Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite infantry unit!

Default Favorite infantry unit!

hello again with one of my posts haha well now i want to know which is your favorite infantry unit, well my favorite units are scortmareva, libyan spearmen(early and late), teurophoroi and illirioi teurophoroi, bataroas(a must in every gallic army!) and finally the hoplitai and hoplitai massilote, well although not the heaviest units while using them have helped me to win big battles!

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both." Erwin Rommel
    "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."Erwin Rommel
    "So long as one isn't carrying ones head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." Erwin Rommel

Default Re: Favorite infantry unit!

Sword masters

Hypaspistai

Some people seem to have problems with them, but not me. Hell, they seem to have no trouble pushing their way into a phalanx and tearing them up.

Casse sword masters are beasts - and the new skin rocks - but any missile unit will maul them badly because they lack a shield.

Call me lame I but I like Polibyan principes. Decent unit overall, looks good and tasty, pleasure to watch at work.

Im fond of the normal hoplitai, but like the mercenary version aswell (for a bit of shield variation)

Also like the thracian medium skirmishers (can't remember the name) they're pretty meaty and have served my well on my campaigns into asia minor
    Last edited by Ezephkiel; 05-22-2007 at 22:06.

fancy assault unit Member blank's Avatar

appearance: Roman eastern archer auxilia, Dosidataskeli, Mori Gaesum

overall: Mori Gaesum. These guys look awesome, and are excellent as both phalanx and shock infantry. What more could you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Now I can even store my dick in EB underwear

Well the reformed makedonian pezhetairoi are mine...with the cohorts reformata..imagine the compined power of that formation along with heavy catafract cav and eastern archers......

"Alexander came by the statue of his father and spoke loud: `Youths of the Pellaians and of the Macedonians and of the Hellenic Amphictiony and of the Lakedaimonians and of the Corinthians... and of all the Hellenic peoples, join your fellow-soldiers and entrust yourselves to me, so that we can move against the barbarians and liberate ourselves from the Persian bondage, for AS Hellenes WE should not be slaves to barbarians."

Well, I fell in love with the Dosidataskeli. But, the most regular unit and real battle winner (the dosi are there just as flank support), it's definatly the Gestikapoinann (Lusotannan Light Spearmen). I mean throw anything at them they'll shew them up and spit them out like old chewing gum :).
    Also, Plybian princeps as someone already said, Iudaioi Taxeis for my AS campaign and som manny others... Basically every faction has one unit (on the non elite side) that I somehow can use really well and they may not be ubber statwise but when in combined arms, they really shred everything...

Cheers...

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Favorite infantry unit!

- Agrianikoi Pelekephoroi. Their only disadvantage is their low armour, but with their axes they just rip everybody.

- Thraikioi Peltastai. Best skirmishers ever and also good all-around infantry.

- Hysteroi Pezhetairoi. Stand against all other Phalangites without problems.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Thrakian peltasts hands down.

Although I must admit I'm also a fan of our Camillian Triarii.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Peltastai Thraikioi.

Most useful unit I've ever wielded. Deadly javelineers combined with fairly tough medium infantry. They can hold a line against most regular units when they have to and decimate it from a distance when they don't.

I also have a fondness for the Dorkim Aloopim and one of the Liby-Phoenecians (the better one), for both appearance and effectiveness.

Wow what a great question! I like all the polybian for romans and evocata

The best looking Unit to me are the Sweboz Sahsnotoz - if they only were as useful ^^

However - my favourite Unit are Samnite heavy Infantry mercenaries. During my italian campeign I hired large ammounts of those and they cut thouse Romans into pieces ^^
    "Cum vellet, congrederetur: intellecturum, quid invicti Germani, exercitatissimi in armis, qui inter annos xiiii tectum non subissent, virtute possent."
    Ariovist in Ceasar's De Bello Gallico

got a question about the naked warriors of gaul. I know they were very tough and crazy, but being naked with no protection wont they have fallen pretty easily ??

Mister of the Universe!!! Member Caratacos's Avatar

Smile Re: Favorite infantry unit!

Quote Originally Posted by artavazd
    got a question about the naked warriors of gaul. I know they were very tough and crazy, but being naked with no protection wont they have fallen pretty easily ??
    Not all were naked in real life, i believe. Though the naked ones are more notable and thus are the ones depicted in the game. Perhaps there will be the odd armoured/clothed one in EB2?

Also they were a psychologially devastating unit. By the time they reached their enemy they'd already be crapping themselves and if not running wouldn't be in the best fighting form. Though this shouldn't be exaggerated-- they weren't boogie men or anything.

At the battle of Telamon they were rather velnerable to the Roman javelins (and suffered heavy losses). Though the battle was by no means a clear victory for the Romans. It was the veteran Gaesatae that were looked to to put up the fight.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

LOL
    Caratacos, when I first read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Caratacos
    ...By the time they reached their enemy they'd already be crapping themselves...
    I thought you meant the Gesatatae. And I thought literally.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    LOL
    Caratacos, when I first read this:

I thought you meant the Gesatatae. And I thought literally.
    Well that would be psychologically devastating

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Although between the certain survivability-related drawbacks of their fighting style and possible (if not likely) unpleasant long-term side effects of whatever weird herbal concotion they used as a combat drug, "veteran" may have been somewhat relative. One suspects that wasn't an occupation where pensions normally became and issue, if you see what I mean.

Comes across more as a "live fast, die young, leave a big heap of corpses" sort of thing really.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Smile Re: Favorite infantry unit!

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    Although between the certain survivability-related drawbacks of their fighting style and possible (if not likely) unpleasant long-term side effects of whatever weird herbal concotion they used as a combat drug, "veteran" may have been somewhat relative. One suspects that wasn't an occupation where pensions normally became and issue, if you see what I mean.

Comes across more as a "live fast, die young, leave a big heap of corpses" sort of thing really.
    Yeah. I meant veteran in terms of experience as opposed to age.

Somehow watching naked old men fight would be much worse

EDIT: I suppose I should add my favourite unit... I always like the underdogs so I'm going to say the Gaeroas. Especially the Aedui version... nice trousers.
    Last edited by Caratacos; 05-23-2007 at 07:51.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Word.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Best cheap infantry- Iberian Caetratii. These dudes ROCK!
    They remind me of Warcraft II goblin demolition squads =)

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

Chaeonion Agema. Arguably the best phalangite in the game. They double up as decent swordsmen too. Plus they look damn cool.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Member Member antiochus epiphanes's Avatar

hmmn thats a tough one, id say either the getai komotai thorakitai stratiotai
    and the Epilektoi Hoplitai

My personal favorite is the Bartikoi Scorpion Throwers -

oh god I said too much

The Aspiring God Of War Member Lysander13's Avatar
    Leading the assault against the Gods at Mount Olympos itself.

Thorakitai Argyraspidai is my favorite unit. These guys are totally bad ass.
    Though i don't actually use them in a Arche Seleukeia campaign. In my alternative history version of EB...Makedon is able to recruit them as well as AS from Pella and Demetrias with the highest MIC. ( ** Hey it could've happened that way**)

I'm a big fan of Samnite infantry... just love those guys.
    I'm Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by Caratacos
    Y I suppose I should add my favourite unit... I always like the underdogs so I'm going to say the Gaeroas. Especially the Aedui version... nice trousers.
    I just started my first Romani Campaign and I have to say; Satan Invented Gaeroas to stop me form crossing the Po.

Edit: Spartans.

I like my komatai, they're so versatile. but they're quickly being replaced on my rankings by a couple new units...
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Hard to say, many nice units to choose from. But I think I will go with Thureophoroi (especially the Seleukid ones) with Eranshar Arshtbara on second place.
    We have this almost mythical tree, given to us by the otherwise hostile people in the east to symbolize our friendship and give us permission to send caravans through their lands. It could be said to symbolize the wealth and power of our great nation. Cut it down and make me a throne.

Favourite EB Unit of all time: Makedonian Hypaspistai

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast