Thread: Alexander modding or Rome total War modding

Ossie The 1st Member Ossie The Great's Avatar
    Very far away........ ( which usally is the beach )

Default Alexander modding or Rome total War modding

Hi
    i Just wanted to know what the advantages of modding on alexander is rather than rome total war

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Default Re: Alexander modding or Rome total War modding

They are very similar, though Alex. obviously has some additional features such as immortal / unique generals and faction-specific mercs.

There's a thread here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84221

Wlesmana of LOTR:TW is probably most familiar with Alex., and Lusted knows a bit too. I have been modding BI too long to be of much use ;)
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dol Guldur
    They are very similar, though Alex. obviously has some additional features such as immortal / unique generals and faction-specific mercs.

There's a thread here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84221

Wlesmana of LOTR:TW is probably most familiar with Alex., and Lusted knows a bit too. I have been modding BI too long to be of much use ;)
    Thanks,

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

The biggest difference between ALX and vanilla or BI is the hard coded limit on DMB. I have 330 entries in my mod and I haven't found the maximum number yet. BI and vanilla is limited to 250 entries.

The next big thing is, of course, the unique general models. You can have battle and strat model and portraits that cannot be used by any other general in the game.

Then there is ai_do_not_attack_faction in descr_strat, which prohibits the AI to attack certain factions, except when they're at war.

Another one I'm unsure if it's limited to ALX: the faction specific mercenaries. In ALX, you can specify regional mercenaries to be recruitable only by certain factions.

However, ALX cannot use the features of BI such as hording, shield wall, schilstrom and swimming.

Hi
    thanks for the info, i was just trying to find out whether it would be worth making narnia total war on alx instead of rtw, anyway i think i will stick to rtw at the moment and change it to alexander when the mod is complete.

P.S I have just orderd alexander so at least when lotrtw comes out i can play it

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

It's also worthwhile considering that fewer people have the Alexander expansion, so you're limiting your audience by modding specifically for that. So modding for RTW or BI, then converting afterwards if need be is probably the best way to go for a new mod.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Quote Originally Posted by professorspatula
    It's also worthwhile considering that fewer people have the Alexander expansion, so you're limiting your audience by modding specifically for that. So modding for RTW or BI, then converting afterwards if need be is probably the best way to go for a new mod.
    Yes, that is the reason i did not do it on alexander

I'm curious, is Testudo missing from Alexander also? I really like the AI not attacking option but I think I read a while back that some RTW features are missing also not just BI features?
    LT_1956 Creator of SPQR: Total War

SPQR:TW Mod forums

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Testudo still works. I don't think anything from vanilla is missing from ALX.