Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MP Wishlist @ .COM

Auspicious Interceptor Member YellowMelon's Avatar

Default MP Wishlist @ .COM

OK, time for us to start posting at the .com and getting our voice heard. Together we can prevent the gangbanging SP crowd. I made a Kingdoms wishlist post, please post what you want for MP in Kingdoms.

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic...-Wishlist.html
    Last edited by YellowMelon; 05-15-2007 at 17:17.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: MP Wishlist @ .COM

sure. not to start a flame war, but yea, I seen SP player gangbang MP and quite annoying.

Almost no-one visits .coms MP forum (it's just the members of the NF clan and me normally) so your save from the hardcore SP fans, tho I do suggest to be kind to them. .com has strict rules.

I also suggest you don't have it stickied but send to someone from CA, they never check the MP forum

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

.. wishlist.. just reduce the bloody lag..
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Quote Originally Posted by tootee
    .. wishlist.. just reduce the bloody lag..
    lol, agreed man

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

I keep saying we need seperate patches for mp and sp. Then we could concentrate on making mp better. I could care less about sp. Im sure there are many here who agree. Sp is only good for testing armies in custom battles and you could make a patch that works on that as part of the mp patch as well.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

I keep saying we need seperate patches for mp and sp. Then we could concentrate on making mp better. I could care less about sp. Im sure there are many here who agree. Sp is only good for testing armies in custom battles and you could make a patch that works on that as part of the mp patch as well.
    Agreed. Future is on MP not on SP. It is up to them if they want this to realize or not. I will purchase expansion when released in December. If there would be no improvements for MP I will understand this as ignorance and only memories on Total War series will remain.
    ''Constant training is the only Way to learn strategy.''

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    I keep saying we need seperate patches for mp and sp.
    That's advocated since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonar
    Future is on MP not on SP.
    Computers become more and more powerful, so more should be expected from 'creative'/'responsive' AI gameplay. I won't make claims about tomorrow though.

Not every person wants the extra emotional load from online games (whether that's patience to wait for a game or something else).

Both SP and MP have a future. It's contra-productive for MP to bash SP and vice versa. While both are different ballgames, both are ballgames from the same factory.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

It's well known that the future of all games is MP, everyone who plays MP started out on SP anyhow.

Both SP and MP have a future. It's contra-productive for MP to bash SP and vice versa. While both are different ballgames, both are ballgames from the same factory
    Your right. But my poibnt is their two very different communities. Stop trying to package them together. There was a thread on this earlier about a dedicated mp game. OK let them release the game with both. But afterwards make 2 differnt patches. It cant be that hard.

That's advocated since 2001.
    Well as you know Tosa im a noob here only started playing in 2002

I must have missed that one. So why hasnt it been done?

Your right. But my poibnt is their two very different communities. Stop trying to package them together. There was a thread on this earlier about a dedicated mp game. OK let them release the game with both. But afterwards make 2 differnt patches. It cant be that hard.
    There are differences indeed.

Well as you know Tosa im a noob here only started playing in 2002
    I'm sorry.

I must have missed that one. So why hasnt it been done?
    It wasn't a public discussion. I don't know, unclear benefit? It's a pity.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus`
    It's well known that the future of all games is MP, everyone who plays MP started out on SP anyhow.
    The future marketing may say that SP is the future, because those overly powerful processors have to be sold. CPU's that are no longer required for the human to show his tricks online, but for the AI to unleash everything even Mars can't counter.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

CPU's that are no longer required for the human to show his tricks online, but for the AI to unleash everything even Mars can't counter.
    Ah but you cant taunt computers or rub it in. Nor brag to them of beating them . Much more satisfaction in beating a fellow human being. Or is that just me?

To be honest I ask my self why dont the community some how make there own patch.

Lets be honest how much effort does it take to cater to our needs? Not alot. CA have talked about trying to make the game more MP freindly and time and time again have told lies and broken promises. I like many have no faith in CA any more. I really did like total war and its community but when people ask the soul reason I gave it up was this soul factor, I got fed up waiting for a game that could of so easily been catterd for us, at the end of the day the fact is no one could be bother and no oen cares. Just take a look at the .coms MP section.

Sad isnt it?

my opinon.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Aye, the activiness on .coms MP section shows how much people can be bothered with MP.
    Now there are 2 kinds of players. The die-hards and the casual players.
    Since we now have something as a mod switch you can easely balance units for yourselves and you can easely make maps, while still being able to play against other players. Look at how the Lordz have reskinned the menus of the game for their NTW2, why can't that be done for the lobby? You can easely have a modswitch so you will still be able to play the noobs (as some of you will put it) while you can also play eachother in a balanced game.

CA won't change this game anymore, it's finished, with a bit of luck they will do something in Kingdoms. Best you can do is hope for the new game.

To be honest I ask my self why dont the community some how make there own patch.
    Exactly. Ive said the same. Look at eh Mizus and the Celtis with their mods. Can a patch be so hard to make? Maybe we should seek the help of the Lordz?

There is another patch coming for M2TW, so working on a mod for MP is wasted effort right now. Once the final patch is released, a mod could be done, but even if it's good most players won't use a mod in MP. The vanilla MP game has to achieve a high enough quality for a community to form around it.

The separate unit stat for MP idea was partially implemented in MTW/VI, but it wasn't utilized in the vanilla game. Creative Assembly is simply unwilling to put in the required effort to make a balanced game for MP. It takes a lot of man hours to balance this game because it's an iterative process, and it requires a lot of iterations.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Ah but you cant taunt computers or rub it in. Nor brag to them of beating them . Much more satisfaction in beating a fellow human being. Or is that just me?
    Of course you can taunt computers, there's even a physical factor. Overdo it and Skynet will strike back.

But seriously, it's not about what's important for you, me or him, duke it out and then just stick to one way (you are saying the same by asking for 2 exes, that would for once eliminate the need to make SP<->MP concessions/sacrifices). Some people fancy SP, others MP and some like both. I don't think that (many) dedicated SP gamers would actively work on improving MP, but taunting that part of the game is not going to improve MP either (that refers to bold statements like 'MP is the future' and 'SP is a dumbed down game against a chip').
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Future is on MP not on SP. It is up to them if they want this to realize or not.
    With this sentence as harsh as it might be I did not want to claim that making SP game is a waste of time. What I wanted to stress is that focusing on MP would not be a bad thing to do. After all how much has MP feature progressed since STW? Do we have excellent and profound campaign available to be played on MP? Do we even have a campaign to be played on MP?

Best you can do is hope for the new game.
    My point exactly. We can ''hope''. Hoping for 4 more Years that things will change?

Since we now have something as a mod switch you can easely balance units for yourselves and you can easely make maps, while still being able to play against other players. Look at how the Lordz have reskinned the menus of the game for their NTW2, why can't that be done for the lobby? You can easely have a modswitch so you will still be able to play the noobs (as some of you will put it) while you can also play eachother in a balanced game.
    There is not many who can do that. There is not many who have time for this. A patch like NTW 2 takes a lot of time to be made. There is not many who will continue doing this --> Lordz moved to different game engine. You can read why they have decided for doing this.

No need to put multiplayer focused individuals into the peril again. Die-hards or the casual players. They both enjoy good MP.

I've always tried to find out good point and not just pointing out what should have been done. MTW 2 with 1.2 patch is not that bad. Actually is quit good but there are those thiny little things which makes something good. There is lag which should be solved, there is instability during the game which should be solved, there are minor balanced issues which should be solved..looking forward that all this will come with Kingdoms and a lot more like MP campaign and as you mentioned an option from the side of CA that moding TW engine would become a lot more easier as it was in the past.

They did good job with MTW 2 and 1.2 patch now we can move forward and Kingdoms will be decisive.

@ the .com

I am now banned from the .com because I implied that because a certain member (no names mentioned here, because I know he is registered here) said that the admins should have absolute and uquestionable power his views could be considered, by definition fascist or authoritarian. In fact, by banning me because I implied this is, simply proves my point even more. Its a real shame that the .com and CA have such fragile psyches.

-We do the impossible every day, miracles take a bit longer- Air Force Motto

No need to repeat here what you said to me on .com

Why not? I think I am free to post my opinion here, as the .org does not have your beloved autocratic like system here. I was not insulting anyone, I was simply making a statement.

-We do the impossible every day, miracles take a bit longer- Air Force Motto

Just light the fuse... Member guyfawkes5's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goalie
    ... the .org does not have your beloved autocratic like system here.
    Heh.

i tried to warn goalie. i suppose he found out the hard way.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Let's get back on topic please. No need to bring a dispute from another forum here.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

It seems many people think that a MTW2 MP mod is a good idea. Well then go make a MTW mod for RTW. It lags less at least. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Kyolic
    It seems many people think that a MTW2 MP mod is a good idea. Well then go make a MTW mod for RTW. It lags less at least. ;)
    Ever heard of the Chivalry TW mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    I was a beta tester. :)

It is much better than MTW2.

Adherbal was making that mod (he founded it) and I was part of the people who tested any played that mod. Later he joined to Lordz team and they released excellent NTW 2 mod one year ago. Yet it takes time before mod is completed.

Where is Chivalry mod now? Let me guess. Probably it is quit popular among SP players. Ok nothing wrong with this if this is the case and how many MP ''representatives'' are playing it? I'm wondering what might be the case for this. Maybe because mod was finished when MTW 2 was released?

I would prefer to see more defined facts in next expansion that MP will be changed to the better. Some of this facts can be spotted in MTW 2 v1.2 when compared to RTW/BI. Let's see what Kingdoms will have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonar
    I'm wondering what might be the case for this. Maybe because mod was finished when MTW 2 was released?
    There are many reasons for this.

One of the problems with mods, especially for MP, is that it takes very long to make. Again many reasons for that. When it's finished it has to get accepted, another multiple reason for failure. Not impossible though.

It's hard for gamers to create a MP mod and get it accepted/used. It's also hard for CA to ship a MP game that's tweaked perfectly. You either have to work together with the MP scene during development (let them peek in your kitchen, have a sufficient large group to cover all, make MP a standalone exe to minimise sacrifices/consessions with SP and even then) or you have to make a layer between the rigid vanilla game and a mod.

That is sliders, toggles and a full configuration that allows to tweak the whole feeling. There's a lot more between morale on and off.

It partly runs into the same problem: a community or part thereoff has to reach some sort of consensus about when the game plays right. If there's a will to do that, it can at least be achieved within a few hours or weeks, rather than years. It can be done step by step too as you simply have to push a slider a notch more or less (yeah, it plays better now) rather than having to tweak a mod and all hassle surrounding that ('no I don't have the latest version' or installation went wrong, to list just a few).

You can even get CA/site/(part) of community rubber stamped, CRC'ed profiles to have 'official' tournaments.

It's important to have all aspects of the game available for tweak and mod. And not have some hardcoded modifier that cripples gameplay (if the flankbonus was just 1 point more, then it would rock).

It should also be easier to synchronise the MP players in case a mod is required. There are many 'competing' MP games that have an optional autodownload for a mod. If it's possible to install a 10 mb RO (UT derivative) map on the fly, can't a 300 kb textfile to describe the TW game being transferred?
    Of course you need CRC and other safety measures.

Making the game more flexible like this, also means that CA only has to fix bugs. Instead of having an upset community because one or more values are 1 degree off (no I'm not ridiculing it) which proves to be an almost never ending story, because gameplay issues do not always pop-up at once.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast