• Thomas "Stonewall"Jackson

6 24.00%
  • Davout

5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Summer Campaign-Napoleonic Bracket Rd. 2

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Summer Campaign-Napoleonic Bracket Rd. 2

The 2nd Round in the Napoleonic Bracket, and there is 1 additional general.
    My humble mistake in missing it the first time.

There are 9 generals and there are
    4 votes per general.
    Poll is open for 7 days

Good Luck
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Cool Re: Summer Campaign-Napoleonic Bracket Rd. 2

Lol!! Europeans love to hate on washington

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: Summer Campaign-Napoleonic Bracket Rd. 2

As a fellow American, I have to take offense at your tone, K COSSACK -- on behalf of both myself and our European colleagues. I didn't vote for Washington either, and I can assure you it had nothing to do with "hating" him. I have enormous respect for the man, and readily acknowledge that we might still be a British territory if not for his Herculean efforts.

However, I don't believe his overall generalship abilities can truly compare to those such as Napoleon, Robert E. Lee, etc. Was Washington good? Yes, absolutely. Was as he as good as most of the other Round 2 contenders? IMHO, no he wasn't.
    Last edited by Martok; 05-23-2007 at 02:15.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Gah! Why is Davout so bereft of votes?

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

@Martok- oh plz you know europeans put aside U.S. generals! it always happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar
    Gah! Why is Davout so bereft of votes?
    This is what happens when you walk in the shadow of someone like Napoleon, history cannot help but overlook you.

Here is unapologetically glowing thumbnail sketch of Davout for the uninitiated...

Military historians generally view Davout as an extremely capable general and those who specialize in the Napoleonic era rarely fail to sing his praises. Davout was an absolute expert in the art of war. He was almost as adept as Napoleon with regard to strategic & operational matters, an arguably superior tactician, a master of matters logistical and administrative as well as a strict disciplinarian and drillmaster. Davout even demonstrated a remarkable penchance for intelligence gathering which Napoleon put to good use by placing him in charge of France's spy network in Central and Eastern Europe. Beyond his martial talents Davout was a stoic, fiercely loyal individual who stood by his Emperor's side even when he was cast aside for less capable Marshals... most of whom abandoned Napoleon when the threat to their titles and social status became apparent (i.e. the last campaigns of 1814). Last but not least Davout was undefeated in battle, a feat very few of history's great captains were able to accomplish.

Davout's main fault lie in the fact that he was not a very charismatic man. Although he always led by example he would rarely engage in the necessary theatrics or display the necessary bravado and/or affability that often inspires the common soldier to 'go above and beyond'. As a result it comes as no surprise to learn that Davout was generally poor at interpersonal politics and this combined with his insistence on placing logic and reason above the controversial desires of his master ultimately led to his falling out with Napoleon. Rather tragic for Bonaparte since Davout's talents & skills were sorely underused in the campaigns of 1813, 1814 & 1815.

Davout's nickname was 'The Iron Marshal' which is as much a commentary on his leadership style as it is on his steadfastness and tenacity in battle.
    Last edited by Spino; 05-23-2007 at 21:49.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I often wonder about whether, if Davout were at Waterloo, Napolon could have won. If you swapped someone incompetent like Ney, or really anyone who was on the campaign, Napoleon may well have won.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Especially if he replaced Gouchy (?) and kept track of the Prussians,.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Or simply swapped Ney and Grouchy...

According to contemporaries, Ney was a good rear-guard and an absolute terrier when following up a battle. Had he been in Grouchy's command, he might have never lost contact with Blucher....

On the other hand, Grouchy may have been better suited to the more set-piece components of the Waterloo fight and, I suspect, both a bit slower and more decisive at Quatre Bras.

Still, I have to agree the Davout would have made a better choice in either role. He was a Sulla to Napoleon's Marius -- not quite the political leader but nearly as good (and in some ways possibly better) in the field.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Spino
    This is what happens when you walk in the shadow of someone like Napoleon, history cannot help but overlook you.

Davout's main fault lie in the fact that he was not a very charismatic man. Although he always led by example he would rarely engage in the necessary theatrics or display the necessary bravado and/or affability that often inspires the common soldier to 'go above and beyond'. As a result it comes as no surprise to learn that Davout was generally poor at interpersonal politics and this combined with his insistence on placing logic and reason above the controversial desires of his master ultimately led to his falling out with Napoleon. Rather tragic for Bonaparte since Davout's talents & skills were sorely underused in the campaigns of 1813, 1814 & 1815.
    Yea I was just going to say....no one voted for Davout because no one really knows about him in general. Guess that teaches us 1 lesson: if you want to be remembered in history, don't serve under anyone more loud and pompous than you lol.

Had Davout been at the Waterloo campaign, I wouldn't put it past him if he defeated the entire Prussian army with just d'Erlon's corps alone