Thread: Pre-emptive Pardon

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Cool Pre-emptive Pardon

If someone is pardoned can a law retroactively be applied to them and they be retried for the same crime despite the pardon?

Is is possible to have a pardon be pre-emptively applied to stop a retroactive law being applied to the action?

Are retroactive laws just?

Are members of boy bands really entitled to call themselves musicians?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Default Re: Pre-emptive Pardon

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Yes, a bad writer is still a writer, a bad musician is still a musician.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

In my replies, I'm assuming these are questions of general ethics not tied to any particular national jurisdiction. I am also making the assumption that by pardon we mean an executive level legal instrument declaring public forgiveness of a crime previously proven in a court of law.

If someone is pardoned can a law retroactively be applied to them and they be retried for the same crime despite the pardon?
    No, IMO.

Is is possible to have a pardon be pre-emptively applied to stop a retroactive law being applied to the action?
    No. As noted, I would expect a pardon to be applied in reference to a previous conviction, not as an absolution for actions that may become crimes.

Yes, in certain circumstances. As one who believes in universal human rights, there are some actions that are unequivocally crimes, but may not be included in a particular country's legal code. That country may develop a better and more just legal code, at which time those who may have committed aforesaid crimes should be tried, even if what they did was technically legal at the time.

To be just however, retroactive laws should be used sparingly and against the benchmarks of universal human rights. Just my opinion of course.

I have no knowledge of these "boy bands" of which you young people of today speak, but if you mean the lad Mozart and the Archbishop of Salzburg's employees, I should say yes.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

No, I believe their called vocalists. A musician tends to write music for instruments also.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    No, I believe their called vocalists. A musician tends to write music for instruments also.
    What you sayin? That we vox'rs cannot use the title musician
    I shall now leer at you're post most intently sir.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

No.

No.

No.

Not in many cases.

Edit:

Making the same assumptions as BQ when answering.
    Last edited by Slyspy; 05-25-2007 at 13:28.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Not in the USA. The languaging of a Presidential pardon is usually constructed so as to prevent this.

Yes, see above. Presidential pardons have also been proffered under blanket languaging like "...which may have been committed in connection with..."

Seldom to never. Expecting someone to have obeyed the law when it was not yet the law places an undue burden. That's "gotcha" legislation, in which case why bother with the legalism.

It is my belief that you are entitled to call yourself whatever you wish. Whether I choose to accord you the same deference is another matter entirely.

That said, N'Sync Rules!!!!!

Excuse me, the neuron responsible for that egregious statement has been dealt with. It had been lurking behind the long-dead "Bee Gees are awesome" neuron and had remained undetected. No further such outbursts are expected.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Hm, maybe our Great Leader will pre-emptively pardon Cheney.. it was awesome the other day when they told him, "Uh, no, you don't have executive privilege, dude" lol

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

=Papewaio
    In the US, I believe this would be considered "Double Jeopardy", and would get thrown out of court.

I agree with BG. There must be a trial and conviction first. Presedential Pardons, ie: Executive Priviledge, trumps all. Used responsibly, no problem, but then we all know that from time to time....

In certain common sense situations, yes. Example: Recently, NY State corrected a major flaw in the State Penal Code. Old law - 7 year statute of limitations for the crime of rape. New law - no statute of limitations for rape.
    A recent local case, The Bike Path Rapist will never come to trial for rapes committed since the late 1970's due to the unjust and misguided statute of limitations on the books till just recently. If they have DNA evidence that ties him to these crimes, and they do, I believe he should answer for these retroactively.and with extreme prejudice

Are members of boy bands really entitled to call themselves musicians?[/
    We don't need no stinkin' lip-sync-hing boy bands.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

I have a question.
    Can new charges of a crime (or accusation) be presented in a fashion that doesnot interpret the pardon as being a functioning instrument in concern of the reasoning of the pardon?

Or, is a pardon a blank check that covers every catagory of/for an offense?
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    I have a question.
    Can new charges of a crime (or accusation) be presented in a fashion that doesnot interpret the pardon as being a functioning instrument in concern of the reasoning of the pardon?

Or, is a pardon a blank check that covers every catagory of/for an offense?
    Depends on the text:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald R. Ford - September 8, 1974
    Now, therefore, I, Gerald R. Ford, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from July (January) 20, 1969, through August 9, 1974.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this eighth day of September, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and seventy-four, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and ninety-ninth.
    This is formatted in such a way that ANY federal crime or misdemeanor was set aside for the entirety of Nixon's presidency (and for the 12 hours immediately before and preceding that presidency if you wish to get picky).

In contrast:

Quote Originally Posted by George H.W. Bush
    NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE BUSH, President of the United States of America, pursuant to my powers under Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, do hereby grant a full, complete, and unconditional pardon to Elliott Abrams, Duane R. Clarridge, Alan Fiers, Clair George, Robert C. McFarlane, and Caspar W. Weinberger for all offenses charged or prosecuted by Independent Counsel Lawrence E. Walsh or other member of his office, or committed by these individuals and within the jurisdiction of that office.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-fourth day of December, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and ninety-two, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and seventeenth.
    This is a blanket covering anything connected with that IC investigation, but would not obviate any penalties or charges stemming from other crimes/misdemeanors.

It's all in the wording....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Thx, Seamus for your perspective.

Gah! i wishes me was smarter.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.