Thread: Hoplite Nitpick

Default Hoplite Nitpick

I have a feeling this is a limitation of the Rome Total War's engine, but it seems like the hoplites (overhand spearmen) have the exact same attack range as sword-bearing units. I understand that it's a different formation than the two-handed phalanx, but the second row doesn't try to take potshots even though their spears would easily reach.

I'll post a screenshot tonight if I have time.
    Currently playing as:

Want to play Europa Barbarorum on Barbarian Invasion? Read all about it!
    Thanks for the balloons!

Big Brother got you down? Join the Freedom Group on the .org!

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Hoplite Nitpick

Yeah, that's a RTW thing. Only the first row can attack.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Hoplite Nitpick

Hmm, i could have sworn i've seen more than one row attack, that might be cause I use BI and shield walls though?
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

No idea really, but I've noticed that the combination of the BI shieldwall and the "spear" weapon attribute (this was on the "double armed" Massiloi Hoplitai incidentally - the "spear" attribute has enough odd issues I don't use it for troops with just one melee weapon) seemed to prompt at least the second rank to do their attack animation whereas when the same unit employed swords only the first rank did.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

I am using BI. How do you use/enable the shield wall?
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

My only extremely minor beef is Hoplites depending on which faction look like they're wearing leather armor vs. lino.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Quote Originally Posted by Ferromancer
    You find the unit entry in the EDU and add ", shield_wall" to the end of the formation line. It takes a bit more work to get the proper interface icon though.

Quote Originally Posted by russia almighty
    My only extremely minor beef is Hoplites depending on which faction look like they're wearing leather armor vs. lino.
    Any reason why they couldn't be - or linothorax covered with leather, for that matter ?
    Last edited by Watchman; 05-14-2007 at 22:22.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Quote Originally Posted by Ferromancer
    Use one of the several mods available to give units shield wall, or do it yourself in the EDU.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by russia almighty
    Most linthorax is cothered with leather to protect it from the wet, and to add that little bit extra bodily protection. However in most cases it is bleached white. The actual linthorax itself would be a rather mucky colour, what with the undyed linin and the glue.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

some Hoplites even have bronze scales in thier Linothorax. In my aedui campain I am training Hoplites from southern italy and they have bonze scales. Its cool when you line them up next to mercenary hoplites. You get a nice view of different shiled designs.

I like it.

Could someone please post me a link to the mod that enables a shield wall? I'm having trouble finding it on google and in the forums? Thanks.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Thorlof's.
    JMRC's.
    Mine. I'm thinking of revising this one in the near future though.

hmm, I took a look at those links, and they all seem to modify things other than just unit formations. You mentioned that if I add shield_wall myself to the unit files, I won't have the icon for it? Then how do I use the shield wall in the game?

EDIT: It seems that Watchman's mod makes the fewest changes.
    Last edited by Ferromancer; 05-16-2007 at 03:37.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Watchman: I got your mod to work, shieldwall is available for hoplite units, such as Triarii. However, all my samnite medium spearmen look like legionnaires now! Any way I could fix this bug? Reloaded the game, and everything looked fine. Maybe I was looking at a centurion from another unit.
    Last edited by Ferromancer; 05-16-2007 at 04:58.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!