Thread: Faction Thread 5: Chaos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Faction Thread 5: Chaos

Not one faction .... but 4 factions. Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Tzeench.

The outline unit list is pretty much as follows:

Chaos Marauder

Mounted Marauder

Veteran Marauder ( like the ordinary, but a bit nastier and 'touched' by Chaos )

Mounted Veterans

Chaos Warrior

Veteran Warrior ( mutated and a bit more Chaos Faction specific. ) These guys will be different for each faction, where the ordinary warriors are not. Casuir has started work on these, and they will be a bit more 'nasty' than the basic warriors.

Chaos Knights ( very nasty ) Mounted and foot versions..with a suitably chaotic steed!

Chaos Champions. Not strictly a unit in the true sense, but these guys will be in as small a unit as possible, and would represent the generals bodyguard. I also plan on using a variant of this model as a leader model for the lower rank units.

With the faction specific variations on the Elite units, we are looking at 17 units. Marauders will serve as crew figures for Chaos siege engines.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Faction Thread 5: Chaos

Are minor deamons planned ? Things like Plaguebearers, Deamonettes, and their kornish and tzeentchich equivalents.

Would it be possible to have Chaos Dwarves as servants for warmachines ? Not the pretty blank chaos dwarves introduced by SoC, but the former babylonian-looking chaos dwarves. As they'll likely never be released as their own faction, it would be neat to have a few available to other Chaos factions.

Or if you feel like doing it, a few Chaos Dwarfs units that would be available to the player if he meets some conditions.

Default Re: Faction Thread 5: Chaos

It's great to see that the Chaos faction is moving forward.

If you're going to make Chaos Dwarfs, don't make them the old tower-hats. Better take them down the same route which GW inclines. And without those damn hats and beards...

The only warmachine chaos use is the hellcannon, dont know bout bwian but I wouldnt be in a hurry to make that thing. Chaos dwarfs would be pretty low priority units in the grand scheme of things, they're off the map and gw seems to have abandoned them.

The Chaos Dwarfs are far from abandon by GW, I can assure you.

Anyway, I do agree that the Chaos Dwarfs arn't part of the map and should be on low priority.

The lack of warmachines is something I have always wondered about in the armybooks. In my wargaming days, the chaos army was allowed to field rams and simple catapults. These were dressed up with chaos 'decorations' kit-bashed from spare soldier bits.

I know it's not canon...but it's a thought

The siege element will be interesting for Chaos factions. They will need to rely on rams to take out gates, and siege towers and ladders to scale the walls and storm them hand to hand. There is no real need to give them catapults to just bombard the enemy form a distance. Chaos doesn't approve of such cowardly tactics. Get in close and fight hand to hand.

It will be nice to have some demonic units, but we need to make sure we have a balanced set of units all round for the initial release. Extra's can be added later once we have a solid core. I don't want to focus too much on any one faction initially, and right now, we have a lot of factions needing a lot of units!

Will the chaos warriors for the four gods be identical to each other stat wise, with only texture differences? Are you saving those differences for the veteran warriors (which, by the way, I would rename to Chosen of Chaos)?

The Chaos Army book shows very specific bonuses for the chaos warriors marked by a specific god:

"Nurgle: causes fear." Can we use the fear used by camels against horses here? Make them cause fear against all infantry and cavalry.

"Tzeentch: Generates power dice." This will be very tricky, depends on how magic is handled. Not sure how you would do this.

"Slaneesh: immune to psychology". Thats easy, give them a high morale level.

"Khorne: Frenzy". Since we cant do extra attacks without changing the animations, maybe just give them slightly higher attack number?

Also, an idea to increase the Chaos players unit list in the Grand Campaign:

Have an event occur sometime into the game, similiar to Gunpowder, where the Chaos player is picked as Chosen of the Gods. Suddenly he can start to build warriors and demons from all four of the Chaos Gods.

It would be interesting if there was a chance for the computer to be picked instead (only if the event kept reocurring, so you would eventually be picked). If you want to increase your chances of becoming the Chosen One, you better start killing the other Chaos factions.

But the computer being selected is a side issue, the priority here would be for the player to have more units made available to him, so later into the game he can field armies with a large range of troop types, and doesnt feel penned into just Khorne marauders, Khorne warriors, Bloodletters, and thats it.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Faction Thread 5: Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    The lack of warmachines is something I have always wondered about in the armybooks. In my wargaming days, the chaos army was allowed to field rams and simple catapults. These were dressed up with chaos 'decorations' kit-bashed from spare soldier bits.

I know it's not canon...but it's a thought

The siege element will be interesting for Chaos factions. They will need to rely on rams to take out gates, and siege towers and ladders to scale the walls and storm them hand to hand. There is no real need to give them catapults to just bombard the enemy form a distance. Chaos doesn't approve of such cowardly tactics. Get in close and fight hand to hand.
    Well, Chaos don't give a crap about what seems coward or not, as long as it fit with its aim, no ?

I agree Khorne worshiper would hardly use long range artillery, as Khorne is looking for blood and blood only. But I see no reason why the other gods would not make use of artillery.

Hell cannons should be ok for any of the chaos factions, if i remember right they have a demon bound to it so it wouldn't be having a weapon do the dirty work for you but rather having a demon spew forth warp energy that explodes on impact.

Just make them cost loads in upkeep so you don't have them rolling around with every stack.

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Why isn't the Chaos thread a sticky, but all the over factions are? The Dark Princes feelings is being really hurt now.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch are, hopefully, now pacified. The thread is stickied

Hey I am new here, but am very glad to see someone creating this mod. So keep up the good work.
    If I might make some suggestions about names of unit, save us having veteran marauders. Call the base level thugs, as they were in the old days (Warhammer Armies 1989), then marauders.
    Like wise, I am sure I don't need to say, Warriors and Chosen.

Also If I may make a suggestion about the Daemons, and raise a point about the inclusion of Greater Daemons. As a large stack of Greater Deamons is undesirable and debabtebly out of character, would it be better to tie them to guilds, meaning only one city could produce Greater Daemons, and at a relatively slow rate. It would also have the advantage of allowing the other armies access to their Daemonic allies, ie. Dark elves and Slaanesh.

Sorry if this should of been posted somewhere else.

I do not think there is a really good way to implement greater demons. They are not 'units' ... more individuals, and that doesn't sit well with the M2TW game engine. Not 100% set in stone ...but I don;t think the greater Chaos powers will be on the battlefield.

Expect all the lower orders of demonkind... and the human / sort-of-used-to-be-human ones too