Thread: the get screwed formula

Default the get screwed formula

Hello all, i just want to see if I am crazy or not...

I LOVED, LOVED RTW, but after the 3rd patch and the creative buyout I noticed that the game was redically different. Speciffically it seemed like at ceratin points the game would go instantly down hill. You know cities would riot for no reason, you would all of a sudden start loosing money, your best generals would die by an act of god, the smalest insignifigant army wantd 200000 denari to be bribed... etc.

I just started playing MTW2 and omg... The get screwed forumla in this game is so out of control, I don't even want to play the game. Out of nowhere I have heretics, inquisitors, fleets that magically appear to block my ports, all my cities riot.. etc it's is ridiculous.

The game cheats so much, there is almost no reason not to cheat myself, or even no reason to play cause all the fun gets emoved. It's like they decided to make the game annoying rather than challenging.

This is on the easiest mode btw.

Is there anyway to get around this nonsense?

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Default Re: the get screwed formula

Hi and Welcome !

Yes, you have to install a plethora of mods if you don't enjoy vanilla (like I don't) check the D/L section (<-link) and try the files section at TWC. (<-link) You may have to try mixing and matching a few mods. Good news is that it's not that hard. Once you've got it as you like it, it's better than RTW (IMO). Good luck !
    Last edited by Shahed; 05-18-2007 at 03:50.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

yes, unfortunately the game relies heavily on annoyances rather than difficuly to play which I presume is to compensate for the inadequacies of the AI. I particularly get annoyed with what I imagine is a deliberate delay for cav to react when issuing orders and their tendencies to split apart and become magnetically attracted to any nearby inf.

There is no way around this unfortunately. Do you have 1.2 patch? This fixes a quite a few bugs including nerfing inquisators. Again, unfortunately not many of the annoyances.

Oh dear, so many unfortnates!

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

From your post, it seems that the games seemed alot harder to you and you lost a campaign or two. First, remember to have up to 1.2 patch and remember, the two games are different and that there are different game mechanics to each
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

I guess not everyone can have fun with M2TW. In my experience I have had alot of fun and has been great to play all the way through, even with some of the bugs that were in 1.0.
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

When I said mods I also meant ALL those that are in your sig. So I should say mods + fixes, to be precise.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanMe
    Hello all, i just want to see if I am crazy or not...

I LOVED, LOVED RTW, but after the 3rd patch and the creative buyout I noticed that the game was redically different. Speciffically it seemed like at ceratin points the game would go instantly down hill. You know cities would riot for no reason, you would all of a sudden start loosing money, your best generals would die by an act of god, the smalest insignifigant army wantd 200000 denari to be bribed... etc.

I just started playing MTW2 and omg... The get screwed forumla in this game is so out of control, I don't even want to play the game. Out of nowhere I have heretics, inquisitors, fleets that magically appear to block my ports, all my cities riot.. etc it's is ridiculous.

The game cheats so much, there is almost no reason not to cheat myself, or even no reason to play cause all the fun gets emoved. It's like they decided to make the game annoying rather than challenging.

This is on the easiest mode btw.

Is there anyway to get around this nonsense?
    Hi there , I'm sorry you're experiences isn't like mine. I'm having the best fun of any of the totalwar series, and this is because there are many balanced strategy decisions to be made, to me any way that is the essence of a good strategy game.

Sure it isn't perfect , but then how could it be?. As long as CA/Sega continue to improve the games I'll be happy.

On a specific note human economic management is way ahead of the ai, inquisitors, assassins/ spies/ all have strategic counters. The only point I'd agree is the bribing bit (though I haven't extensively tested the new patch here with a high level diplomat).

On to the game cheating , well the ai sure needs it to compete though any advantage here is probably unintentional in the vanilla game. many mods are now incorporating specific extra help for the ai to make it more competitive with a competent human player.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

Thought I might add that I doubt loosing a campaign is likely in M2TW especially for someone who has played RTW. I'm 100 turns into a HRE campaign and these are the annoyances I've seen so far.

Keep getting the blockade Caen port mission even though I fail everytime. Since the English have a huge fleet of at least 4 nearly full stacks patrolling the area I don't even try. 4 out of the 5 missions were in a row. How annoying not to get another type of mission!

100 turns into the campaign and no crusade! 4 or was it 5 times in a row the pope dies and crusade cancelled all within 3 turns of a crusade being called. How bloody annoying. Will I ever see the Holy city FFS.

recruited 40+ merchants and none have survived more than 4 turns in the wild. Ok, I did try to transport 6 across to Africa from Ajaccio but my 6 stack cog got surrounded by enemy ships which weren't even allied and sunk in one hit (remeber this happening in RTW). Cheating, damn I wish I had naval engagements going in my favour like that. How annoying.

Am I the only one getting this type of nonsense. Not even considering diplomacy or AI.

Other than traits all this is mostly hardcoded and can't be modded AFAIK
    Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 05-18-2007 at 04:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
    Thought I might add that I doubt loosing a campaign is likely in M2TW especially for someone who has played RTW. I'm 100 turns into a HRE campaign and these are the annoyances I've seen so far.

Keep getting the blockade Caen port mission even though I fail everytime. Since the English have a huge fleet of at least 4 nearly full stacks patrolling the area I don't even try. 4 out of the 5 missions were in a row. How annoying not to get another type of mission!

100 turns into the campaign and no crusade! 4 or was it 5 times in a row the pope dies and crusade cancelled all within 3 turns of a crusade being called. How bloody annoying. Will I ever see the Holy city FFS.

recruited 40+ merchants and none have survived more than 4 turns in the wild. Ok, I did try to transport 6 across to Africa from Ajaccio but my 6 stack cog got surrounded by enemy ships which weren't even allied and sunk in one hit (remeber this happening in RTW). Cheating, damn I wish I had naval engagements going in my favour like that. How annoying.

Am I the only one getting this type of nonsense. Not even considering diplomacy or AI.

wow I never knew you had such problems! I'm amazed the english can support such a large navy, I haven't played 1.2 patched yet but not played a game like that yet! my comiserations :)
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

In my game as the danes

the scottish turn up and seige oslow (norway) ever 3 turns, then ask for a cease fire - rinse repeat

the english turn up every 3 turns and seige Hamburg, then ask for cease fire - rinse repeat

without fail this will happen every three turns, again and again and again

VH-VH 1.2 vanilla

the first 50 times its was mildly amusing, now I just wait there for them (*bored*) - last battle the english turned up with a stack of family members, including their king and seige equiptment (cataplts etc) only - needless to say I wiped out the english blood line for the next 1000 years, the scotts turned up and sacrificed their king too

I think by very hard what they meant is very hard to stop the AI losing

a strategy of attacking the human player no matter what - is not a good strategy - the AI of this game fails at playing 'the game' how is that even possible
    Last edited by Yun Dog; 05-18-2007 at 06:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

Quote Originally Posted by Durallan
    wow I never knew you had such problems! I'm amazed the english can support such a large navy, I haven't played 1.2 patched yet but not played a game like that yet! my comiserations :)
    Ohh no! You are going to tell me that your playing on med aren't you? b/c I just don't believe that I'm the only one getting this.

A bit exaggerated with the English navy, its a couple nearly three quarter full and a couple of halfs from what limited vision I can see. But the Danes have only 2 cities and a much bigger navy still. The benefits of playing VH

Quote Originally Posted by Yunus Dogus
    In my game as the danes

the scottish turn up and seige oslow (norway) ever 3 turns, then ask for a cease fire - rinse repeat

the english turn up every 3 turns and seige Hamburg, then ask for cease fire - rinse repeat

without fail this will happen every three turns, again and again and again

VH-VH 1.2 vanilla

the first 50 times its was mildly amusing, now I just wait there for them (*bored*) - last battle the english turned up with a stack of family members, including their king and seige equiptment (cataplts etc) only - needless to say I wiped out the english blood line for the next 1000 years, the scotts turned up and sacrificed their king too

I think by very hard what they meant is very hard to stop the AI losing

a strategy of attacking the human player no matter what - is not a good strategy - the AI of this game fails at playing 'the game' how is that even possible
    Yeah, I know. I also own Oslo and Scotts turn up every 2nd or 3rd turn for the compulsory seigefest.

I just took a screenie of them pushing a ram away from my city to god knows where. I think they wanted to leave the battle map with it or something.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I just took a screenie of them pushing a ram away from my city to god knows where. I think they wanted to leave the battle map with it or something.

That was a French group of soldiers who took two ladders down from the wall and started walking away with them. I've also had what you said happen to me except they marched to almost the edge of the map with a battering ram, then turned around and came back. It's sad but I couldn't stop laughing. Needless to say the siege AI doesn't seem to be too smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

ROFL ! That's hilarious !

Well I need to clarify something because my initial post might give the wrong impression.

I DO enjoy vanilla BUT I prefer a fixed game (2H working, VnV fixed, highways, Eastern Princesses, more and new SKINS, bigger map, more settlements etc etc). I prefer playing the game like that.

Actually check this, imagine you had a Monster Bombard at the town square (image from .com):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sadly the defender does'nt even have a pistol let alone a bombard.
    Last edited by Shahed; 05-18-2007 at 07:59.

LMAO

Im surprised though - I thought theyd have been english troops seiging that city - because theyd say 'call that a Queue, Ive seen bigger than that waiting for the urinal at the local pub' - those people are the queing masters

edit imagine if you were at the end... you'd be like 'It feels like were moving, maybe we should wait' and 'oh those bloody continentals are letting people jump in at the front'
    Last edited by Yun Dog; 05-18-2007 at 08:59.
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanMe
    If you think MTW2 is bad try playing 'Crown and Glory' its just a joke. You spend hours carefully nurturing your economy and raising your army and when at last you get the chance to use it the programmer jumps in with a bit of arbitary code that forces your army to rout without even being in contact with the enemy or your country to surrender before your army even gets into battle.

The other classic game gathering dust on my shelf is 'Uncommon Valour' where the player gets to spend hours doing menial tasks like loading cans of spam onto transports, but isn't allowed to command his own troops when the enemy appears.

A sort of 'slave to the AI' concept going on in both those games.
    Last edited by Didz; 05-18-2007 at 09:09.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis