Thread: MANSA: Total War (recruitment)

Default MANSA: Total War (recruitment)

Okay, there have been some rumblings about an African mod centering around the great empire of Mali. I think there is finally enough interest in the subject to get a decent mod off the ground. I've never moded Medieval II but look foward to the challenge. I just finished moding a faction in Rome Total War that turns the Egyptians into the Kushites. I'll post it by the end of the day. Below is the premise for the Mali Empire mod/conversion

It'll be called...
    MANSA: Total War (Mansa is the name for emperor among the Mandinka)
    The campaign will be divided into two portions
    1. Lead Sundjata (founder of the Mali Empire) in his battle to defeat the
    Susu and unite the Mandinka into a single federation
    2. Coordinate Two Mandinka generals in a campaign to expand the
    federation into an empire by conquest and trade

-Factions-
    Mandinka of Manden (Mali)
    Soninke of Wagadou (Ghana)
    Susu of Kaniaga
    Amazigh of Walata (also known as Berbers)
    Taureg of Audaghost
    Wolof of Jolof
    Peuhl of Tekrur
    Songhai of Gao
    Bamana of Segou (also known as Bambara)
    Mossi of Macina (they're really from Yatenga but attack Macina constantly)

I am one of the most knowledgible person on the Mali Empire you will ever encounter and possess countless books on the subjects. I know them militarily, politically, economically, etc. About 90% of the info on wikipedia's Mali Empire page was put there by ME. Until recently I knew everything about history but practically nothing about moding with the Total War engine.

-What I can do-
    Skinning
    Historical consultation
    Text edits

-What I need-
    Model makers (I have a copy of 3dsMAX but don't know how to use it)
    Map Makers (I can give you info on what provinces went where and their strategic importance)
    Campaign makers (I know jack about making a campaign)

I was gonna make this mod for Rome Total War, i could do that with very little help. But I think Medieval II Total War is way more appropriate. The Mali Empire began about 1235 and ended (more or less) in 1645. That puts it squarely in the timeframe of M2TW (1080-1500s).

I've got illustrations on African warriors as well including Kanuri and Hausa warriors (infantry and cavalry).

Holla back ASAP so we can get this rolling.

Default Re: MANSA: Total War (recruitment)

Almoravid control of the region
    Here is thier map of control
    http://www.cocc.edu/cagatucci/classe...htimeline2.htm

Here is a paper on the "idea" of Almoravid control of the region.. and the idea that the Almoravids are the reason the Ghana Empire fell in 1076

question: Are you gonna have the Mali rules change to Islam in 1235 after Susa was defeated at the battle of Kirina? But also, the Caste system and native pagan religions held firm as well.

Is your Mali going to be the jistorically correct confederation of the 3 allied states? Mali, Mema & Wagadou (at the Empires height, they also had 12 garrisoned provinces)

question: in 1324/1325 - What about the Diplomatic relations with Tunis & Egypt (due to Mansa Musa pilgramage to Mecca - and the addition of the artisans/scolars to Mali, and Mali even started appearing in european maps) And from the stories, the caravan was laden with 100's of camels with gold, so Mining complexes would be resources obviously

Also, in the 1400, the northern provs fell to revolt (and became Shongai) which eventualy overwhelmed the Mali empire.

So the Late period who we the Mali v Shongai struggles

At the same time, the regions around Lake Victoria included small kingdoms, Great Zimbabwe grew and Swahili city states grew as well

The there is plenty of "stuff" for the 14th & 15th C for Africa

But your West AFrica Mod sounds good...Start with the downfall of the Ghana Empire, have the "remnants", Move to Mali and finall the Mali v Shongai showdown That gives you a good foundation from 1076 to the 15th C, so roughly 400 years

Hiding in a bush near you Member Sir Robin the Brave's Avatar

I would like to help your mod, I have succesfully modded the following before:

-retextured units
    -retextured banners
    -added new units, with textures
    -edited text descriptions, and buildings recruitable units
    -messed around with names :P

I haven't made a map, but I may attempt soon as I am getting bored :D
    Brave Sir Robin ran away.
    Bravely ran away, away!
    When danger reared its ugly head,
    He bravely turned his tail and fled.
    Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
    And gallantly he chickened out.
    Bravely taking to his feet
    He beat a very brave retreat,
    Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

I've been saying that Mali needs to be put into the game for the longest time. Its governmental system alone is worth the merit.

Great to hear from everyone. sorry i haven't been around. i was loosing hope cuz i didn't think anyone was interested. should've checked the board more. anywho, i've run into a problem with my PC which has kept me from taking this thing full steem ahead. my graphics card is too old so iI can't run M2TW on my computer right now. I'm debating between buying a new graphics card or buying a new computer alltogether.

i've been playing M2TW at my homeboy's place and enjoying it. The sudanese infantry units they included for the berbers are roughly what I was going for. i have detailed info on dress and armor. i'll hook up my scanner by the end of this week and put some images on here.

*yeah the almoravids did end the ghana empire.
    *It'll start with native religion then gain the option of adopting Islam in 1312 with the ascension of Mansa Kankan Musa. He really brought islam to the forefront. Prior to him, Mali was only nominally muslim. We might have a system
    *I'm going for as historically correct as possible. Mema and Ghana (Wagadou) will play a big part in the sundiata campaign if we can get it all working.
    *That's why i'm thinking of expanding this mod to not be so centralized around Mali. Mali had strong diplomatic ties with Morocco, the Tunis, Egypt and Arabia going back to 1285. I think going on the hajj should play into it similar to going on the crusades works.
    *We'll see constant struggle between Mali and Songhai. Putting down revolts will make up most of it until the gain independence in the mid 1300s.
    *i like your ideas in total.

Quote Originally Posted by doctrellor
    Almoravid control of the region
    Here is thier map of control
    http://www.cocc.edu/cagatucci/classe...htimeline2.htm

Here is a paper on the "idea" of Almoravid control of the region.. and the idea that the Almoravids are the reason the Ghana Empire fell in 1076

question: Are you gonna have the Mali rules change to Islam in 1235 after Susa was defeated at the battle of Kirina? But also, the Caste system and native pagan religions held firm as well.

Is your Mali going to be the jistorically correct confederation of the 3 allied states? Mali, Mema & Wagadou (at the Empires height, they also had 12 garrisoned provinces)

question: in 1324/1325 - What about the Diplomatic relations with Tunis & Egypt (due to Mansa Musa pilgramage to Mecca - and the addition of the artisans/scolars to Mali, and Mali even started appearing in european maps) And from the stories, the caravan was laden with 100's of camels with gold, so Mining complexes would be resources obviously

Also, in the 1400, the northern provs fell to revolt (and became Shongai) which eventualy overwhelmed the Mali empire.

So the Late period who we the Mali v Shongai struggles

At the same time, the regions around Lake Victoria included small kingdoms, Great Zimbabwe grew and Swahili city states grew as well

The there is plenty of "stuff" for the 14th & 15th C for Africa

But your West AFrica Mod sounds good...Start with the downfall of the Ghana Empire, have the "remnants", Move to Mali and finall the Mali v Shongai showdown That gives you a good foundation from 1076 to the 15th C, so roughly 400 years

I'm glad ya liked my few ideas or info tidbits..:)

Hopefully this Mod goes forward..:) I would even join in, and help out with what cultural/artistic/historical/economic/religious info I can add in..

Quote Originally Posted by MansaSakura
    *yeah the almoravids did end the ghana empire.
    *It'll start with native religion then gain the option of adopting Islam in 1312 with the ascension of Mansa Kankan Musa. He really brought islam to the forefront. Prior to him, Mali was only nominally muslim. We might have a system
    *I'm going for as historically correct as possible. Mema and Ghana (Wagadou) will play a big part in the sundiata campaign if we can get it all working.
    *That's why i'm thinking of expanding this mod to not be so centralized around Mali. Mali had strong diplomatic ties with Morocco, the Tunis, Egypt and Arabia going back to 1285. I think going on the hajj should play into it similar to going on the crusades works.
    *We'll see constant struggle between Mali and Songhai. Putting down revolts will make up most of it until the gain independence in the mid 1300s.
    *i like your ideas in total.