Thread: Question about units that use both spear and sword.

Harbinger of the Doomed Rat Member Biggus Diccus's Avatar

Default Question about units that use both spear and sword.

Let me first say that this is a awesome mod! I'm just starting to explore it a little and it is obvious that a massive amount of work has been invested in it. I find that my performance in battles is much more imortant now, since everything is more expensive and casualties really hurt money-wise. This is why I have tried to use my units to their maximum potential and I have some questions in that regard...

Is it possible to make units that have sword primary/spear secondary to deploy with spear defensively to get the braced bonuses? And in what situations should I have them use spear or sword (I know about ALT+right-click). Is it just as simple as sword vs infantry and spear vs cavalry, or is there som other hidden bonuses apart from attack value? Like attack speed or lethality for the different weapons?
    General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmaney Melchett: That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

Default Re: Question about units that use both spear and sword.

At least for cavalry, spear/lance/whatever is usually best for charging while swords are better for continued melee fighting. But you can take a look at the stats yourself in the unit cards here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70
    Veni
    Vidi
    Velcro

Is it possible to make units that have sword primary/spear secondary to deploy with spear defensively to get the braced bonuses? And in what situations should I have them use spear or sword (I know about ALT+right-click). Is it just as simple as sword vs infantry and spear vs cavalry, or is there som other hidden bonuses apart from attack value? Like attack speed or lethality for the different weapons?
    There are several sword/spear Infantry units in EB (Solduros, Hypaspistai, Gastiz...), but i don't know how the bonusses for them work.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

do Hypaspistai use spears by default or swords?

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Question about units that use both spear and sword.

Swords I think. IIRC all dual units do, thats why hoplites and triarii had to have their swords removed.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

That's all very confusing for me. Do I have to change the weapon manually or will the unit choose the right automatically? E. G. spear against cavalry, sword against infantry.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Question about units that use both spear and sword.

They will to a certain extent, but only individualy, to change the whole unit you need to use alt. right click.
    Last edited by Pharnakes; 05-19-2007 at 21:02.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Question about units that use both spear and sword.

My Hypaspistai always stand around with their swords... but when an enemy comes along, the ones fighting switch to spears, the rest stay with their swords.

So if I ALT-click on the enemy, don't they switch entirely to spears? How do I get them to use their swords? And wouldn't they leave their position when I tell them "attack"? I want them to hold the line.

Sword Spear units:

If you click to Attack an enemy unit, they charge with their spears but then switch to the swords in hand to hand fighting. If a soldier gets knocked down and stands up again he begins fighting with his spear (thats why you always see some soldiers fighting with their spears while the units attacks with their swords)

If you want them to fight with their spears (against cavalry) you need to alt + click on the enemy.

The problem with ALT-clicking is that usually cavalry charges infantry, not the other way around.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

Why do sword/spear infantry use sword as primary?

I've heard it's a bug that the team has trouble fixing, but don't believe everything I say.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MastaSpoofa
    Why do sword/spear infantry use sword as primary?
    can't be the other way around except for phalanx infantry, I believe.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Could also be the AI's issues with secondary weapons (namely, Does Not Use) and the penalties the "spear" attribute has against infantry.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster