Thread: How much does it cost to be a vassal?

Default How much does it cost to be a vassal?

What's the % of your incomes that you need to give away?

I'm starting to wonder if being a vassal is a better option than making an alliance and maintaining it. After all, you are guaranteed to not get backstabbed, you have automatic military access and good relations.

Default Re: How much does it cost to be a vassal?

Actualy as a Vassal you can still be back stabbed and im pretty sure the cost is any amount over ten thousand in your treasurery will be donated to your overlord. However becoming a vassal can be a nice way of ending a war that you dont want. Just gets irritating when they offer it to you whilst you are crushing them sigh.
    "Money isnt the root of all evil, lack of money is."

(Mark Twain)

You can get backstabbed. Often a couple of turns later.

Unless you're about to go extinct. I wouldn't consider it as an option.

Caged for your safety Member RabidGibbon's Avatar

I don't think that any amount over 10,000 does get donated to your new Lords & Masters. Whenever anyone demands I become their vassal I generally accept if they pay me around 10-15k. And quite often they do.

These funds come in useful for when they backstab me a few turns later. Their might be a percentage loss of income, but its not something I've ever noticed.

Your provinces do count towards their victory conditions though, but in a VH campaign game, where war is the natural state of things between the player and the rest of the world I find that a few turns respite from one direction and a pile of cash outweighs the disadvantages and I'll normally accept an offer of vassalisation (If the price is right).

I suppose its also a prestige thing, I can understand why the idea of being under the AI's would put people off, but what can I say, I'm shameless.

Cost, I do not know. I was back stabbed about every 10 turns. I would see them coming down to my city and would run my army up there to defend. They would besiege my city. Then I would hit them the next turn. After driving them off, they would offer me the chance to be a vassal again. This went on for ever or so it felt. When my defending army was recovered it would run down to take a new city. Then get ready to run back up for the backstab. After taking 5 cities this way I was ready to get my 2nt Army. That backstab was fatal for them. SadCat

Epitome of Ephemeral Success Member Death is yonder's Avatar
    A perpetual tropical island by the equator

Read this excellent guide to vassalage made by jong-https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83011
    You cannot add days to life but you can add life to days.