Thread: SATA Booting Problem

Default SATA Booting Problem

A few months ago, I installed two new SATA hard drives to my MSI K8t Neo-Fis2r motherboard. I managed to install Windows XP to one of the drives using one of the driver diskettes that was provided to me. Just recently, I removed my old IDE hard drives, and I find that I cannot boot to the SATA hard drives. What I had been doing earlier was to allow the Symantec Startup feature to select the version of Windows I wanted to start up from. It appears that the Norton on the IDE hard drive was activating the menu I was booting the SATA drive from.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck I am missing that is not allowing the SATA drive to boot? I don't want to have to reinstall Windows to that drive and then have to reinstall all of my drivers and software, especially when Windows is already on it.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Default Re: SATA Booting Problem

I guess that Norton client did some custom things to your boot sector etc, whatever that was.
    A fix may be to boot from a diskette and use the fixmbr command to fix your bootsector, but since I'm not an expert, you may want to wait for more knowledgeable opinions. But you may get other problems if your Windows on that disk thinks it's installed on disk F: for example but after removing the others, it's suddenly on drive C: or so, I actually never tried to remove my primary drive and boot from thesecondary, it's one of the things I'd reinstall Windows for.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Default Re: SATA Booting Problem

Some work with the Recovery Console allowed me to get the options I previously had, this time with XP instead of Symantec. I'll probably play with the booting later, but for now I have what I want. Thanks!
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima