Thread: Reinforcements

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reinforcements

I know there's been a bit of discussion about this, in terms of 1.3 wishlist, but how do people handle reinforcement stacks in the meantime?

Here's what happpened to me: I was assaulting a citadel (?- the one with three rings of defense), with two stacks. I kept both under my control, which meant that I could only control the reinforcements once a slot freed up from a unit in my primary army. Not ideal, but at least I'm in control. I was having a jolly time, blowing holes in walls, proceeding methodically. Lots of fun b'c it was my first assault on such a high level castle. So much fun, in fact, that as I was about to deliver the final battle,- ding- 'you lose, time expired'! --- I'd forgotten to watch the battle clock. Drat!

So next turn, I assault again, thinking I'll be mindful of the clock this time (I've never lost a battle b'c of time before), and besides, the AI probably won't have repaired all those holes in the walls. Somehow, however, I must've accidently tagged the box giving AI auto control over my reinforcement stack. So what do they do? Charge straight into the inner keep (interesting aside- the computer HAD repaired all the GATES that I destroyed, but not the holes in walls- what sense does THAT make???) and place my cavalry at the mercy of lots of spears in a tight space. So I try to rescue them, and race my swords in, but they're obviously slower than cavalry. Long story short, I suffered a lot more casualties than I would've if I'd been in full control.

Point 1- Not being able to control your own reinforcements sucks; and
    Point 2- Does anyone use AI control, on the premise that "more troops now" outweights "more control and fewer troops now"?

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: Reinforcements

I always do manual control as otherwise you are wasting needless troops.
    Quite useful for missile heavy armies as you can deplete the ammo and retreat to get the next unit in or if its a low exp unit just charge it in for a suicide so you get your reinforcement faster.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Most times I only use manual control but if it is a major battle and the army that the ai will control is not very experienced, I will take as many men to the battle as I can and hope to overwhelm the enemy with numbers.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

For me, it usually depends on where those reinforcements are coming, and what they are made up of. If it's a cav stack coming in behind the enemy, for example, I happily give the AI control.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

It depends on the battle, I don´t trust the AI in sieges, but in field battles I love the sight of a second stack coming down the hill in the back of the enemy.

Senior Member Senior Member Jambo's Avatar

Yeah, the AI charging its general through breaches is a bit of an AI problem in 1.2. In 1.1. the AI cav seemed to wait outside for a period of time while their infantry engaged. Now it seems they all charge as soon as there's a breach or two.
    =MizuDoc Otomo=

i dont have the confidene to give a the ai a good star general. isnt the AI supposed to be better if it is under the coommand of a more competent general? has anyone experienced this?
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

I almost always take control of the reinforcement, even though I can't have them all imidietly ready to join the battle.

But I few days ago, the Danish army besieged Antwerpen (only 5 spear militia and a few archers in the garrison), and I had a full stack army with 5 stars general right outside the city walls. I decided to let the AI control the reinforcements and almost regret it!

While my garrison troops were bleeding on the walls, my damn general was taking the sloooow stroll towards the city!

I'm not even sure how I won . My forces on the ground were almost destroyed, only two units remained fighting on the walls. One enemy unit started to run towards my undefended central plaza, and I thought that's it, I lost...

Then their leader was killed and they all retreated. I was miraculously saved, but not thanks to the reinforcement. At that time, they didn't even reached the city walls.

I don't think I'll ever let the AI control my reinforcement...

I learnt very early on not to let the AI control my reinforcements.

Whilst it might seem sensible to get them on the battlefield asap. I find that their value once they are on the battlefield is minimal unless you can control them.

The same goes for Allies, If I am fighting with a Ally I keep well out of their way and let them do their thing before I let my troops anywhere near them.
    Last edited by Didz; 05-16-2007 at 19:46.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

That's exactly the way I do it...

Always control the reinforcements which are, in most cases, my main fighting force (otherwise why should I need reinforcements ?...)

Moreover, it helps implement whatever I've decided as an AI-controlled force may or may not do what you wish it to do...

If I fight a battle, I want to fight it all... Otherwise I would autoresolve (which I never do... or almost never... )

It was already so in RTW and I think in the previous titles but it's too far since I've played them to remember...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

I almost never have reinforcements, but when I do naturally I control them myself.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak