort of historical research and realism - are for me really unreadable and so difficult to identify. Is it possible?

Thank you so much for the moment.

A greeting from Mensonchino

Blog Entries

It's been a while since I modded R:TW, so I cannot help you other than to say that both are fairly easy to do provided you know which file to edit. Search our modding forums for more details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast