Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Political Signatures

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Post Political Signatures

Hello,

The Backroom is an opt-in for some months, so people who want just gaming content don't have to see this. Signatures can still contain Backroom material and are visible in every forum.

There are two solutions for this:
    -ban Backroom content from signatures.
    -have a Backroom only signature.

The code for a Backroom only signature already works, be it that it's still pretty basic. Not 100% sure it shows in all skins now, but the default, Guild, Dojo and RTW work already. There's room for ~500 characters (spaces count too). I do not know yet whether it can become more flexible.

Which option do you like more? Ban Backroom content from the signature and keep displaying the classic signature in the Backroom, or a Backroom only signature that can contain Backroom material?
    Last edited by TosaInu; 05-21-2007 at 13:10.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Awaiting the Rapture Member rotorgun's Avatar

Default Re: Signature

I was never one for doing things with duplicity or cared to include vulgar or ethically questionable material, not that all backroom material is such. I therefore would opt for not including backroom content in my signature. A signature should reflect something of one's personality or character.

This is just MHO of course. I am, however, in the spirit of democracy, willing to abide by the wishes of the greater whole.
    Last edited by rotorgun; 05-21-2007 at 13:20.
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

Editing my posts due to poor typing and grammer is a way of life.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Why complicating things?

We have forum rules already. If a sig violates the forum rules, it has to be changed, if not, it can be shown everywhere. Why making life more difficult by having different rules for different subfora?

Before you know it, people will ask for priviliges concerning their sig in other subfora, like for instance the MP sections where more competitive people tend to post.

I prefer the simplicity of one set of rules being applicable on every part of these forums.

Just my
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres
    Why complicating things?

We have forum rules already. If a sig violates the forum rules, it has to be changed, if not, it can be shown everywhere. Why making life more difficult by having different rules for different subfora?

Before you know it, people will ask for priviliges concerning their sig in other subfora, like for instance the MP sections where more competitive people tend to post.

I prefer the simplicity of one set of rules being applicable on every part of these forums.

Just my
    I agree with andres, one set of rules for sigs for all forums.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Something you won't see me type often I suspect:

I agree with Odin.

Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

The full version of "The Lord of the Sigs" by request from Seamus. (blame him)

Three sigs for the Orgah kings sundered awry
    Seven for the Dork Lords in their halls alone
    Nine for the Tavern Regs doomed to fry
    One for the Dutch Lord on his Org throne
    In the land of Forums where the Backroom lies.

One sig to rule them all,
    One sig to find them,
    One sig to bring them all
    And in the darkness bind them
    In the land of Forums where the Backroom lies.

Translated: I agree with doc - and so on...
    Last edited by Gregoshi; 05-21-2007 at 16:55.
    This space intentionally left blank

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I concur with Andres and the others.

@ Greg':

Put it in Mordor script you lazy oaf...

EDIT: Well, not Mordor speak, but a sprightly full version. Good parody sir.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 05-21-2007 at 17:35.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Something is wrong with me. I can't see any signatures, and I don't know why.
    I support Israel

Hello Lorenzo_H,

They are disabled for a while to show the alternative. The Backroom sig is displayed, that's empty for most people.
    Post #1 shows it.

Thanks for the feedback so far, this topic will stay open for a bit so others can comment too.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

See my post above for the full verions of "The Lord of the Sigs".

Ja mata

TosaInu

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm going to agree with the others here - we have forum rules regarding our actions. If a sig follows those rules, even if it includes some political related stuff, than why is it bad depending on what forum it's seen in?

I understand some people choose not to enter the backroom, but I guess I don't see the harm from having to briefly glimpse a signature that may contain politics in another forum.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Awaiting the Rapture Member rotorgun's Avatar

I agree with Crazed Rabbit on his view of the signature. As long as it doesn't break the rules of decency and decorum set out plainly by the Org. than it should be allowed, wether meant for the backroom or not.

@ Seamus: I suspect you are a Led Zeppelin Fan?
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

Editing my posts due to poor typing and grammer is a way of life.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

"Say hey mamma say the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groo-oove."

Of course.

Prefer Tull and Floyd, but Zep was always worth a listen.

Like many of my generation, I did have fun unraveling the allegories of Stairway, American Pie and Raphsody....

Actually, looking back at my music preferences, I'm rather surprised that I didn't end up a pothead. Lord knows quite a number of my friends were.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Tosa, I don't see your Backroom signature, nor do I see the one I created. I didn't see any options in the User CP to turn it on or off either. Is there a problem or am I doing something wrong?

Hello Gregoshi,

Which skin were you using?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I'm using the (default?) RTW skin.

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    -have a Backroom only signature.
    My votes with that. Those that don't want to use it just could copy and paste it to the other.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    I understand some people choose not to enter the backroom, but I guess I don't see the harm from having to briefly glimpse a signature that may contain politics in another forum.
    Seconded.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

When it is a sensitive time like it was during Israel's occupation in Lebanon, there were many members polarized, eventually some members had gone missing no matter what. No, no way; neither an Israeli flag nor a Palestinian/Jordan one should be that much important to create such unfortunate conflicts.

I strongly disagree with anything political in sigs, 'cause some flag, figure or whatsoever may be within the Org's rules but its political meaning for the related time can be irritating to another.

Seriously I don't even have an idea wtf a political attitude presented in a sig has to do with this forum.

My burnin' two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    I'm using the (default?) RTW skin.
    I see.

Edit: thanks for flagging Gregoshi, that was an odd glitch.
    Last edited by TosaInu; 05-22-2007 at 09:29.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Could we not just leave it to common sense and the mods? You are responsible for your sig along with your posts, and if its inappropriate for the forum in question you take the rap?
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

It works! I see the Backroom sigs...zero point for imagination though Tosa. Thank you. You da Dutchman!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I'm using the RTW/default skin, and I just copied my old sig into the backroom sig. Doesn't look like it processes the tags properly. Is the BR sig straight text-only at this point?

It works in the Preview Post page, but not when viewing the thread.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Yes Drone,

at this point it only understands plain text.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    It works! I see the Backroom sigs...zero point for imagination though Tosa. Thank you. You da Dutchman!
    I think Tosa doesn't put anything else in just to save our lives, for reference, look at that old Frontroom thread about him.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Hello,

Post #20 describes a problem. While the Backroom has the same forumrules, it's quite different from the other forums.

The choice is:
    -no Backroom content in signatures.
    -a Backroom only signature.

At this moment, the sentiment seems to be against a Backroom only sig, and that's fine. But that means that a signature can not contain a political message (no matter how right, left or wrong). I'm sorry.

I'll check this topic again tomorrow, night.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

How can I have my own Backroom sig?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I think that I could fill another sig with my witty comments....
    Wait.
    Never mind.

Just as long as I gotta sig.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Hello,

Post #20 describes a problem. While the Backroom has the same forumrules, it's quite different from the other forums.

The choice is:
    -no Backroom content in signatures.
    -a Backroom only signature.

At this moment, the sentiment seems to be against a Backroom only sig, and that's fine. But that means that a signature can not contain a political message (no matter how right, left or wrong). I'm sorry.

I'll check this topic again tomorrow, night.
    In that case I'd settle for a backromm sig. Even the EA quote in my sig could be seen as being political...
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast