Thread: Answer thee, these questions 3

Default Answer thee, these questions 3

1st, How exactly does the "cultural penalty" with conquered cities enact itself. I took Corinth with the Scyths and their Awesome temple of whoever provided a 25% law/order bonus. Do I get that too if I leave it alone or should I destroy it and raise a shrine to Papuay?
    2) When you take a city and there are leftover soldiers from the defending army, do they assimilate into the town's population?
    3) When yo defeat a rebel army and there's men left over they just collapse, what happens to these men? Do they assimilate into the nearest city?

Thanks,
    IceWolf
    "They shall know the power of thy sword" ManoWar

Post Re: Answer thee, these questions 3

Hi IceWolf,
    Quote Originally Posted by IceWolf
    1st, How exactly does the "cultural penalty" with conquered cities enact itself. I took Corinth with the Scyths and their Awesome temple of whoever provided a 25% law/order bonus. Do I get that too if I leave it alone or should I destroy it and raise a shrine to Papuay?
    I believe that it's -5% for every building that is not of your culture other than the government building (which is -25% according to some). This means, that in theory, unless you can build a building as good as that or better as a temple, then you might as well leave it alone, or at least until Unrest is down and the settlement is upgraded to the next higher level.
    2) When you take a city and there are leftover soldiers from the defending army, do they assimilate into the town's population?
    I'm not too sure, but I think the answer may be yes, but, with the R:TW systems it's quite hard to tell.
    3) When yo defeat a rebel army and there's men left over they just collapse, what happens to these men? Do they assimilate into the nearest city?
    Yes, I think they may do, yet again, it's hard to be sure due to the way the system works.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, hope this helps, cheers!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Default Re: Answer thee, these questions 3

1) If there is only one building and its foriegn then the penalty is 50%. Build something yourself and the proportion of buildings that are foreign has now reduced. The penalty will reduce....significantly. Its not numbers of buildings that are foriegn..its proportion of buildings. Governors building has a bigger impact than any other.
    Demolishing a high level religious building is just one building. No special effect on cultural penalty. But it will impact public order because they often provide many % of order. So they are never worth demolishing just for the cultural benefit. You are better off upgrading something else which both gets rid of a foerign building and adds one of your own.

2) Dont think so

3) Dont think so
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

Default Re: Answer thee, these questions 3

Quote Originally Posted by Severous
    1) If there is only one building and its foriegn then the penalty is 50%. Build something yourself and the proportion of buildings that are foreign has now reduced. The penalty will reduce....significantly. Its not numbers of buildings that are foriegn..its proportion of buildings. Governors building has a bigger impact than any other.
    Demolishing a high level religious building is just one building. No special effect on cultural penalty. But it will impact public order because they often provide many % of order. So they are never worth demolishing just for the cultural benefit. You are better off upgrading something else which both gets rid of a foerign building and adds one of your own.

Excellent points there Severous. I am against destroying a building just to destroy it as well, but here is one exception.

Say you take a huge city with the highest government building. then, inside you also find maximum upgrades of every other building, examples, Siege engineer, Pantheon, foundry, Dockyard. Get the picture? You cannot upgrade to one of your own buildings, and you probably have maximum culture penalty.

This may work, and sometimes, those people will continue to riot no matter what you do.

Lets just say you are the Romans for now.

Destroy the temple of whatever. That will make them madder than anything, but it will give you opportunity to build your own temples. Build at least up to "large temple" of whatever.

Destroy the siege engineer, and build a practice range. Then, build an archery range. Now, you have archers, and the building has some usefullness.

Destroy the foreign high upgrade stables. Build your own stables, and now you have ability to train Roman Cavalry. Folks, I've gotten a lot accomplished with Roman Cavalry. I really don't care if I am able to get legionary or pratorian cavalry or not. Try it. At worse, maybe some of you won't thing that Roman stuff is "too strong."

Destroy the foreign foundry. Build a blacksmith, then an armorer. The foundry can come later, but you still have armor.

Just use the same pattern, and in time the culture penalty will reduce. You may have a revolt every 20 turns or so, but you would have had them anyway. In some places, you would have revolts even more often!

Keep in mind that by taking over a faraway city, you are imposing a whole new culture on somebody, and they will likely resent it.

By gradually "romanizing", or "greekifying" or otherwise changing the local culture, you can reduce the culture penalty, but it takes many turns. I would not recommend destroying everything in the city unless your intention was to simply sack the city anyway.

There apparently isn't a thing you can do about the government building, farms, walls, or roads. Well, yeah there is, but it isn't a pleasant proposition.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion