Thread: Historic battle- Battle of Agincourt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Historic battle- Battle of Agincourt

Ok perhaps some of you uber experienced players already know how to win this battle, and maybe you even know where in this forum the strategy guides for the historic battles are. (where? Where???)

I've played the battle several times, and I would consider myself more than competent as a general. However, after I repel the first two waves and have only lost 15% of my forces to their 19% dead and more routing, the final wave hits and I am smashed from behind by heavy general cavalry. I even prepare for this by having my billmen guard my 6, and then tried billmen and heavy infantry, and then tried an archer sacrifice to slow them down so when they finally arrived they werent charging so they could be cut to pieces by my infantry. Many different battles, many different failed tactics.

The problem is, there is no significant height advantage, the french are too many, and being attacked on two sides by overwhelming amounts of troops when you are mostly archers is instant death.

Unless of course, you know what I am forgetting. What is the key to winning this battle?

I even read all about the actual battle in an encyclopedia to see how it was won historically. However, the situation is not accurately portrayed by the medieval 2 engine, so the same tactic doesn't work. (French do not get bottlenecked because of a lack of troop numbers and wide open space).

I won't consider myself a true general until I win this battle. However, a good leader knows when he is stumped and asks the experts. How do YOU win this battle?

Only respond if you HAVE won this battle. By the by, I only play on very hard. Easy mode is for mewling infants who can't wield a sword. Only VH victories count.

Please ignore the irony of my signature.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Default Re: Historic battle- Battle of Agincourt

Well I don't really remember how I won. It was quite simple I am sure. I just let the French come at me and my men continously beat them, I think I kept a unit of Knights with The King and Billmen for the Flanking Cavalry and threw the Right flank Yeomen at the cav once the charge was stopped.

I think your Infantry should be able to beat the French if you just hold your ground. (Don't let your infantry chase routers) and keep up Archer shot on the router I think because they will come back and while they run away they will be particularly vulnerable. If your infantry move forward your own arrows will kill you (and the arrows won't kill so many French!)

I even read all about the actual battle in an encyclopedia to see how it was won historically. However, the situation is not accurately portrayed by the medieval 2 engine, so the same tactic doesn't work. (French do not get bottlenecked because of a lack of troop numbers and wide open space).
    By Bottleneck it means they are 1 on 1 with the English I think? If so then thats how the battle is. If it had been open field the French line would be double the size of the English thus allowing French Infantry to wear the flanks of the English. In the battle in Medieval2 the forces are face to face, no flanks, forcing the French Infantry to come in waves, and be shot down and killed by archers. I think thats what it means by bottleneck in the encyclopedia and that is shown in Medieval 2.

The IGN reviewer beat the battle by grouping thier units and rushing the french waves, although that was in 1.0 I guess....

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I fought it in both 1.0 and 1.01. As a matter of fact, it was the first battle i fought, before even trying the tutorial after I got M2TW.

The basic principle is simple. Use your yeomans to always target his mounted knights. Those tend to do the most damage. Once the currently targeted knight is getting too close, retarget on the next distant knight. If no knights are in range, target the nearest heavy infantry. Ignore all enemy ranged units.

With your infantry, try to prevent the enemy infantry from reaching your yeomans. Use your general to fight freely as he can take quite a punch.

When you get hit in the back, make sure you have an expendable and depleted unit to hold the charge. Once the initial charge is over, attack in melee with your yeomans which are effective against armor.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Ok I just tried it out again with my tactic. The English Infantry is superior in both Morale (with The King nearby) and Fighting ability. The Yeomen Archers immediately hit the mounted French Knights which broke their charge which ended up killing only 3 of my dismounted Knights, who were now in Guard Mode.

As Soon as the French Infantry were in Range I told Yeomens on the flanks to concentrate on the end Units, which was destroyed and never made it to my line and forcing the French into a bottleneck against My line instead of even. I could have moved my archers round and hit the French in the back and routed them quicker, but I decided not to since realistically that would provoke the French second wave would hit me as soon as I done that, even if not in the game. So I stayed behind the pikes and killed enemy crossbowmen then started shooting the routers, who routed because when they hit my line they were so weak from Yeomens. By the way I had already set 2 Billmen and 1 dismounted Knight to the back centre of my line incase things turned sour at the front and to protect the back.

I sent the King in when French Morale decreased as a final push but they didn't rout, but they were weak and the second wave came. At this point I set the King back to his position, The Archers again weakened the second wave and my line took the mass French Infantry at their centre. The enemy cavalry flanked so I turned the 3 reserve units and Henry around to face 2 of them while the third attack my Yeomen on my left. The Yeomen held the Cav while Henry beat the other 2 with my Yeomen on the right coming to help him beat the French cav quickly. Then they went to help the yeomen on the left and push the centre line.

I think now a French General was dead, so less morale for the french infantry. I sent the rest of my free Yeomen to shoot htem with fire in the back then told them to face the Spearmen of the third French wave with the French Knights charges the Centre, my Yeomen slightly outfought the Spearmen and continued shooting the French in the back with Fire. Their Infantry General was killed and their morale was weak so I decided to take all my men out of guard mode and push the French, which worked and caused a rout and won the battle.
    Last edited by Marius Dynamite; 05-20-2007 at 22:09.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Cool Re: Historic battle- Battle of Agincourt

Thanks to those who responded. Before I came back to read your replies I finally smashed the french, although with fairly heavy losses, and routed all of their troops. The key this time was the use of my billmen, which are only mediocre melee troops, as a buffer between my king and the flanking cavalry, and a fair amount of luck. Each french commander died swiftly, which sped the routing process to a point where I took minimal casualties in the first couple waves.

The final wave was the most difficult... no tricks, no surprises, just my outnumbered king and his surviving knights and archers in a bloody battle to the death while being peppered by crossbow bolts from the cowardly french. I trained all my forces against their commander and made sure he was slain, costing many lives... but the french were finally broken, and with only about 20% of my forces left I charged the crossbows who ran like the dogs they are. They, having not had to fight in a real battle, were still fresh, and could outrun my brave and battle-weary forces for quite some time. With some clever maneuvering, I managed to entrap them and rout the stragglers.

After this inspiring victory, I then managed to rally my forces to victory in each subsequent historical battle, thereby ensuring my rightful place as leader of an army.

I must admit each battle was difficult, but they are winnable.

Congrats to all my fellow Generals who have survived these challenges. It is easy to amass a spam army in campaign mode and slaughter people by sheer numbers, it is quite another to actually have to use tactics and strategy.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger