Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Faction thread 4: Dwarves

Default Re: Faction thread 4: Dwarves

ask somone else to make the website
    For Middenheim & The Empire!

I can make websites, so I could set up a website. Forums are more difficult though (it may be better to use this forum or TWC's).
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Development is amazingly fast Bwian. I can't but applaud.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

yup...and 2 more units added this weekend. would have been more, but for the M2TW engine refusing all attempts at me using proper alpha textures and deciding on an 'on/off' approach to this....which made making host units that look good impossible

Also, work on chariots continues, and I have also been working on making the tomb swarms work better so I can re-use the skeleton I am building for rat swarms and bat swarms too.

Final ongoing project is to make the Bone Giant affect troops around it like an elephant. Did something similar for RTW, by replacing a set of elephant anims with a carefully selected set of human ones. Will try and do the same again.

Meanwhile....I am open to suggestions as to how I can do a Spirit Host. Nearly time for another progress summary thread I think...especially since the forum is heading for it's 2000th post!
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Yeah son! congrats!!
    keep it up on the chariots.

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian

Meanwhile....I am open to suggestions as to how I can do a Spirit Host. Nearly time for another progress summary thread I think...especially since the forum is heading for it's 2000th post!
    How about taking a knight, (or any other unit) and making them paler and transparent/translucent? Or are all skins, all or nothing?
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

i think the problem he is having is that it can either be transparent or solid not a % like slightly seethrough
    For Middenheim & The Empire!

So.. wich unit do you intend to be the generals bodyguard?

Hammerers I believe, since this is their actual function.
    Mod leader of Warhammer; Total War

I tried making a semi-translucent unit, but I didn't have much luck either. The closest I got was using a sort of "tile" pattern in the alpha channel. Parts like the head and torso were covered in large white blocks and small black ones, and the reverse for limbs. It looks pretty lame, and doesn't seem to work in any range further than close up, but it was something.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Right, so I've been lurking for a little while now, watching this brilliant mod. I'm generally awe-struck by how awesome a lot of your stuff looks (Tomb Kings, Greenskins, Empire). However, I do have a few commentaries on the look of your Dwarfs. (By the way, you've spelled it wrong :P )

Now, before I tell you this, I just want you to know that I hate telling people to correct something that I can't do better myself. Also, the screens on which I base some of this are likely out-dated.

The weapons seem to be too large, pretty much all of them. Especially in relation to the handles, looks like you're putting anvils on twigs. (This has probably already been brought to your attention). The main concern was with the Longbeards (I think?) and the Ironbreakers I saw. I caught a glimpse of some mining picks that looked weird though, the actual pick looked too long, too thin and too round.
    The beards could use a little better texturing, but no big concern. Compared to vanilla MTW, they're very much the same.
    Perhaps a few little extra 'thingies' on the models could be nice, like tankards, pouches, w/e.

Oh, and a final idea regarding Dwarfs: If it is possible without looking dumb, could you strap shields on their backs? First of all, it looks nice. Secondly, it is a part of the Hammerer look.

With that said, if you are interested in the services of a newbie modeller (still have a -lot- t learn), I would be pleased to help you with the simple stuff, ie. inanimate stuff, weapons and the like, simple changes in models, so you talented guys can work on the harder things.
    As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one. - Godwin's Law

I agree Severe. A good reference for Dwarfs is the concept art for Warhammer online by Mythic.

I hope it's not too late for suggestions.

I strongly suggest the hammerers should be the bodyguard unit, not a unit on their own. In the fluff that is exactly what they are, and they gain moral bonuses when the Dwarf lord is with the unit.

Perhaps that's what you meant Bwain with the list you posted, if so, 2 handed axes could be the weapon employed by "heavy infantry" The list has the option for basic warriors to use one-handed weapon (axe, or maybe mace) and sheild, or 2 handed weapons (read: 2 handed axes)

I will second the suggestion that longbeards should improve morale, to reflect their "old grumblers" ability. And I'll agree that rangers should be cut. If you decide to cut anything from that list it should be miners. They will be redundant on the battlefield with whatever unit uses 2handed weapons.

I also had a suggestion for the dwarven economy and settlement setup. If you keep the city/castle distinction, dwarves should have all castles. This would reflect several things: 1st, Dwarves would have great siege defense. Their settlements should be rock hard. 2nd, they would have slow population growth. 3rd, they would have a weak economy, compared to factions with cities, so the dwarven player would be strapped for cash. This would bring home to the player the dwarven obsession with gold.

If the dwarves capture a city, they could get alot of money, and support much larger armies, but their city tech tree should be stunted, so the cities aren't self supporting.

The teutonic order in kingdoms has that. Can only get minor cities or lower and their castles were pretty awesome. But not so sure on having really low economy. The dwarfs are one of the richest civs in warhammer with the massive demand for dwarf made goods and all the mines. However they have a great reluctance to spend it on anything other than the nessecites. Maybe you could put in a market or trade route in castles but im not sure if that is possible. Possibly increasing the amount of gems/gold/iron/coal and the kings purse.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

About the "Dwarves should get mining bonuses" simply make it that whenever a dwarf character is created, he simply gets a Mining Bonus trait. Simple really...
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Awesome Cold One Knight Member Goncalou's Avatar

Raz excellent idea, but you also need to make all dwarves have a trait that something like 'Enjoys a Drink, +1 popularity' you know kinda like the one in M2TW
    It's a fool's race to be run, if all is lost if it be won.

Default Faction thread 4 Dwarves

Or, the "when will I be online in WAR" thread.

Running around on your own in The Old World can be a bit dull, so lets meet up

Ill start:
    This evening Ill prepare Eava for ZulAman. After that Id like some beta testing and do a public quest or some-such. Whos up for that?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123