Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Summer Campaign-Modern Bracket Rd.2

The Modern Bracket Generals
    Round 2

8 generals, 4 general picks
    Poll will be open for 7 days

Good Luck to you all.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Default Re: Summer Campaign-Modern Bracket Rd.2

How is Rommel beating Manstein?

At least the Germans are leading, as they should.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager

Probably because Rommel is seen as the better battlefield general by those that voted for Rommel.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

They don't make movies about Manstein.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Nice, those 4 I voted for are leading
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MilesGregarius
    They don't make movies about Manstein.
    Truth.

To a surprising extent, these polls reflect the "cult of personality" that has grown up around some of these blokes.

Not to say that it isn't one aspect of generaling -- it certainly paid off in huge dividends for Meg Alex -- but it can obscure other points of evaluation about abilities and accomplishments as a general.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

The thing with WWII leaders is that there are huge differences between leading at Army Group level and leading at Corps level and what is actually required from a successful commander. For example Manstein is one of those blokes who really wasn't anything special as a corps commander, but as an Army Group commander he was propably the best the Germans had. There are also generals who were excellent at division and corps level command, but once in charge of armies and army groups they were quite mediocre.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    Probably because Rommel is seen as the better battlefield general by those that voted for Rommel.
    Well ya, that much is obvious or they wouldnt have voted for him.

It is surprising because among most historians Manstein is considered the better commander, the best of the war actually.

Of course most people in the English speaking world aren't interested in the Eastern Front.

as usual the irony is that the losing general is hailed as being better.
    I support Israel

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo_H
    as usual the irony is that the losing general is hailed as being better.
    The loss isn't always necessarily the general's fault, Lorenzo.

Well ya, that much is obvious or they wouldnt have voted for him.

It is surprising because among most historians Manstein is considered the better commander, the best of the war actually.

Of course most people in the English speaking world aren't interested in the Eastern Front.
    That is so true!

In fact I asked a few people at the office on whether they knew anything about the Eastern front in WWII and the general kind of reply was either:

1) "Eastern front? Whats that?"
    2) "You mean USA fighting Japanese?"
    3) "You mean USA fighting Russians?" (no joke)
    4) "Well, the USA did most of the fighting with Germany anyway, so whats the big deal?"

Well, at least I had a good laugh at work

P.S.
    w00t a non-white guy made it, go China (prolly should've been Zhu De or Lin Biao instead but I guess I didn't put up the names in round 1, my bad).

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland
    That is so true!

In fact I asked a few people at the office on whether they knew anything about the Eastern front in WWII and the general kind of reply was either:

4) "Well, the USA did most of the fighting with Germany anyway, so whats the big deal?"

P.S.
    w00t a non-white guy made it, go China (prolly should've been Zhu De or Lin Biao instead but I guess I didn't put up the names in round 1, my bad).
    And who says the American education system's in decline?

But really, that's just pathetic. I mean seriously, people thought we were fighting Russia? Wow.

Hmm, maybe I'll try asking my classmates at school since I've still got a few days left. Kinda scared what I'll get for a response, though, after seeing this.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by greaterkhaan
    And who says the American education system's in decline?
    Decline implies that it once was better; sadly, it's been this bad for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland
    That is so true!

Who to blame? The education system? Hollywood? Both probably... Also, the fact that the USSR quickly became the enemy after the war most likely made their contribution to the effort an unpleasant reality.

It constantly amazes me when American and Commonwealth people act as if their campaigns and battles with Germany were the quintessential struggles in the conflict. North Africa, Italy, and even D-Day paled in comparison to operations conducted in the East. That is where the German military was defeated.

Rommel's North African campaign is especially over-hyped. The scale of the entire operation was quite small and the numerical superiority the allies wielded toward the end reduced the role military skill played in the outcome.

It seems to have worked for Rommel's legacy though. I fear Manstein and the others would do even worse if this poll wasn't taken at the .org.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Santayana tells us that those who do not study the past are condemned to repeat it.

Much of modern society couldn't care less -- as long as their plans for the weekend come off without any major hitch.

History is, for the majority, the "crap that happened before I came into existence and which is, therefore, only marginally relevant at best."

Against this backdrop I hope none of you are surprised that US citizens know little about Die Ostkrieg. They're even less aware that we sent soldiers into Russia to try to destroy the revolution at the end of War One. They only know that Banana Republic is a boutique -- not a metaphor for places we sent men to fight and die.

Rich in narcissistic ignorance, modern society races forward in the perpetual present, always seeking a better and more enjoyable tomorrow -- and perplexed that it doesn't seem to get much better.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken