Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faction Conversion List

Default Faction Conversion List

Here's the final ( just about! ) list of which old faction becomes which new faction:

England - Bretonnia
    H R E - Empire
    Russia - Vampire Counts
    Egypt - Tomb Kings
    Moors - LizardMen
    Poland - Kislev ( later! )
    Aztec - Orcs
    Portugese - Dwarves
    Byzantium - High Elves
    Spanish - Dark Elves
    French - Skaven
    Sicily - Khorne
    Hungary - Nurgle
    Milan - Slaanesh
    Denmark - Tzeentch

There is plenty of scope for other factions and additions, bu these are the core ones.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Default Re: Faction Conversion List

So do these have any bearing on the progression of the mod or is it purely arbitrary which faction becomes which?

Purely arbitrary .... there will be changes to just about everything that makes a factoin a faction .... but it is useful for anyone working on the mod to know.

Kl good to see is there going to be a beasts of chaos faction?

I love how the French are dirty rats... just like real life!

jk lol

but seriously... the irony

And russia the vampire counts... say those two together, you think of dracula... yay suckin' blood!

There is a possible 31 factions .... and we can't make them all and still have a workable mod before we all die of old age! We have an initial core set of factions that will make for good battles and a nice balanced campaign.

Yes...we can add extra units, extra factions and so on ...but that will be follow up work. Priority now is getting a working framework that we can build on.

We can still include Beastmen units....but as rebels. No need to flesh out a whole unit set that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman55
    And russia the vampire counts... say those two together, you think of dracula... yay suckin' blood!
    cept count dracula wasnt russian but romanian

Grailknight is correct. Transylvania is in the Mountainous regions of Romania, and not Russia. This, however, is Warhammer....

I picked them purely because of the Eastern European accents of the troops, and because they had to be some faction

There is ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION between the factions and their chosen sides. Except where I felt that th egame had some existing feature that would fit. Like choosing Egypt for the Tomb Kings...

Quote Originally Posted by grailknight
    cept count dracula wasnt russian but romanian
    Yup, your right!

Well, that is all sounding really good so far. I also like the fact that you will be able to add more factions in the future if you choose to due to the fact that there are 31 factions in the game.

Warhammer: Total War Team Member Krazysigmarite's Avatar

Something interesting I found today - Araby, the huge kingdom west of Khemri in the Southlands, actually has a full army with models.

The thing is, it's Warmaster, which means the models are MUCH smaller scale. From what I can see so far though, their list is fairly similar to what we see in medieval already - elephants, camels, desert masks, et cetera. Just a thought for later release factions.

Araby Army

Wouldn't it be logical to make Aztecs into Lizardmen seeing as the Lizard men are completely based off of the Aztecs. I don't know wheather it would make a difference but perhaps that way the cities would match lizardmen cities.
    Lizardmen
    http://www.itarsworkshop.com/images/...Temple%202.jpg
    Aztecs
    http://www.raphaelk.co.uk/web%20pics...scriptions.JPG

I'm seeing some sort of resemblance here. Just thought I'de point that out.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Faction Conversion List

Quote Originally Posted by Krazysigmarite
    Something interesting I found today - Araby, the huge kingdom west of Khemri in the Southlands, actually has a full army with models.

The thing is, it's Warmaster, which means the models are MUCH smaller scale. From what I can see so far though, their list is fairly similar to what we see in medieval already - elephants, camels, desert masks, et cetera. Just a thought for later release factions.

Araby Army
    I also think Cathay, Nippon and Estalia got army lists and at least some figures a long time ago.

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Nippon would be cool, like a bretonnion, but with all the knights replaced with samurai on foot, and men ~ at ~ arms replaced with ashigura

Also CHOAS DWARFS would be possible, just make slightly different versions of the normal dwarfs (no cross bows though, and more gun powder) and you could stick some monster units in (Gnoblars, orges and even black orks, its mentioned in fluff that they might originate from the choas dwarfs as slaves for war and labour were other creatures (including runterier orks) would simply die)
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abokasee
    Nippon would be cool, like a bretonnion, but with all the knights replaced with samurai on foot, and men ~ at ~ arms replaced with ashigura

Also CHOAS DWARFS would be possible, just make slightly different versions of the normal dwarfs (no cross bows though, and more gun powder) and you could stick some monster units in (Gnoblars, orges and even black orks, its mentioned in fluff that they might originate from the choas dwarfs as slaves for war and labour were other creatures (including runterier orks) would simply die)
    I suggest you mention it when the second release of this mod is being planned.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

oh NOM NOM NOM Member Spankfurt's Avatar

Good stuff, good stuff.

You planning on including just the races you can play tabletop? or are there going to be some extras put in?
    ­­well guys, im off like a lepper teste

Quote Originally Posted by Spankfurt
    Good stuff, good stuff.

You planning on including just the races you can play tabletop? or are there going to be some extras put in?
    This is based on the Warhammer universe so we can include anything that exists in any Warhammer game, be it WHFRP, WH Table Top, Man-o-War, WH Epic or any of the other gazillion of Games Workshops Warhammer games I've probably forgotten about. But it'll be a while before we reach a point where we've made all the major WH Table Top factions so that's a future issue.

We're strictly adhearing to the Warhammer world. We won't make up anything ourselves, (beside filling in the odd gap for playability) or add anything that isn't allready included in any existing Games Workshop game set in the Warhammer universe.

Aztecs for the Orcs? Wouldn´t one of the Horde factions (Timurids or Mongols) make more sense? You can make them playable and still remain Horde factions, I believe. It would absolutely suit the Orcs, to start out as one big green mop coming over the Worlds Edge Mountains and sweeping into the civilized lands.

And the Aztecs would fit the Lizardmen (ifyou get around to make them, I suppose they´re just as, or even more, difficult to create as Orcs) a lot better.

I'd maybe make dark elves hungarian or what-not. seeing as they have battlefield assasins :p

Since the characteristics being mentioned for the factiosn are purely down to statistics, text files and such like ... and since we are going to change ALL of those things for the factions we make ... there is no need to make comparisons at all.

The Hungarians may have assassins ... but there will be no hungarian units, no hungarian anything except for a hungarian shaped slot in a list to git a faction into. Everything else about that will be changed to fit our needs.

What stats or text files make a hungarian unit a battlefield assassin? And why can't we add that to another faction? Also...why make a faction a horde? If it is a perfect match to a faction..then we would. If not...we won't!

The only REAL purpose this thread performs is to make sure that anyone working on the mod knows which faction is whivh, and can make sure that they don;t create a bunch of Empire units and make them Spanish...so I have to swap them all about to make them work when I findthat someone else has made Khorne Beserkers as Spanish too!

It's just a reference page. The choise of faction has no bearing on units, stats, playability or ....in fact ...anything!

Do you, or anyone else in the team have msn?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran
    Aztecs for the Orcs? Wouldn´t one of the Horde factions (Timurids or Mongols) make more sense? You can make them playable and still remain Horde factions, I believe. It would absolutely suit the Orcs, to start out as one big green mop coming over the Worlds Edge Mountains and sweeping into the civilized lands.
    Having a faction start as a horde only makes sense if they dont have any settlements on the map and if you check the map thats been posted orcs and gobbos actually have the most regions of all the factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    Since the characteristics being mentioned for the factiosn are purely down to statistics, text files and such like ... and since we are going to change ALL of those things for the factions we make ... there is no need to make comparisons at all.
    Don't forget sound. Since nobody is planning on recording new sounds, the original factions sounds files will be used. Orcs need the sounds of the faction that sounds retarded. Too bad none of them do. So in this situation we'll just have to make do.

If anybody is music tech savvy, one idea is to use the scottish files and pitch them down a smidgeon for orcs. It might work really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Casuir
    Having a faction start as a horde only makes sense if they dont have any settlements on the map and if you check the map thats been posted orcs and gobbos actually have the most regions of all the factions.
    Duh, trust me to forget all about the map.

Anyways, the idea of an orcish horde (after their last settlement has been taken they would revert to horde status) does hold serious appeal, in my opinon.

It would also be a good idea for an add-on campaign, doing an orcish "unification war", i.e. start out with a horde and first conquer all the independent orcish settlements.

Of course, it´s your mod to do with it whatever you want - I´d never try and force something on you, unlike some.
    Last edited by Ciaran; 06-13-2007 at 18:54.

Well hording in that fashion is a different matter and I dont see a reason why it cant be included. Thats presuming everything works there. As for seperate campaigns, maybe, its possible anyways but we'll try to get the main one done first.

How much work would it be to convert HRE to the Empire?

Quote Originally Posted by Agentdoom
    How much work would it be to convert HRE to the Empire?
    We will tell you when we have done it!

My apoligies, I was trying to make a joke about how the Empire of Warhammer was based off of the HRE.

That conversion list is a bit odd. I thought it would be based to real warhammer map. Dwarfs should be poland or hungary, lizardmen aztecs, orcs hungary/portugese/maoris. I also think that High and Dark elves should be neighbors if you have read some fluff about warhammer. Altogether there is some races which should be neighbors, Dark elves - High elves, Empire - Chaos, maybe Dwarfs - Orcs etc.

It wouldn't be hard because warhammer itself is based to europe like M2TW.

Sorry for my bad english (If it is).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast