Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis III

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Europa Universalis III

Just downloaded the demo version for this, the diplomacy side of the game seems great, although I'm not so keen on the battles, don't really understand how they work with the dice etc. Also, I can't work out how to group regiments into armies.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here also had the board game, and if its any good. I like games like Axis&Alies, and games like Risk don't cover the renaissance era in such detail.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Default Re: Europa Universalis III

Hi,

I have that game and I enjoy it. I bought it directly from gamersgate.com so no waiting time. A couple of patches have already been released with new tweaks and features, and within a couple of week the new 1.3 will be released too.

I have played a lot of paradox games, and although EU3 is missing some historical flavour it makes up for that in terms of replayability and balance.

See this thread if you are interested in some MP action with a few fellow orgahs: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84814
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    Just downloaded the demo version for this, the diplomacy side of the game seems great, although I'm not so keen on the battles, don't really understand how they work with the dice etc.
    You might want to take a look at this if you are interested in detailed information about the combat mechanics.

Also, I can't work out how to group regiments into armies.
    Grabbing a random screenshot from the Strange Screenshots thread at the Paradox forums:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    See the button with the arrows pointing towards a dot above the list of fleets? Clicking it combines all selected armies or fleets into a single army or fleet. The button with the arrows pointing away from each other allows you to choose to transfer regiments between two armies/fleets you have selected (it is also possible to combine two armies in this manner), or to create a new army/fleet. You can only use the buttons when the involved armies/fleets are in the same province/sea zone, stationary, and not involved in combat.
    Last edited by ElectricEel; 05-21-2007 at 13:09.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

@ ElectricEel:

Thanks for the links, glad to get that sorted out.

@ Sjakihata:

I'm a complete beginner to EU, and I'm just trying out the demo just now, but I might get the game and join you when I have more time during the summer holidays.

EDIT: Don't get that button with the arrows and dot. Is it because I've only got the demo version?
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 05-21-2007 at 18:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    EDIT: Don't get that button with the arrows and dot. Is it because I've only got the demo version?
    No, I think you can also get that in the demo. Make sure you place a few units in the same province than drag a box around them with the mouse and you should be able to create armies!

And if you get the full version, this paradox game actually comes with a good manual!!! And if you get the collectors edition you also get a pretty good strategy guide as well!

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

Oops, I wasn't dragging the box around the units.

I think I will get this game, I'd love to try the MP.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Vicky and DD is what I'll stick with. I've heard the EU3 isn't great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    Vicky and DD is what I'll stick with. I've heard the EU3 isn't great.
    Whoever said that is a filthy, stinkin' liar.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach
    Whoever said that is a filthy, stinkin' liar.
    Freak out.

Hows EUIII system requirement wise for a computer that can barely play RTW
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Paradox games aren't usually to needy graphics wise.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Make sure that your graphic card supports Pixel Shader 2.0.

If it doesn't either don't buy EU3 or do buy a newer graphics card.

If you use integrated graphics (such as frequently seen in laptops) then you could also be in trouble. Some Intel chipsets are useless.

Get to the Paradox forums:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/

PS:

Destroyer of Hope, you have a "there" in your sig which should be a "their".
    Last edited by Slyspy; 05-24-2007 at 01:46.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Thanks Slyspy fixed.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    Hows EUIII system requirement wise for a computer that can barely play RTW
    From the FAQ:

-Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP
    -Intel Pentium 1.9GHz or higher processor (or similar)
    -512 MB computer RAM.
    -128 MB Video RAM graphic card, with pixel shader 2.0, compatible with DirectX 9.0C.

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So Vista is a no-go, right? Damn!

And yes, I have fallen to the evil corporation. Again. Bite me.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster

And yes, I have fallen to the evil corporation. Again. Bite me.
    Bites SwordMasyer, then slaps him brutally in the face.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar
    Bites SwordMaster, then slaps him brutally in the face.
    Hey, hey! The slapping was uncalled for!

Ah, and poscount +1
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Some people have reported that the game works in Vista without problems, but it would probably be a good idea to try the demo before buying.

So how do I enjoy the game? Perhaps it is due to the fact I'm not so much used to playing a video game anymore, but this is the kind of strategy game I find difficult to be enthusiastic about upon seeing it and its overwhelming and vague nature. It seems very open-ended as well. No specific objectives given other than what you want yourself? Interesting. And it seems I can only select a European faction.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

The map at the opening menu is scrollable, move your mouse pointer towards the edges. The interface sucks not just there...

Extremely open-endedness may be a bother, or may not. I find the trade system stupid. However, diplomacy is a marvel. Battles are like MTW naval battles; you have no control over them at all once they start.

If you can figure how to manage the economy and appease your population, for both of which a high stability level is a key, then you can start making big profits and muster majestic armies and ravage the map...sort of.

Diplomacy works in this game! Manage your relations carefully and don't get into alliances potentially leading you to pointless wars. Oh, one stupidity of the diplomatic system: If a war, in which you are a minor ally ends, you're not informed or prompted. Watch the war icon closely, until it disappears.

Good luck. It may get frustrating at times. I give it a break and return to MTW then.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    So how do I enjoy the game? Perhaps it is due to the fact I'm not so much used to playing a video game anymore, but this is the kind of strategy game I find difficult to be enthusiastic about upon seeing it and its overwhelming and vague nature. It seems very open-ended as well. No specific objectives given other than what you want yourself? Interesting. And it seems I can only select a European faction.
    I'd like to know that myself! I really tried to like it, but to me it's just like a big empty sandbox. Takes ages to get anywhere, and IMO it's another complex game system in search of a game. But at least Paradox tries to give people complexity, which is more than most companies do these days.

I eventually went back to DD which I find to be more fun but it also suffers from a lousy UI and over-complex mechanics. Continuous play might be good in theory but in practice I think a turn based system would be more sensible for games of this scope.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Jeez, Bijo and screwtype, you guys seem to hate every game I like.

I myself thought that the implementation of a continuous clock in a grand strategy game is the best thing ever done by Paradox, so yeah.

Turn based has too many artificial limitations. Imagine a Total War with realistic army/navy movement time! That would've been perfectly sensible in the Paradox system while in, say, RTW, it would've made the campaign map altogether even more senseless.

P.S. Bijo, you can select every faction in game. I don't think there should be any problems whatsoever with that. Unfortunately though, life is just not *that* interesting outside of good old Europa in Europa Universalis. Even the mods tend to focus on enriching Europe first, the rest of the world second.

P.P.S. screwtype, I actually agree with you that unmodded Paradox games tend to be rather sandbox-y. Although that's also where all the mods come in; the big ones really make your game much more interesting than vanilla. And while I can see where the UI complaints for EU III come from, I always thought that the Hearts of Iron II UI was rather well done.

My main problem with this game is its interface, lack of clarity, lack of facilitation of efficiency. I do not even see why there are marching and battle animations in it for they hardly add clarity. On-land symbols, flags, with all the necessary military information displayed clearly would be sufficient. Also, instead of a cheap arrow that shows travel progress, position change of the flag (immediate update) would be clearer. Why should I have to select the terribly annoying animation which I have difficulty spotting in the first place to see how much progress they've made? Complexity is good but if the design isn't immediately clear and intuitive to enable a player to enjoy it then **** that ****.

And yes, about being at war, it is vague. Or if you are offered some proposal I would like to know exactly WHO they are, what their stance is, and most importantly WHERE they are, but it seems there is no quick way other than to just check every faction on the map and to go through boring lists. Why not make it so that you can see quickly all the important information of a faction contacting you?

You cannot even change keyboard settings and the scroll sensitivity by the arrow keys is too little which also limits my enjoyment.

I have read about how people praise it. Well, that is all fine, but whatever. I just don't play it. It takes too much hassle to appreciate it.

Can't they just, I don't know, IMPROVE THE INTERFACE AND ITS CLARITY?
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Can't they just, I don't know, IMPROVE THE INTERFACE AND ITS CLARITY?
    Totally agree. As I've said myself on the Paradox boards, what this company needs more than anything is someone who knows how to design a good UI.

It doesn't matter how good the underlying game is, if the interface sucks it might as well be a piece of junk. Conversely, even a lousy game can hold your interest for a while if the UI is good. UI is such an essential element, but sadly there are very few companies who seem to realize it.

BTW I think game mechanics should also be transparent. So much is hidden in Paradox games that if you don't spend a month researching their forums, you really haven't a clue what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    Jeez, Bijo and screwtype, you guys seem to hate every game I like.
    Don't take it personally, I seem to hate nearly every game everyone else likes too

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I just downloaded this game off Steam, 'cause I need something with greater depth and detail than ETW. However, I'm finding it very confusing. Ran through all of the tutorials, but the simplest things are very difficult to wrap my mouse around.

Does anybody know a place where there's a good n00b guide to EUIII? The wiki and the Paradox boards have lots of in-depth discussions of mechanics, but vanishingly little about, you know, simple how-to-click-and-move stuff.

How does one move merchants? How do you group an army? How do you send a colonist? Simple stuff, completely non-intuitive.

I have a feeling there's a great game buried under the weird interface, and I just need a guide to get me there. Links? Ideas?
    Last edited by Lemur; 08-27-2009 at 19:33.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Funny, I just downloaded the Mac version and I'm just as stumped.

So any recommendations would be twice as helpful!
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

First of all, download and install the Magna Mundi mod. It's not a luxury but a must. (Much better balance, realism or in better words credibility, dozens of events etc.) Then...

How does one move merchants? How do you group an army? How do you send a colonist? Simple stuff, completely non-intuitive.
    When you click on any region you see which trading centre it is tied on the right part of the window. Click it and go to that trading centre. Non, in there, you see a merchant icon identical to the one on the top of your screen. Click it and one merchant is on his way. Click again until you run out of merchants or money, whichever comes first. Depending on your trade efficiency and other related parameters one or more of the merchants you've sent will occupy a slot and begin trading. You can see the value of the trading centre and your share in the trade going on there hovering your mouse over somewhere there...

You draw a rectangle around your armies with your left mouse button, given that they are immobile and in the same province. Somewhere to the left of the screen your armies will appear with group, ungroup and edit buttons. The manual is helpful in that regard actually. Don't group your armies while on-board a navy; it results in a CTD.

Once you discover a no man's land (belonging to nobody) you click there and in the window you'll see the colonist icon, colonisation chance and cost. Click to send a colonist. You can't send another till the one on his way succeeds or fails. The game will tell you the result.

Ask away!

As for tips... There are many but some basic points come to mind. First of all, make sure you invest a constant 1.0 to stability. (Drag/click right-left until you get the number, then right click on the sliding button to make it unmovable.) If you have a well going economy with stable tax rates and all, never mind inflation at all and fix a suitable monthly income amount.

You don't have to feed armies while at peace. Just a couple of infantry units and a unit of knights maybe under your monarch's command in case of rebellions would suffice. No matter how well quantified, rebel troops are necessarily weaker than regular armies.

Flatter your allies with periodical gifts and help them in case they face rebellion. Thus you can eventually convince them into vassalage and even peaceful annexation (with no reputation penalties).

Keep an eye for advisors. Make sure you always have one with high stability bonus. Keep in mind that stability is a very important element in this game's mechanics.

I'll spam on as I recollect. HTH for starters.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Dang it all, shoulda bought the box version with the printed manual. Reading through hundreds of pages of PDF makes me want to rip my eyes out.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast