Thread: Shield wall for passive crossbowmen?

Megas Domestikos Member AnthoniusII's Avatar

Default Shield wall for passive crossbowmen?

Searching all mods and paches i haven't see an single attempt to change the animation of passive crossbowmen.In real they didn't carry their sheild on their back in battle time.They stoud their shields infront of them and have them selvs under the shield's protection...A big number of those troops were the only type of troops for lesser states.Anyway the way that M1TW saw us the passive crossbowmen was corect.The same in M2TW is incorect...I hope someone has the will and the abbility to change it.

Default Re: Shield wall for passive crossbowmen?

Historically they usually went in groups of three with two crossbows and one big shield.
    One was in charge of holding the shield, one was shooting, and the third was relaoding the crossbows.
    Too bad I don't see how it can be made in m2tw.
    Perhaps as a siege engine?
    a.k.a Lord hokomoko @ the Lordz Modding Collective

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdnazg
    Historically they usually went in groups of three with two crossbows and one big shield.
    One was in charge of holding the shield, one was shooting, and the third was relaoding the crossbows.
    I'm not so sure, I believe they did go with 1 shield per crossbowmen

well, every man shooting had a shield, so....
    a.k.a Lord hokomoko @ the Lordz Modding Collective

Høvedsmann i Leidangen Member Zajuts149's Avatar

Cool that this thread was here now as I just had an idea about making true Pavise Crossbowmen to work. Please feel free to knock it if it's unfeasible.

I recently reinstalled R:TW again, and looked at the unit file. There i came over the Wardogs, and that gave me an idea. What if one made the Pavise Crossbowmen into a unit with a 'dog', namely the pavisier. The pavisier would basically just stand idle with a pavise and spear, while the crossbowman would stand behind and shoot. Could it be done?
    Last edited by Zajuts149; 06-05-2007 at 01:37.
    "Ar scal risa
    sa er annars vill
    fe eþa fior hafa;
    sialdan liggiandi vlfr
    ler vm getr,
    ne sofandi maþr sigr."
    -Hàvamàl

It seems like it would be workable... I am sickeningly new to modding this game, and couldn't tell you whether the neccessary files are in this game for 'dogs', but if so it doesn's seem like it would be too hard... would there be a way to have the 'shield bearers' stand in front be editing formations?
    Anyhoo, if this turns out positive, I would like to take a shot at it, as that is an absolutely wicked idea! keep us posted!

As far as I am aware, the typical historical formation in field battles was 1st rank pavise and spear, 2nd rank polearm, and then 3rd to 8th ranks crossbows. I think the formation orginally came about from the crusades, as a way of keeping swarms of horse archers at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Zajuts149 View Post
    Cool that this thread was here now as I just had an idea about making true Pavise Crossbowmen to work. Please feel free to knock it if it's unfeasible.

I recently reinstalled R:TW again, and looked at the unit file. There i came over the Wardogs, and that gave me an idea. What if one made the Pavise Crossbowmen into a unit with a 'dog', namely the pavisier. The pavisier would basically just stand idle with a pavise and spear, while the crossbowman would stand behind and shoot. Could it be done?
    I think the dogs system treats the dogs {or burning pigs etc} like so many rounds of ammunition that can be hit and killed .
    Asside from that I'm pretty sure the animal doesn't have a shield stat {you could allways reinstall RTW and check} I am fairly certain that what would likely happen is the unit {especially under A.I. control ; A.I. standing for Artificial Idiot;p} would simply "release" the spearmen whom would then run to the targeted unit and attack it untill dead or the unit ran {which it would then chase off the map and be gone for the rest of the battle} .

You could always try it anyway though .
    Last edited by Mr Frost; 09-27-2008 at 12:41. Reason: Bill Gates is the Debil !
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

Wink Re: Shield wall for passive crossbowmen?

its really easy, just open up your export_descr_unit.txt file through med manager, alter any spearmen formation with hide_anywhere in Attributes. That will make the spearmen crouch in front of the archers, which is great because the archers can fire over their heads and the spearmen can take incoming enemy arrow fire, as well as spring up to attack when thundering cavalry or axemen charge in for a easy kill.

Network speed
    Very slow, I would like to crazy

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackfish View Post
    Network speed
    Very slow, I would like to crazy
    Yes.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger