Thread: RTW movie cam broken in 1.5

Daimyo, Sultan & True Roman Member Crian's Avatar

Default RTW movie cam broken in 1.5

I've browsed at the totalwar.com forums, TWCenter.net, and here to find answers but to no avail so I'm posting this in the hope that someone will answer.

This is regarding the RTW movie editor. While -movie_cam works perfectly well in that I can replay battles and record footage, -movie_cam:capture_ video seems to be broken. I follow the tutorial to the letter but no such rendering occurs and the replay simply reloads.... no errors, no CTD, absolutely nothing.

I have RTW with BI patched to 1.6, and many people have had the same problem before. Over at TWCenter, there are threads reporting the same problem with NO replies .... there is some discussion about it and they've come to the conclusion that it's broken in RTW 1.5 and BI... but I'm not ready to give up.

Anyone here who has successfully rendered videos in RTW 1.5 and/or BI? I know there are mods for BI 1.6 who have made trailers using the movie_cam. Please help, even a confirmation from someone that this problem exists would help.

EDIT: Oh and here are some examples of some threads I dug up reporting the same problem - thread 1, thread 2, thread 3 - there are more of those threads over there. Please someone help....
    Last edited by Crian; 05-22-2007 at 03:03.

"Why did we attack the Iceni? Why did we destroy that cargo? I can live with being a pawn if the game makes sense!" - Wingman, Mission 3: The Romans Blunder, Freespace 2

Default Re: RTW movie cam broken in 1.5

BUMP.

Still hoping someone notices this.... help please!!!

"Why did we attack the Iceni? Why did we destroy that cargo? I can live with being a pawn if the game makes sense!" - Wingman, Mission 3: The Romans Blunder, Freespace 2

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Well I think it is truly broken in 1.5, as in not a feature of the .exe any-more as far as I've heard, so unless anyone knows different or you want to reverse engineer your mod to run under 1.2 just to get a video of it, you need some other method of capturing the video.

I've seen Fraps and Game Cam mentioned but haven't got round to trying either. To explain that a bit more - I think you'd still set up the battle replay using -movie_cam to set the camera path, but capture it via a separate screen capture utility.
    Last edited by Makanyane; 05-26-2007 at 11:35.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

A world of thanks Makanye! I was really looking forward to using the movie cam to render instead of something else because the framerate would be stable at 30 fps (I think) instead of getting choppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    I think you'd still set up the battle replay using -movie_cam to set the camera path, but capture it via a separate screen capture utility.
    An elegant solution!!! It might not turn out as great as using the movie cam to render but I'll give it a shot. Thank you!