Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Map Not Loading....

Default Re: Campaign Map Not Loading....

yet another ...

the naming bug (having a character in descr_strat named without a correct entry in descr_names) can show itself in more than 1 way it seems

I modded the last non-Romans in my game to be Roman so the last 5 factions at the bottom of descr_strat(just above slave) where transformed to Romans in name as well incl. descr_names, I just forgat to copy the last file over to my actual game-folder
    the result was that I first got an error saying it "couldnt create settlement at line xxx" wich was the very first settlement in Julii(Local) hands
    not understanding what was up(errr ...) I removed the super_faction line from the Julii to trigger the known CTD

seems that "somehow" the game is able to swallow an incorrect name and only give an(incorrect) show_err error if there is enough data between the error and start of the 1st faction
    cant reproduce it though .....

G

Alright, now it's my turn to sort out those wretched CTD's and filthy KTM's!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Originally posted by Makanyane
    Symptom: KTM's with message on exit: 'Script error in .../descr_strat.txt, at line xxx, column x. could not create settlement at script line xxx
    Mis-match between colour on map_regions.tga and colour listed in descr_regions.txt for affected settlement.
    Using identical colour for two different regions.
    Originally posted by Red Spot
    the result was that I first got an error saying it "couldnt create settlement at line xxx" wich was the very first settlement in Julii(Local) hands
    not understanding what was up(errr ...) I removed the super_faction line from the Julii to trigger the known CTD

seems that "somehow" the game is able to swallow an incorrect name real error and only give incorrect show_err error
    Yeah-yea, there must be something else...
    I've checked this and still get KTM with "script error..blah blah...could not create settlement at script line xxx"
    First settlement in descr_strat. Note that I' haven't yet moved characters to apopriate positions, no resources in descr_regions and d_strat, all vanilla factions are presented, AND... have region names like Etruria_1 and Etruria_1s. Maybe number causes this? Now going to continue search...
    Update: the problem was caused by map_regions with 1 region! Somehow edited map was placed in temp folder, while this one martyrized me!
    After replacement first time game crushed shortly before showing map; I have chosed Julli, so I thought that I might be doomed with always-crashing rome , but next time when loaded as seleucids, it (unbelievable) did not crash on a rome view... I 've succesfully scrolled entire map (almost), but it crashes at the end of ai turn (сука).
    So now i'm going to sort that crap (off-top here)....

btw,
    having lines in RTW descr_strat
    marian_reforms_enabled
    gladiator_uprising_enabled
    causes ktm with "Expected faction - must add at least two factions to the world". I'm sure everyone knows it, but..
    Last edited by Charge; 11-07-2007 at 12:04.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Thanks for the reminder on the marian_reforms bit, did discover that but think I forgot to mention it anywhere you should be able to have
    marian_reforms_disabled
    if you want, if you want them active though just don't use the line at all.

It will give you the must add two factions comment if it falls over anything it doesn't recognise before the factions section.

If you're getting an error on the first city in descr_strat its likely to be a fundamental problem with the files and not related to that city particularly.
    The file with the region names in data/text is often a problem but I don't know if it will cause that particular problem. It should not mind the number in the region name, I've definitely used numbers before I decided on region names.

If you get stuck I don't mind having a look, PM me with link to files if you want...
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Just sorted problem with romans and not having settlements Apollonia, Segesta, Syracuse; it connected with senate missions, as you all know. I spotted it firstly in eb forums, haven't tested how much it dependant of senate presence. It should be added to Symptom: Game CTD's with no message at the end of the campaign loading bar *with romans*.

btw, strange thing - if I had "Rome" in strings, it shows as "Rom". If I type "Romee" it shows properly :).
    Last edited by Charge; 11-07-2007 at 14:31.

Is Rome the last line in the regions and settlements file? If so put an empty line below if and you'll see last letter.

Re: the Senate mission thing, are you using patch 1.5? For some reason I thought that didn't have problem, but then again I was probably using without senate version...
    Download the:

Is Rome the last line in the regions and settlements file?
    Yep,
    the Senate mission thing, are you using patch 1.5?
    Yep.

And problem with slave-turn also fixed..
    Last edited by Charge; 11-07-2007 at 23:55.

Hello to everybody.
    I was trying to create an new map for SQPR mod, but I've run in to some trouble. The game crashes at the end of the loading bar. I know that this crash is asociated with whrong rebel faction used in descr_regions.txt witch is not added in descr_rebel_factions.txt and rebel_factions.txt. But I've checked all those files 3 times, and those are OK. Do u know another bug that cause this CTD? Or there is anybody who can have an look at my files, maybe he can spot errors that I don't. I will be verry thankful if u can help because I am trying to solve this problem for 3 days and have run out of ideea of where to look tor the bug. Thankyou verry much.

Problem fixed, thanks to Charge. See here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...84#post1741984

Wimpy of the Sore Ass Member WImPyTjeH's Avatar

Have you guys ever had a KTM, which generated new map.rwm, but didn't show an error message (yes, I have the show_err line and I deleted the map.rwm) ?

I've had lots of KTMs but they all triggered an error message so far...
    Last edited by WImPyTjeH; 12-16-2007 at 22:21.
    Proud supporter of The Fourth Age: Total War
    Mod Realms - News about and home for fantastical and historical mods
    The Chamber of Records - The site dedicated to the Lore of J.R.R. Tolkien
    - The Hearts Of Men Find No Comfort In Peace ... -

Burns: I still have a hard time figuring out what the heck his name is or means...
    Apoc: Yes, I have wondered that, as well. A Google search brought up:
    Wimpy Tjeh: The great Belgian warrior, most famous for dropping his pants at the Battle of Someplaceinbelgumandnotinthenetherlands, and shouting to the Roman archers: 'Here's a target for jeh!' Also known as Wimpy of the Sore Ass.

I don't suppose "yes I have, but can't remember cause".... constitutes a useful response! (sorry)
    Download the:

Wimpy of the Sore Ass Member WImPyTjeH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    I don't suppose "yes I have, but can't remember cause".... constitutes a useful response! (sorry)
    Never mind. ;) It's a strange error though. There's a KTM which generates a new map.rwm, but it doesn't trigger an error report...

I'll guess I'll strip or redo it
    Proud supporter of The Fourth Age: Total War
    Mod Realms - News about and home for fantastical and historical mods
    The Chamber of Records - The site dedicated to the Lore of J.R.R. Tolkien
    - The Hearts Of Men Find No Comfort In Peace ... -

Burns: I still have a hard time figuring out what the heck his name is or means...
    Apoc: Yes, I have wondered that, as well. A Google search brought up:
    Wimpy Tjeh: The great Belgian warrior, most famous for dropping his pants at the Battle of Someplaceinbelgumandnotinthenetherlands, and shouting to the Roman archers: 'Here's a target for jeh!' Also known as Wimpy of the Sore Ass.

Just throwing something in here which was really annoying today and produced no errors until I redid a region: Cities which may have a port building in descr_strat but no actual port on map_regions will KTM the game.

We're getting a very unusual error on the METW map. When scrolling over a region of the map, it CTDs, but not immediately and not over the same area. The resources are all in order, the names, regions and settlements are ok, there are no double colours in map_regions and the colour assignments are correct. Toggling fow off solves it, but as soon as fog is lifted again, CTD.

Any suggestions?

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

The immediate bit may mean its not this; but RTW had some combinations of faction creator in strat versus regions file it didn't get on with, try switching those around (I think that is more immediate and at same place though)

Putting a rebel which is sub_faction of a faction that is not in the descr_strat file will CTD when you get in range to view the rebel (if they are moving that might explain variability) - something else dodgy in the rebel set up might do the same.
    Download the:

Right now there is only 1 active rebel army on the map and I dont presume this has the same effect on unoccupied rebel settlements. If the faction creator for each region is equal to that of the entry in regions does it not mean that the problem wouldnt exist?

No it won't be that then, and I just remembered you're on BI and I don't think that has problems with the faction creator (RTW just got funny on certain factions sometimes).

I've seem some mods withdraw or give alternative strat map models because they caused crashes on some but not all computers, do you have anything unusual on those?

Is it the MetW map WImPyTjeH got loading that's doing it, if so maybe me/others could look and see if it CTD's for us too.
    Download the:

Yep, it's that map, but after I fixed it Burns added more regions, some of them in that crashy region of the map too. Which files would you like me to upload? The entire campaign folder along with rebel factions and region/settlement names?

do you use the faction that was once the Senate, and if so do you have rebels connected to them ?? ...

I had some rebels linked to the Senate and got nothing but CTD's when I scrolled over slave terf. (only when visible, so with no FOW or moving in spies), I changed the slaves to be linked to the Julii and the map worked at least without CTD's ... (now my faction-creator is always Julii and the slaves sub-factions are distributed across the 3 main Romans)

I'd say try linking all rebels to a "regular" faction and see if it happens again ..
    (I know Mak. said the rebel-problem isnt in BI, it does look very similair to the problem I had)

G

Nope, no senate in there, just BI factions. And I think all the rebels are regular factions (could being Ostrogoths have any weird affect??)

Symptom: KTM's with message on exit: 'Script error in .../descr_strat.txt, at line xxx, column x. could not create settlement at script line xxx

* Mis-match between colour on map_regions.tga and colour listed in descr_regions.txt for affected settlement.
    * Using identical colour for two different regions.

I ve double, tripple checked both. It must be another thing. The screen ALMOST loads ( the loading bar DOESNT appear, but nevertheless, i dont get kicked to the previous menu straight away, a black screen appears for a second and then i m kicked to the previous menu.

any thoughts?

if i make a breakthrough here i might start something bigger sometime :P

Ive copy pasted my own post since this might help others with the same problem eventually i think.

I have experienced the same error
    I checked both and the error was not 1 of these
    * Mis-match between colour on map_regions.tga and colour listed in descr_regions.txt for affected settlement.
    * Using identical colour for two different regions.
    What solve the problem was that i changed the color of the 3 regions in map_regions.tga (and the descr_regions) from 255 0 0 to 254 0 0, 0 255 0 to 0 254 0 and 0 0 255 to 0 0 254. I was using GIMP 2 to paint the tga file and running the map in RTW patch 1.5.

Maybe that your problem Birdman2008, that your using invalid colors.

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Umm, DoctorChe, your error was the second one from the list, you used the same colour in map_regions.tga for three (not the two specified in the error) regions.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

is 255 0 0 completly red equal to 0 255 0 completly green or 0 0 255 completly blue

Hi.

I'm modding new regions into my BI, and added one in Northern Ireland. It worked fine with no garrison, but as soon as I added a garrison I got a CTD, specifically this one:

Symptom: Game CTD's with no message at the end of the campaign loading bar.
    Except the solution in this thread had no effect. Any ideas?

Make sure the name of the garirson's captain is available for his (sub-)faction and that the unit is also available to the faction.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

I created a new map for a mod I am making and cant get it to work.

Symptom: Game CTD's with no message shortly after arrow is clicked to start campaign - new map.rwm is generated.

• Width or height of map exceeds maximum. (Maximum = 510pixels map_regions, 1021pixels map_heights size.
    It is much smaller
    • Misspelt character name in descr_strat.txt, or use of name which doesn't belong to faction you have assigned it to - check in data/descr_names.txt for faction specific names.
    didnt mess with character names yet
    • An elephant or chariot unit which is included in the descr_strat.txt file has an 'officer' assigned to it in export_descr_units.txt. Those types of units cannot have an officer and unlike other unit related bugs this one causes CTD on trying to load campaign.
    Didnt touch elephants or chariots
    • Having the Romans able to horde "and" have the senate as their super-faction. (under BI.exe)
    Im using rome

Could it possibly be an errant pixel? I looked again and again, but found nothing.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Added more factions, found a few errant pixels, and decided to rework the regions tga once more. Still doesnt work...and I am at a loss as to what to do now. If it helps, I have uploaded the aryth campaign file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t5yznjdfntj

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Why would you add more factions, when the previous amount didn't work?

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

I was bored. Anywho, I am still stuck on this...

Back up your .tga map files and then use 1 climate, 1 ground type, no features, etc (ie make the map as simple as possible) and see if it loads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast