Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: U.S. Warriors — Overpaid?

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default Re: U.S. Warriors — Overpaid?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien
    I'd say to you its not difficult. you'd be suprised how easy it is to kill people and walk or drive around. once you get the hang of it, its almost second nature.
    I shall be as restrained as I can be in response to this, but I am seriously beginning to doubt your claimed credentials.

Apart from a very few disturbed individuals, I have not met a soldier who treats taking life with quite that cavalier an attitude.

Quite a lot of video game players, but very rarely a real soldier.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Hand Bacon Member ShadeHonestus's Avatar

What's the current ratio of support to infantry in the field? There are no pay grades, at least in the USMC that notes technical specifications outside promotions to warrant officer which are something altogether different. An E-3 rifleman earns the same as an E-3 technician (the MoS school which I attended took 11 months of training non stop), my cousin the navy spook earned the same at E-3 as a translator after being schooled in languages. While its true that the technical fields earn the reward of training, they transfer poorly tto college credits that you still have to pay for, which of course you can usue your GI Bill/MCCF towards. Despite proficiency the training alone is not a huge reward in civilian life without civilian instutional pedigrees to back them up. However, for like work in the civilian sector the pay is much higher.
    Last edited by ShadeHonestus; 05-20-2007 at 21:08.
    "There is a true glory and a true honor; the glory in duty done and the honor in the integrity of principle."

"The truth is this; the march of Providence so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often only see the ebb of the advancing wave. It is history which teaches us to hope."

@BG- maybe it was getting shot at and not shooting the shooter?

I doubt anyone would be scared to waste the enemy before he wastes you.

@Zak- so taking down enemy combatants are that easy? can you give me an example? (no opposition or citicism intended)

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    I shall be as restrained as I can be in response to this, but I am seriously beginning to doubt your claimed credentials.

Apart from a very few disturbed individuals, I have not met a soldier who treats taking life with quite that cavalier an attitude.

a cavalier attitude? my friend I abhor all taking of life. its the ease with which most of our soldiers do it that shocks me. I am only recently reformed from the mindless patriotism that plagues our military myself. I just came back from a second tour in Afghanistan in january of this year, and am slated for a deployment to Iraq in november of this year. i am simply stating that the mechanical action of killing "the enemy" is remarkably simple, be it with an M-4 or by making a decision at the battalion main and sending artillery in to destroy a group of people.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Hand Bacon Member ShadeHonestus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost

Took the words out of my mouth and in the USMC such a cavalier attitude about taking life and their service would have been investigated as defect of character. Force Recon wasn't didn't even embrace this attitude and they are some of the most Gung-Ho warriors you will find.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknaf
    a cavalier attitude? my friend I abhor all taking of life. its the ease with which most of our soldiers do it that shocks me. I am only recently reformed from the mindless patriotism that plagues our military myself. I just came back from a second tour in Afghanistan in january of this year, and am slated for a deployment to Iraq in november of this year. i am simply stating that the mechanical action of killing "the enemy" is remarkably simple, be it with an M-4 or by making a decision at the battalion main and sending artillery in to destroy a group of people.
    Then why didn't you state as such, it would have gone further to establishing your cred. You do understand that "mechanics" aside the "abhoring" of taking a life while mechanically being able to so do with simplicity is part of the cost and toll of service which one pays for a number of years. You no doubt know this so I don't see how you can argue being underpaid for the taking of human life while belonging to a belief structure that values life.
    Last edited by ShadeHonestus; 05-20-2007 at 21:17.
    "There is a true glory and a true honor; the glory in duty done and the honor in the integrity of principle."

"The truth is this; the march of Providence so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often only see the ebb of the advancing wave. It is history which teaches us to hope."

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Then you must have no experience with our soldiers these days, as this is the attitude of an overwhelming majority of lower enlisted soldiers aged 17--20 in every infantry battalion i have been a part of.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

OK, thank you for clarifying.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

The army raises their soldiers pay periodically anyway, I forgot to mention that.
    I support Israel

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I am only recently reformed from the mindless patriotism that plagues our military myself.
    Try not to let that be replaced by a mindless anti-patriotism. A reasoned and balanced appraisal of both sides of an issue will get you the closest to the truth.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123