Thread: Halberd Qs

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Default Halberd Qs

Can any factions get actual Halberdiers instead of just Halberd Malitia? and why do Halberd Malitia have a spearwall?
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Default Re: Halberd Qs

Nope. It's Halberd Militia only. Don't know the answer to the 2nd one.
    A Gamecenter with a dedicated Total War fanbase!
    Check out our Facebook!
    Email: shahed@outpost.be

Well, the French have some great polearms, but alas, no Halberdiers.

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

The danes get some well trained non militia halberdiers, forget the name atm. The french get a voulgier. Turks get one of the whickedest infantry units in the game, the janissary heavy infantry they are halberdiers. Not many others sadly, the danes get arguably the best halberdier unit that can mantian a spear wall formation though.

Second question is, the designers didn't put in a differently named formation for pikes ant halberds. But both are nearly identical formations. That and the fact that halberds do have a spear at the tip.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

The Danes have "obudshaer."
    I was greatly looking forward to these, finally a solid defensive line for the Danes, but boy, did they not deliver. They are slow. (unreasonably so) and due to the shieldfix/twohander imbalance, sadly lacking in staying power.
    I suppose Carl's fixer adress this. They look nice though.
    It's better to do and die, than die and don't

Tambarskjelve, I have not played with Carl's PureFixer 1.14 yet (actually not played much at all), but PureFixer 1.13 did fix this. I played a campaign with Denmark and held off the world for 300 turns (before quitting), holding ONLY Aarhus, Oslo, & Stockholm. The Obudshaer are excellent with the PureFixer 1.13. In fact the whole Dane roster is excellent but I can tell you in a fixed game Obudshaer deliver, big time.
    Last edited by Shahed; 05-18-2007 at 08:43.
    Check out our Facebook!

Hmm, guess I must get around to uninstalling the unoffical patch and installing 1.02 plus Purefixer 1.14. A quick question though, will this affect my current savegames? I.E, will my Obudshaer finally be up to the task?
    It's better to do and die, than die and don't

Confiscator of Swords Member dopp's Avatar

Lots of halberdiers in the game, but they are mostly hiding behind fancy names.

Don't forget Swiss Guard, the only halberd unit that doesn't need 'fixing' (and completely owns if you do).

Question 1.14 Savegame Compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambarskjelve
    Hmm, guess I must get around to uninstalling the unoffical patch and installing 1.02 plus Purefixer 1.14. A quick question though, will this affect my current savegames? I.E, will my Obudshaer finally be up to the task?
    You can install PureFixer 1.14 over 1.20 AFAIK, you don't need to reinstall. I have'nt done so yet as I just got time to install patch 1.20. I don't remember if it's save game compatible. I can't (unfortunately) install 1.14 yet as I have to finish a replay project first.

dopp, good point.
    Check out our Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    Can any factions get actual Halberdiers instead of just Halberd Malitia? and why do Halberd Malitia have a spearwall?
    There is no unit called halberdiers, all proffesional soldiers armed with a halberd is named something else, like JHI.

As for the spearwall, that is a feature of LONG halberds. Ie, so long that they can double as pikes.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Friendly Resident Knight Member Fußball's Avatar

Unfortunately that is something lacking in M2TW is the use of the halberd. You barely see it in game and the halberd militia are lack luster because of their stats. Although I did have some fun recently with halberd militia & crossbow militia against saracen/spear militia. Was fun to see halberdiers actually causing pain and suffering...when supported by crossbows.

All in all, game needs more halberds later on and they need more effectivity.

Tschüß!
    Erich

Things are getting better. Well, not as good as yesterday, but definitely better than tomorrow! ~Old Russian Joke