Thread: Underwhelming Ptolemaic Elite Units

Default Underwhelming Ptolemaic Elite Units

I've noticed in my recent Ptolemaioi campaign, that the Kleurochi (Sp?) Agema are quite...bad.

When you compare them to the Pezhetairoi, they have one less defense, 1300 more recruitment, and 300 more upkeep in exchange for a "Excellent Morale" Trait, as opposed to the Pez's "Good Morale". Is that really worth it? I would expect more from the "Elite Ptolemaic Phalanx". Even if, historically, the Pez' were about on the level with the Kleur, then why call either one of them "Elite".

This is further exacerbated by the fact Silvershields, who have comprable cost to the Kleurochi Agema and are the rival "Elite Phalanx" for the Diadochi, have advantages over Pezhetairoi in attack, defense, and morale. The Ptolemaic Royal Guard is also quesitonable, being an elite phalanx, except with shorter spears than the other phalanx's they'll likely face. What gives?
    Last edited by Ravenic; 05-18-2007 at 04:00.

Default Re: Underwhelming Ptolemaic Elite Units

There will most likely be stat changes to these units. In fact, the Chalkaspidai have better stats than the Argyraspidai even though historical they were not nearly as good as the latter. So there is still some adjustments to be made.

Default AW: Underwhelming Ptolemaic Elite Units

For me all Ptolemaioi units seem to be very expensive for their stats. Or at least nearly one, havent played with them.

EB Beta Tester & Sex Slave Member Brightblade's Avatar

Yeah, Basilikon Agema's shorter spears put them at a huge nerf versus other elite phalanxes. I'm sure changes will come once the team goes through the motions of including the more exciting features still to come, there's always time for tweaking the units (remember there are a lot of units and different faction combinations ((some factions can use phalanx armies or sword armies or both combined) so it's difficult to keep a certain balance of gameplay, coupled with the fact that the team strives for historical accuracy above all) some faction's Elite units will be better than other equivalent faction's Elites, sometimes by a lot, relying heavily on history as a benchmark

however you named some examples I think will be addressed in due time

best regards,

bb

We ask ourselves whether our names will echo through the ages... how bravely we fought, how fiercely we loved.

Currently: Slave in EB's beta testing dungeons!

BTW, didn't basilikon agema get reformed as legionary style unit just before the roman civil wars under ptolemy auletes?
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Underwhelming Ptolemaic Elite Units

Quote Originally Posted by LennStar
    For me all Ptolemaioi units seem to be very expensive for their stats. Or at least nearly one, havent played with them.
    Presumably this represents the rebellious nature of the local population, making them liable to take part in civil wars on the wrong side. The costs of repressing such problems would be represented by higher unit recruitment and upkeep costs.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

That's specifically cited as the reason for example Pantodapoi and Machimoi Phalangitai are more expensive that comparable levy pikes in Makedonia. And also why the Mada Asabara cost noticeably more than the essentially identical Aspet Hetselazor.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Klerouchikon Agema has clearly bugged stats though, they should be comparable to Agryaspidai, methinks. Anyway, the Royal Guard aren't meant to be used in the same manner as the pikemen, but rather, to hold the line at the flanks, as a reserve force, or to attack weak points at a non-phalanx section of an enemy line, since they excel in a phalanx as well as out of it.