Thread: Character Trait Goal A Pain

Default Character Trait Goal A Pain

Very entertaining mod BUT the character trait goal is for me a pain in the ass.
    If someone told me that i had to fight 1000 battles to get a specific trait i´d say ok let´s start but since i dont know how to get this or that trait it just makes it kind of an annoyance.
    I have had this general fighting i dont know how many battles and he doesnt get the popularis trait while another general gets it just be sitting in a settlement practically all his life.
    Others do a lot of things and they dont get appointed to be a consul and die (as a matter of fact, i havent seen the consul trait in anyone yet).
    I dont mind having to do difficult things in order to get a specific trait but at least i´ll know what needs to be done.
    Some would say that there is the 90 settlement goal but once u achieve that that your campaign is pretty much over and the beauty of the Romans is to see the cohorts.
    I just believe this charater trait should be changed that´s all
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

...George Patton

History repeats itself because CA wasnt listening the first time (or any other)

This place called 'rooms,' there's a whole chain of them.

Default Re: Character Trait Goal A Pain

I personally think the trait system is one of EB's coolest features. I don't usually have too much difficulty predicting how a character is going to develop by just looking at the Int/Cha/Vit and the Selfishness/Outlook/Loyalty traits, the tribe/culture/class traits also helps a good deal determining what traits the character may get. Occasionally though, I do get a guy that doesn't develop as I would expect him to, but I think that adds an element of realism. For example in my Epeiros campaign, traits seemed to skip a generation from Pyrrhos to the third generation, and Pyrrichos Akidias looked like he was gonna be a great general like his grandaddy. He started with Sharp/Charismatic/Languorous and Selfish/Optimistic/Disloyal. don't know if its his experiences or what, but he ended up as quite a unique individual, he did not develop well as general at all, and he was fairly awful as a governor. I kept battling him until he was grizzled, and he did gain a good deal of influence from becoming rich and famous through conquest, but he's extremely treacherous and full of himself, and has developed almost no battlefield bonus traits. Though plenty of traits that kill his influence and give me a cumulative tax penalty of -30% to an settlement he governs. I was surprised, but in a way he could have been predicted to have developed that way from the beginning. It could be said his selfishness prevented him from developing his abilities, but who knows. I've had other guys who have developed just fine, I find that if a character is not developing like I think he should, I switch his roles. Anyways, just my two cents.
    Colder than a gut-shot bitch wolf dog with nine suckin' pups pulling a #4 trap up a hill in the dead of winter in the middle of a snowstorm with a mouth full of porcupine quills.

My videos

Quote Originally Posted by stupac
    I personally think the trait system is one of EB's coolest features. I don't usually have too much difficulty predicting how a character is going to develop by just looking at the Int/Cha/Vit and the Selfishness/Outlook/Loyalty traits, the tribe/culture/class traits also helps a good deal determining what traits the character may get. Occasionally though, I do get a guy that doesn't develop as I would expect him to, but I think that adds an element of realism. For example in my Epeiros campaign, traits seemed to skip a generation from Pyrrhos to the third generation, and Pyrrichos Akidias looked like he was gonna be a great general like his grandaddy. He started with Sharp/Charismatic/Languorous and Selfish/Optimistic/Disloyal. don't know if its his experiences or what, but he ended up as quite a unique individual, he did not develop well as general at all, and he was fairly awful as a governor. I kept battling him until he was grizzled, and he did gain a good deal of influence from becoming rich and famous through conquest, but he's extremely treacherous and full of himself, and has developed almost no battlefield bonus traits. Though plenty of traits that kill his influence and give me a cumulative tax penalty of -30% to an settlement he governs. I was surprised, but in a way he could have been predicted to have developed that way from the beginning. It could be said his selfishness prevented him from developing his abilities, but who knows. I've had other guys who have developed just fine, I find that if a character is not developing like I think he should, I switch his roles. Anyways, just my two cents.
    u know tell me something like "u have to kill 10 5-star generals to get this trait " or " u have to take that specific region" or wipe out that specific faction and i´ll say ok i´ll get to it and I´ll start the machinery rolling cos it´s up to ME but when it´s up to FATE then it´s not really that fun for me really.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

...George Patton

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Well, that's like real life. We are all slaves of blind fortune.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Export_descr_character_traits will tell you exactly what you need to do to get any trait. The six primary traits are VERY important for many traits. A high level of intelligence and energy for instance will increase the chances of getting certain battle-related traits, and are even prerequisites for some. Some negative traits are impossible to get for loyal generals, etc.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    Well, that's like real life. We are all slaves of blind fortune.
    maybe your life is but not mine

...George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    Export_descr_character_traits will tell you exactly what you need to do to get any trait. The six primary traits are VERY important for many traits. A high level of intelligence and energy for instance will increase the chances of getting certain battle-related traits, and are even prerequisites for some. Some negative traits are impossible to get for loyal generals, etc.
    man i know that u know much about this computer things and when u open that u read something but when i do it i just say " what the hell is this".

...George Patton

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neoiq5719
    maybe your life is but not mine
    What, you know exactly what effect any given action will have on yourself? Lucky.

Consider that RTW does not allow representation of every single detail of the classical world and you have to fill in a lot yourself. Besides, people can't be moulded into a given shape, nor can the characters in EB. Go with the flow, make use of what you get and play them in character; sure the result won't always be exactly what you want, something unexpected may happen, but that's life.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    What, you know exactly what effect any given action will have on yourself? Lucky.

Consider that RTW does not allow representation of every single detail of the classical world and you have to fill in a lot yourself. Besides, people can't be moulded into a given shape, nor can the characters in EB. Go with the flow, make use of what you get and play them in character; sure the result won't always be exactly what you want, something unexpected may happen, but that's life.
    maybe that sentence came out wrong. what i say is that i dont sit on my butt waiting for things to happen, when i want something i go and get it that´s what i meant.
    What is funny or sucks (dont know how to label it )is that i´m about to finish the Roman campaign and havent seen the cohorts yet which really kinds of ticks off. And i know that when i get 90 settlements (i hope) that thing would unlock and then u can say that i could continue conquering but maybe it wont be the same that´s all.

...George Patton

man i know that u know much about this computer things and when u open that u read something but when i do it i just say " what the hell is this".
    That is probably your cue to close the file, forget about how you get the different traits and simply play the game watching what unfolds.

That, or you sit down and spend some time to learn the structure. Your choice . You might even enjoy tweaking stuff if you try.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I really, really like the EB trait system. One thing though: It's so hard to get the 'imperator' trait for your Roman generals, that it becomes quite ahistorical.

My Roman campaign is into 160 BC or so by now, but despite my best attempts, none of my generals made it past "conquorer of <INSERT UNLUCKY FOE>".

rgds/EoE

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

maybe that sentence came out wrong. what i say is that i dont sit on my butt waiting for things to happen, when i want something i go and get it that´s what i meant.
    What is funny or sucks (dont know how to label it )is that i´m about to finish the Roman campaign and havent seen the cohorts yet which really kinds of ticks off. And i know that when i get 90 settlements (i hope) that thing would unlock and then u can say that i could continue conquering but maybe it wont be the same that´s all.
    I'd say it came out very wrong. At the end of the dat no matter how hard you work at it life will always come back and punch you in the face, the same in EB.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Imperator is slightly bugged, not just hard.

-----
    Be kind, everyone...

In order to finish this topic I'll give an answer:

To get Popularis you need a guy that isn't Optimate, and there is a rare chance he will get Popularis. Also guys with lots of Influence and PoliticsSkill have a better chance. Also, worshippers of Ceres have a better chance of getting Popularis.

To get Consul, you need a guy with at least 5 Influence who has held the office of Praetor and isn't currently Aedile.

I'd say it came out very wrong. At the end of the dat no matter how hard you work at it life will always come back and punch you in the face, the same in EB.
    Dude when u finish kindergarden u´ll see that life is one thing and video games are another.

...George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Imperator is slightly bugged, not just hard.

-----
    Be kind, everyone...

In order to finish this topic I'll give an answer:

To get Popularis you need a guy that isn't Optimate, and there is a rare chance he will get Popularis. Also guys with lots of Influence and PoliticsSkill have a better chance. Also, worshippers of Ceres have a better chance of getting Popularis.

To get Consul, you need a guy with at least 5 Influence who has held the office of Praetor and isn't currently Aedile.
    Wait a sec cos i gotta break this down to get it.

To get Popularis you need a guy that isn't Optimate, and there is a rare chance he will get Popularis

SO if it is not optimate then it wont be popularis either cos there is a rare chance right? Kind of weird!!

Also guys with lots of Influence and PoliticsSkill have a better chance.

How do u get a guy with influence in Politics in the first place. Is it a trait u r born with?

Also, worshippers of Ceres have a better chance of getting Popularis.

AND how do u get this trait too, same as above?.

This is what i´m talking about, u probably have gotten into one of the files and know about this otherwise what do u do, just guess those stuff?
    Like i said kind of a pain.

...George Patton

EB2 Baseless Conjecturer Member blacksnail's Avatar

At the end of the dat no matter how hard you work at it life will always come back and punch you in the face, the same in EB.
    Although of course the sentence above should not be anywhere near our ad copy.

"I got punched in the face at Europa Barbarorum."

"I went to Europa Barbarorum and all I got was this lousy punch in the face."

"Europa Barbarorum: A Historically Accurate Punch to the Face."

PoliticsSkill, like many other traits are tied to hidden traits that are given to character at birth, but are hinted at in the Intelligence/Charisma/Energy trait.

Worshipper of Ceres is given when someone who hasn't chosen a single god to follow spends a lot of time in a town with a Temple to Ceres (it helps to build Temples to Ceres).

The majority of traits are awarded based on the guys base skills (I/C/E) and can't even be predicted. And all traits have a percentage of chance of happening, which is not alwayw 100. Chance, unpredictability, and unique character are part of what makes EB great.

You are a leader of a country in EB and you have a bunch of guys serving you. You don't have time to watch the whole life of each guy so you can't predict exactly what type of person each guy is, how he will react to things, or what kind of skills he will develop in the future. It has become somewhat of a cliche answer around here and no offense, but, 'If you don't like it, maybe EB isn't for you.'

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksnail
    "Europa Barbarorum: A Historically Accurate Punch to the Face."
    I love it!
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 05-18-2007 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    PoliticsSkill, like many other traits are tied to hidden traits that are given to character at birth, but are hinted at in the Intelligence/Charisma/Energy trait.

Worshipper of Ceres is given when someone who hasn't chosen a single god to follow spends a lot of time in a town with a Temple to Ceres (it helps to build Temples to Ceres).

The majority of traits are awarded based on the guys base skills (I/C/E) and can't even be predicted. And all traits have a percentage of chance of happening, which is not alwayw 100. Chance, unpredictability, and unique character are part of what makes EB great.

You are a leader of a country in EB and you have a bunch of guys serving you. You don't have time to watch the whole life of each guy so you can't predict exactly what type of person each guy is, how he will react to things, or what kind of skills he will develop in the future. It has become somewhat of a cliche answer around here and no offense, but, 'If you don't like it, maybe EB isn't for you.'

EDIT:
    I love it!
    If i didnt like i wouldnt be asking these questions right? so pls no offence either but stay focus and dont come up with childish comments. I just wanna find the sense of it cos i wanna know that 2+2 is 4 and not a random answer.

...George Patton

Well, the original question has been addressed.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 05-18-2007 at 22:34.

(Visible) traits are (generally) not given automatically after certain conditions are met. There is a probability of them happening after certain conditions are met. There is often an increased probability if certain other conditions are met.

Traits are not always easy to get, usually for a reason. EB is an interactive experience. Play chess if you want 2+2=4 gameplay. I enjoy both, so I play both (or would if my EB computer was working).
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 05-18-2007 at 22:39.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Dude when u finish kindergarden u´ll see that life is one thing and video games are another.
    Do that again and you will not post in this forum again either.