Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Political Signatures

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Default Re: Signature

Hello,

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts about this. Conclusion seems to be that displaying an extra Backroom only signature is not wanted. If the opinion about this changes: open a topic in the Watchtower/Backroom please.

Backroom content can no longer be part of the signature, please update.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Excuse me Tosa, but I think the sigs are personal and everyone can do what he/she want with it (unless it brokes the .Org rules).

Sigs are personal.Or am I going to change yours because i dont like it?

Thats my point of view.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

What do you define as political? For example my two quotes could be defined as such.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Re: Political Signatures

Wow I never noticed your sig Seamus. Thick as a Brick? I love Tull. I remember Anderson passed around a tale that a 9 year old had written it or something like that.
    Last edited by Gawain of Orkeny; 05-25-2007 at 04:34.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I don't know if those are political or not.
    I say they aren't because it's a quote, a philosophical qip about life that can illuminate your day.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Gah! What is the big deal, or was. And what does it matter? This is beyond silly.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Simple really.

A lot of people don't want politic threads shoved down their throats while at the Org so we restrict it to the backroom. However some people would like to have political signatures, as such we are seeing if it is worthwhile having the means for people to have a political backroom sig and a more other user friendly sig for outside.

Likewise not all members what to see scantly clad nubile women posted throughout the forums. Hence the place of posting of such is the Babe Thread.

It simply allows members the choice to a) smoke be political and b) not have to breath smoke bother with politics.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I don't see why the options listed in the original post should be the only options.

What I have been doing is having political signatures but being extra vigilant to not use them on boards that are not the Backroom. I don't see why that method can't work for everybody. It's way better than censoring all signatures for no good reason, given that there are workarounds like this to completely bypass the problem listed in the original post. If a Backroom signature is posted in a board other than the Backroom, then warn for it and that's that, instead of changing to this new censorship policy.

Indeed a Backroom only signature would be good. Certainly a much better solution than censoring signature content in the Backroom as seems to be the "new rule".

Another thing that just occurred to me is that there are many political signatures still present that the owner may not perceive as being a political signature even though it is. This open's a pandora's box. This will fall to staff to try to determine what is political and what is not. Due to it not being an exact science and having to be based on personal opinion of the staff member at hand, this will inevitably result in some signatures being censored whereas some other political signatures that should also be censored get off scott-free. Which is totally inequitable.
    Last edited by Navaros; 05-25-2007 at 12:29.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Hm I don't know if the feature works yet. My signature here isn't the backroom signature but the normal one.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 05-25-2007 at 12:23.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Censorship, by any other words is still censorship.

The idea that a word or phrase may harm someone is misguided at best.

As presented it is a bogus proposition that asks that all accept a narrow -either or choice - and gives no reason. Except that within someone's "signiture" maybe something someone disagrees with and/ergo finds offensive.

It is censorship at a level I believed beneath the .orgs consideration.
    Wrong again, I suppose. Not surprising.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Isnt this all a bit of a fuss over nothing...so someone has a 'political' signature and they post in the arena or whatever...

What are we worried about here? That someone in the arena for example may see it and take offence? As long as it isnt a violation of the forum rules in general then I really wouldnt care if it offended someone or not.

People in the arena are supposedly reading the posts- not the signatures. Granted signatures are there to be read but you know what I mean...
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Hello Navaros,

Quote Originally Posted by Navaros
    I don't see why the options listed in the original post should be the only options.

What I have been doing is having political signatures but being extra vigilant to not use them on boards that are not the Backroom. I don't see why that method can't work for everybody. It's way better than censoring all signatures for no good reason, given that there are workarounds like this to completely bypass the problem listed in the original post. If a Backroom signature is posted in a board other than the Backroom, then warn for it and that's that, instead of changing to this new censorship policy.
    That would imply that we expect anyone to correctly set the toggle for each post. How easy is it to make an error there. True, I'm sadistic, but to warn good people for a mistake like that is too easy. A one time update of a Backroom sig would be more convenient.

Indeed a Backroom only signature would be good. Certainly a much better solution than censoring signature content in the Backroom as seems to be the "new rule".
    That was an option too, the majority said no to it. After stating again what would happen then, there still was no big counter response. The code bits are still there, it can be activated within a minute (see post 31, but you can of course change mind here and now).
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Hello lancelot,

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    Isnt this all a bit of a fuss over nothing...so someone has a 'political' signature and they post in the arena or whatever...

What are we worried about here? That someone in the arena for example may see it and take offence? As long as it isnt a violation of the forum rules in general then I really wouldnt care if it offended someone or not.
    Yes, that's the worry. It's not a hypothetical worry, it happens. A signature can be fine with the forumrules, but still itch.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    Hm I don't know if the feature works yet. My signature here isn't the backroom signature but the normal one.
    Hello LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix,

It's deactivated.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    Censorship, by any other words is still censorship.
    Hello KafirChobee,

This is a gamingboard, for some visitors that means an escape from reality (no, I'm not talking about myself and yes I've violated that myself too). To enforce political/misery/controversial content on those people is also censorship (someone else decides what you read).

The idea that a word or phrase may harm someone is misguided at best.
    I've to meet the first man/woman on this earth who is never offended by anything. All you need to know are the right spots and keep pouncing.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Phew.. I was worried about my loverly sig. This doesnt seem like a big deal either way.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    I've to meet the first man/woman on this earth who is never offended by anything. All you need to know are the right spots and keep pouncing.
    But words are words I did not yet hear,
    that the heart was pierced through the ear.

Sorry I just had to use that quote when I read that sentence.

Anyway, what I'd really want to ask is, do you think I should edit out the quote in my signature? Or is it okay to you?

Also I understand the reasons why you wouldn't like political signatures, but there's anotyer small problem I see. This forum is about totalwar. And well the total war games do have something to do with politics, no? So some quotes which even have soemthing to do with a TW game can be political. Also notice that alot of the ingame quotes are too. Now most of these are about so many years in the past, but some actually still have meaning this day. Well, it's not really a problem, but it's just something that occured to me.

anyway, I'll edit me sig if you find it unnappropriate.

Hello Moros,

I don't see a quote in your sig? You mean the link to another forum and the EBM graphic? I don't see a problem with that.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

I haven't really seen any signatures that would be only appropriate in the backroom. I see hilarious quotes and deep, poetic quotes, some sigs for a TW game or specific mod, the occasional smilie, LEN's Ataturk Sig, and that is it.

Nothing wrong with that. I haven't found a borderline racy sig yet.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Hello Moros,

I don't see a quote in your sig? You mean the link to another forum and the EBM graphic? I don't see a problem with that.
    Hmmm? Now, you say it. I forgot I removed it already to make place for something else.
    Sorry to bug you.

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

It is a shame that there is no backroom-exclusive signature for the Backroom only. If only there was a way that would allow the implementation of such a thing.

Hello UltraWar,

There was, and there still is. It's basic, very basic, at the moment. It's disabled again as users seemed to vote against it.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12