Thread: Carthage - City of Dreams

Default Carthage - City of Dreams

Greeting's all,

I began writing this AAR a while ago on the RTR forums, and will be continuing it. However, since I visit this site a whole lot now (although only just started posting), I will add it here too. I hope you enjoy it!

It will not be about one character in particular, but will focus on the city of Carthage and the Punic society as a whole. Historical details are pretty sketchy but I have researched them in the past and am continuing my research now. I hope to provide an at least partially historical representation of them.

Version

Rome Total Realism Platinum 1.7
    RTR Ancient Empires

Faction

Carthage

Why Carthage? Well, I have always been intruiged by them since as a small child I heard of Hannibal and his great adventure into Italy. Since then, the Punic Wars have been of great interest to me, superseded only by the rise of Macedonia.

Objectives

To write a good story.

House Rules

1) No more than two units of Sacred Band Cavalry in an any army.
    2) No more than two units of Sacred Band Infantry in any army.
    3) No more than four units of Punic Citizen Infantry in any army.
    4) Carthage must be held at all costs, even at the sacrifice of overseas gains.
    5) The empire must not act 'Roman'. With the exception of Iberia and the Barcids, Carthaginian foreign policy was one of extending influence, not mass conquest. They fought in Sicily yes, but how long did it take them to subdue the island? Glory was not the main objective like in Rome, wealth was far more important.
    6) Wealth must be a primary objective.
    7) A character must act as his attributes say. Unless it impedes the story that is.

Andy

Prologue

The horse drawn cart creaked along the stone road, dust blowing into the eyes of the driver. A humming sound grew stronger to the north, and as the vehicle reached the crest of a hill he lifted his hood to stare down at the great sight he beheld. Like a shining jewel, the city stood out filling the horizon.

Two hundred thousand people were going about their lives, the shouts of shopkeepers and the gentle laughter of far away conversations reaching the travellers ears on the wind. Exotic smells came forth, exciting the taste buds in his mouth. As the horses grew restless, he snapped the reigns and the cart started down the hill. The large stone walls of the city grew closer, their majesty increasing with the size, and guards upon the towers came into view. The great gates of the city were open, and as the driver passed through them he was taken aback by the views that his eyes took in. Thousands of citizens milled about the streets, bartering, arguing and talking, filling the streets with a great chorus of noise.

Above the small houses and shops of the commoners, tremendous buildings rose from the centre. The greatest of these was the awesome temple of the city's god, Baal. Its great pillars rose high above the many mansions surrounding it, and a magnificent tower reached into the sky. Smoke rose from a thousand places, covering the titanic metropolis with a yellow haze, though the denizens no longer noticed it.

As the cart entered the main street, the hall of the Assembly of Hundred and Four came into view and the traveller smiled. His thoughts strayed to the contents of the cart, and he turned it towards the meeting place of the cities authorities.

The city was great. The city was Carthage.

Default Re: Carthage - City of Dreams

Hasdrubal strolled through the main plaza in no great rush, taking in the sights and sounds of the theatrics and stalls going on around him. He stopped to gaze at a wine merchants wife who smiled at him, while her husband could only stand there furiously, wary of the hulking guards.
    "A glass of wine if I may." The aristocrat winked at the woman who giggled and poured him a glass. Never taking his eyes off her, Hasdrubal slowly emptied the contents down his throat and tossed a coin at the husband.
    "A good quality. I will take two barrels. Abdeshmun!"
    A middle aged, balding man appeared as if from nowhere bowing stiffly. "Yes?"
    The senator sighed, "Yes 'lord'. Or yes 'master'. You choose, just please, use one of them at least once in your life." He chuckled as the slave grinned at him. "Ok old man, have it your way. Sort out payment and delivery for this fine wine. Add a little extra to what they say, his wife is enchanting!" Abdeshmun bowed his head, still smiling widely.
    Clearing his throat the stall owner replied frostily, "A kind sentiment master, but it's not necessary."
    "But I insist. Take the money and treat this, " he took the wifes hand and kissed it lightly, "beautiful creature to a fine meal tonight."
    Turning away, he continued his stroll towards the Council Hall, thinking of the merits of good women and great wine, leaving a blushing woman ignoring the rants of her husband.

Hasdrubal gestured at a nearby senator as he stood outside the hall. A tall, thin looking man with a nervous twitch in his eye stalked over.
    "Milkherem my friend, it has been too long. How did the Iberian silver mines treat you?"
    The senators eye twitched involuntarily as he croaked a reply, causing Hasdrubal to have to look away while he listened.
    "Carthago Nova's production is slow, but we are getting good trade from the Iberian tribes. Our military presence there is practically non existant, and we rely solely on the good will of the surrounding inhabitants."
    Laughing, the younger man replied. "They have good will? Baal's throne, they are more often drunk and violent! They leave us alone because they are at each other's throats too often to attack us! Plus, where is better wine made than in Africa?"
    Milkherem's eye twitched again as he continued, leaning in closer this time and lowering his tone.
    "I bring good tiding's from Gades Hasdrubal. Very good news indeed."
    This perked the senators interest, as the only news the old crow found to be good was financial gain. He listened intently, ignoring the rancid breath emanating from the yellow toothed mouth.
    "Gold has been found near Gades. A large vein of it. Not many know yet, I'm keeping a tight lid on it. My people are in the process of buying the tin mines already there at a low price."
    "Excellent news my old friend. That is truly magnificent. An asset like that in the hands of the Hanno faction would be useful indeed."
    Smiling, Milkherem stood up straight speaking at a normal tone again.
    "Come now, what news of your father? How goes the campaign in Sicily? Has progress been made?"
    Hasdrubal shrugged slightly. "None as yet, my father still waits in Lilybaum for reinforcements. The island is dry of mercenaries, and there are too few loyal people to join. Only so many have been enticed by coin. He has written to me, requiring that I persuade the Senate to send more men."
    "That will not sit well with the democratic faction. They think that Hanno already has far too much influence in the council. I have spoken to the Suffettes and they too are wary of him."
    Swiping at an irritating fly, Hasrubal nodded quickly. "Aye, it is as you say. Still, I must try. His spies have reported that Syracuse is marching against Messene, and Agrigento is still defying us. The balance of power could shift against us quickly."
    "It would not displease some if your father was disgraced. Still, we shall do what we can."
    Some of the senators began drifting towards the Council Hall steps, and Hasdrubal drew in a long breath, releasing it loudly. "Time to begin my friend. Let us see what is happening in the wider world."

A fire crackled merrily away as Hanno and his general's stood around a table with a map of Sicily on it in deep discussion. He was the Carthaginian General, a position more powerful even than the two Suffettes, for he was absolute commander of all the armies and navies throughout the Carthaginian Empire. However, recent setbacks in his campaign on the great island of Sicily had eroded his support in the Council, and now yet another crises was unfolding before him.
    "What sort of force does the city of Messene have?" As he spoke, Hanno rubbed his temples, his eyes closed and his head throbbing.
    Theages, his grandson replied quickly. "They have a pretty standard army, Hoplites, little cavalry and a contingent of Rhodians. Mercenary Gauls also hide behind the walls. Syracuse should have no trouble sacking the city and bringing it under its influence."
    "And Agrigento still refuses to treat with us?"
    Heads around the tables nodded before Kanmi, a cavalry commander and astute diplomat spoke. "The last diplomatic party we sent was turned away at the doors to the council room. It is very clear now that they are swinging towards Syracuse."
    Hanno crashed his fist down on the table, spilling his cup of water and he watched it dribble down onto the floor as he spoke wearily.
    "It is as we feared then. We simply do not have time to wait for reinforcements from Carthage. If we do then Syracuse may well have united three quarters of the island against us by the time they arrive. We must take Agrigento before Messene falls!"
    "But sir, the forces at our disposal are of the same size and quality as the Greeks. If we lose at the city, Lilybaum itself will be at risk. If we are driven from the island your life is forfeit."
    Closing his eyes, Hanno sat down. His generals looked at one another until Theages spoke again.
    "Agrigento will fail to stop us. They have not even walls to hide behind, and they fear our Elephants. And who on this island can defeat the mighty Hanno in battle?"
    The General smiled at this and opened his eyes.
    "Well said Theages. We shall defeat Agrigento and bring them to their knees. After that, we shall see how Syracuse responds. I will not leave Sicily a failure. This insignificant town shall not be the last chapter of my life!"

Hasdrubal stood and walked over to the seats of the Suffettes, handing the letter that Hanno had written him to their secretary. He returned to his seat on the front row and sat next to Milkherem and another Hanno faction member, Tabnit. The Hanno faction was filled with rich aristocrats who were in favour of continued pressure on Syracuse in Sicily, and expansion of the Punic mining in Iberia. Opposed to them however were members of both the Democratic faction and those more inclined to peace. War brought only drain to the coffers of Carthage, and not one citizen of the city enjoyed that. 'Fight until the coin is gone, then make peace' was the rule that guided overseas conquests and wars.

Philosir, one of the Suffettes rose to address the Senate, smoothing his purple and gold clothing. Clearing his throat to gain attention, he waited until the hum of conversation had stopped and he held silence.
    "Our great General Hanno, leader of the armies of Carthage, admiral of the fleets of Carthage, former Suffette and conqueror of much of Sicily has written to inform this noble body of his wish for reinforcements. His desire is to take the city of Agrigento, and force Syracuse to halt their expanding ways on the island. The floor is open to discussion."
    He sat down again, looking at his fellow Suffette with a resigned expression. Both knew that this could take hours to decide.

A large sweaty figure stood, helped up by those surrounding him and caught Philosir's eye. "The floor recognises Yutpan."
    Red faced and taking shallow breaths, Yutpan dabbed at his face with a cloth.
    "My fellow senators." he began. "May I first congratulate the General for his many great victories over the Greeks on the island of Sicily. His triumphs have brought lasting security and prosperity to our beautiful city."
    He paused as a polite applause echoed around the senate hall. Hasdrubal looked up with a venemous expression, but the fat senator continued, looking faintly amused.
    "The army he commands in Sicily is of great skill and size. It has never struggled to gain victories before, and has convinced many towns to accept our generous leadership." A chuckle ran around the room at this last comment, and he carried on.
    "I think the General is underestimating not only his own abilities in command, but his army's skill too. Already we have paid for many thousands of mercenaries to fight on that island, and we have gained ground. Still, do we really need to conquer all of it? Trade is just as important as land, and if we raise yet more men to send it will only cost us more money for little effect in return. I propose a congratulatory reply to the glorious Hanno, but with a polite decline of his request." He sat down heavily, dabbing at his sweating face again while those around him complimented his speech. Several senators stood, and the floor was given to Tabnit to respond. He was young and handsome, and rumours were abounding about a possible scandal between him and Philosir.
    "My noble Yutpan, a fine speech there, with many interesting points raised." Yutpan inclined his head, and Tabnit continued.
    "A fine speech, but I must disagree with the conclusions you have come to. Syracuse is on the rise once again, and its influence grows dangerously large. There have been rumours of communication between its king, and Pyrrhus of Epirus who landed not long ago in southern Italy. If they are not thwarted now, Carthage faces a possible combined attack and could be driven from the island. What effect would that have, do you think, on the city treasury?"
    Yutpan yawned and looked away, a bored expression on his face. Slightly irritated, the young senator continued.
    "My noble senators, we must respond quickly to Hanno's request and raise a new mercenary army to reinforce his position in Lilybaum, and strike at Agrigento."
    He sat down and mutterings broke out, the volume of noise increasing as arguments began. The Suffettes banged their staffs on the floor for silence.
    "Does anyone else wish to speak?"
    No-one else stood, since both major factions had already been spoken for. Philosir looked around for several more seconds before nodding.
    "Very well, we shall take a vote. Those in favour of raising another mercenary army stand now."
    Hasdrubal stood and looked around, cursing to himself quietly. Less than a third had supported the motion. Sitting down, he looked angrily at the floor as a majority stood opposed, and the motion was defeated.

Hanno stood with his Sacred Band bodyguard, surveying the town in front of him. "Fools," he thought to himself, "They do not stand a chance being lead like that."
    The Greek hoplites had been split into two forces defending different entrances, leaving themselves perilously isolated from each other. Already his Balearic slingers were bombarding a unit with their sling stones. Pained cries could be heard as rocks cracked bone and penetrated flesh. Under this long onslaught, the Greeks began advancing towards the Carthaginian lines. Waiting for them were Liby-Phonecian spearmen, arrayed in phalanxes. To his surprise, Hanno watched as the second force of Hoplites began marching across the field, passing his Caetrati cavalry.

Theages watched, as surprised as his grandfather. "They are fools! They play right into our hands!" he said incredulously.
    "We must teach them proper tactics of warfare. Sound the charge." Hanno watch satisfied as the cavalry crashed into the flanks of the phalanx, causing panic in the Greek formations. As the cavalry withdrew, Liby-Phonecian spearmen attacked them head on, and the Hoplites quickly turned and ran.

It was not long before the defenders were in flight, flooding into the streets of Agrigento with the spearmen hot on their tails. "Shall we send the elephants in yet sir?" asked Kanmi, eager to see the havoc caused by the behemoths.
    "No, it is too early yet. We don't want the beasts spooked and running into our own lines."
    The cavalry commander could not hide his disappointment, but nodded and turned back to the battle.
    "Take the cavalry over to the far right Kanmi. Attack on my signal."
    As he rode off, Hanno went over the strategy in his head once again. He had to take the city, his life depended on it.

"Come men! Follow me!"
    Akbar led his unit of spearmen through the streets, halting at the town square. He knew that the orders he was following would cause the deaths of some of his men, but they were here to die for Carthage, and he ignored the spike of regret running through him. The focus of the veteran hoplites and peltastai were on him and his units, and they advances towards his lines, missiles flying overhead, thudding into those around him. The first volley no-one fell, and a small glimmer of hope raised in his heart. At the second volley however, a pained cry rang out and his face was grim as he ordered the lines to hold their ground.

Silently the second contingent of spearmen raced around the street corner, totally unnoticed by the last defending Greeks. Issuing a warcry at the last second, they charged into the Hoplites.

Agapias lost any hope of victory as the Carthaginians crashed into his phalanx. His men had turned in time to stop a slaughter, but the rest of the spearmen were coming from the opposite direction. He only hoped his peltastai could gain a miraculous victory and drive them off. A distant thundering growing rapidly louder caused him to cry out in hopeless frustration.

Kanmi laughed out loud as he saw the trap sprung successfully. His horsemen hammered into the phalanx hacking away, but somehow the Greeks held formation and began cutting men down. In the confusion a unit of Liby-Phonecians lost heart and fled from the enemy. The cavalry commander called the retreat, and the horsemen withdrew from the battle. He sent a rider back to Hanno asking for reinforcements.

Agapias fought with the strength of desperation, slicing at anything that came in range. Soon there was a space around him as the enemy hesitated in attacking him, and his own soldiers feared being attacked in his frenzy.

Hanno listened to the reports, growing angry. The Greeks had held against his trap and were even regaining ground. "How could those broken bastards do that?" he thought furiously.
    "Theages, send in the elephants. Tell the riders to hit from the west."
    Saluting, Theages rode off. Watching as dust rose from the centre of the settlement Hanno smiled to himself. "Lets see Agapias hold against this."

The destruction was total. Panic had flooded through the Greek lines before the elephants even hit. Distracted, Agapias had fallen, pierced by a spear. The great beasts had gored and trampled their way through the line. The battle was over in minutes.

Hanno Smiled.

Lightening lit up the sky as rain pounded the sodden troops guarding the broken city of Agrigento, the torches around them sizzling as water hit them. As the thunder rolled outside, Hanno sat with the letter from the senate on his lap. His generals stood before him stiffly, uneasy as to what the General's silence meant, hoping that he would soon dismiss them
    "They congratulate me, and ask me to be reminded of my commanding skills and my army's fighting prowess. Syracuse will surely fold the moment I send them a copy of this letter." Hanno looked up with a twinkle in his eye, and the men around him chuckled, the tension vanishing from the room. The old Carthaginian aristocrat stood, his age showing through the firelight, and he sighed deeply.
    "I should have expected this really. Those fat old fools in the senate would rather see me lose a battle than win all of Sicily. Still, the crisis has passed for now and Syracuse should now feel the pressure. The last report my spies sent me showed that the Messenians were putting up a surprisingly good fight. If the battle goes ill for the Greeks, we will be left with two weakened opponents on the island. Then Carthage shall see a glorious victory, and the last chapter of my life will be a great one."

Iberia. A land of great wealth where the local tribes ate from silver bowls such was the abundance of the metal. A land of fierce warriors and tribes who fought viciously without mercy, drinking from the skulls of those they killed...
    Theophanes grunted while reading the poetic report his advisors had writted to be sent back to Carthage. He was governer of Carthago Nova, a speck of civilization in a land of barbarity, or so the Phoenicians liked to think.
    "Do you not think it a little..." He fumbled for words.
    "Poetic?" asked the writer brightly. A Greek name Thesslya from Emporion, he was renowned for his feminine manner.
    "No, optimistic is a better word I think. You've painted a picture of a barbaric people being conquered and civilized by mighty and brave Carthaginians."
    "Well that is what the people wish to hear isn't it?" Thessyla responded.
    Theophanes raised his eyebrows at this answer, and he thought quickly. It was true that the senate in Carthage had long been clamouring for great news from this expensive expansion into hostile lands, and there were many growing impatient with the governer.
    "I suppose you are right. Still, couldn't you tone down the flowery language just a little bit." Theophanes smiled slightly at the writers aghast expression.
    "You would stifle the words of the gods themselves!" the Greek cried, "But I shall do as you ask, though it pains me!"
    Theophanes nodded his thanks, chuckling as Thessyla strode off, his nose in the air. The governer stood up and walked over to his balcony, breathing deeply as he stepped outside. Noise clamoured from the city below as workers hurried to raise new buildings to display the glory and boast the wealth of Carthage. It would be a grand sight when finished, though at the moment it looked more like a fishing village. He turned as a knock came from his door and a slave entered, bowing.
    "Yes? What is it?"
    Bowing lower, the slave answered solemnly, "Master, the delegation from the Lusone tribe has arrived."
    Waving the guard away, Theophanes straightened his shirt and stood to the side of his desk, smiling as a group of three men entered. Two were clearly guards, dressed in cloth and brown leather, but the third man had an educated look about him. Small and greying, he was dressed in a garb of grey and white, with gold circlets on his wrists which jangled as he bowed slightly.
    "Greetings noble Theophanes. We are honoured to make your acquaintance. I am Tomas of the Lusone tribe, second advisor to the king." The man spoke softly, but with great authority. His Punic language skills were great, with only a slight accent. Theophanes was glad that an interpreter would not be needed.
    "Greetings Tomas, it is my pleasure to have you here. Shall we be seated?" As he said this, he gestured to the luxurious chairs to the right of them and they both sat down, the two guards staying where they were.
    The Carthaginian poured wine as he began, "Has the king heard our proposal of trade and friendship? I trust he found them to be mutually beneficial and pleasing."
    Tomas smiled as he took a sip of his drink. "An excellent flavour governer. I must commend your people on their grape skills." He took his time, taking another gulp. "I am pleased to announce that the king as accepted the hand of friendship extended towards him. He looks forward to building on the relationship between our two great nations."
    "A toast then to our success in the future."
    Both men drank and settled down into smaller conversation.

The soldiers cheered as Hanno stood to address them, interpreters at his side ready to deliver his speech to the soldiers from different nations. Theages and Kanmi flanked him, their polished armour shining brightly in the glowing sun. As silence settled, the General began.
    "Men, I trust you have all enjoyed your stay with the Greeks!" A wide grin broke out from his face as wild cheering and lewd comments were heard from the gathered warriors. He waited for his interpreters to finish before continuing.
    "I come to you with even better news. Our great enemy to the east, Syracuse, has suffered a crushing defeat at Messene!" Hanno pausd for effect. "They were sent flying by a band of old women and small children!"
    Laughter and more cheering erupted from his army and the Iberians thumped their shields on the floor in delight. Many had been dreading the result of the siege of Messene, knowing that a larger scale war with the Greeks would be the result if it had fallen. The release of tension had them all feeling light and happy. Hanno started again, the noise disappearing.
    "Messene stands open to us. Its pathetic military was severely damaged while fighting off lesser men than us. I have sent word to Carthage. We march on Messene!"
    Hanno stepped down, speaking into Theages ear as he strode away.
    "Get the men ready. We leave tonight."
    The army of Carthage marched out of Agrigento heading to the north. Where Syracuse had failed, they were sure to succeed.

The senators gathered again to discuss the recent events in Sicily. Hasdrubal walked in with a cheerful expression on his face, greatly pleased with the Syracusan defeat in Messene. Rumours were spreading that their army had taken so many casualties that they would struggle to man the walls of their own city, let alone attack Punic holdings. He walked past a smug looking Yutpan who was surrounded by a group of his supporters, all talking animatedly. Wondering what the fat aristocrat had to be happy about, Hasdrubal continued over to a group of his own faction supporters who were speaking in hushed tone. Tabnit greeted him grimly, speaking quietly and quickly.
    "Yutpan has gotten to Philosir. The suffette was seen coming from his estate last night."
    Hasdrubal froze. With a suffette aligned with him, Yutpan would be a serious danger to any plans his father or faction may have. Looking around quickly he replied, "And what of Alquat, has he been influenced also?"
    "You know him, he follows whatever Philosir says. This puts Hanno at serious risk. If he puts one foot wrong the senate will have him brought home for execution."
    Cursing, Hasdrubal tried to think of a way around this unexpected dilemma. Influential though he was, he could not go against both suffettes and hope to win. "We must tread carefully this session, and see how far this corruption has spread." He headed to his bench, glancing over at Yutpan who nodded at him, still smirking.
    Philosir stood and addressed the assembled aristocrats. "The senate is in session. We discuss today what must be done in Sicily since recent events have changed the face of the campaign. Are there any motions to be discussed?" He spoke this last part whilst looking at Yutpan, who elbowed his neighbour. Eshmunazar stood, waiting until the suffette had recognised him before speaking.
    "Noble senators of Carthage, we have been truly blessed by Baal for his routing of the Syracusans. Surely this city is beloved of him and the gods." Hasdrubal sat fidgeting, wary of what would be said next.
    "We recieved word this past week that Hanno marches on Messene. If he takes the city, Syracuse stands alone, and he will undoubtedly wish to lay siege to it." He waited as murmuring started, and the suffettes struck the floor with their staffs for silence.
    "However, we must ask ourselves what profit we would gain from attacking the formidable walls of that city. Weakened though their army is, their navy is still untouched, and it could take many years for it to fall. During that time, our attention and resources would be diverted from other important projects for a potentially disasterous expedition." He ignored the discontented mutterings from the Hanno faction and continued quickly. "Therefore I propose that we send emissaries of peace to Syracuse, and order our glorious general Hanno to halt any campaigns he plans against them."
    Hasdrubal stood up and cut Eshmunazar off angrily. "Senator! This motion is an outrage! This is our chance to finally bring that island under our heel and you would..."
    "You have not been recognised Hasdrubal." He was cut off by Philosir's voice.
    "Then recognise me! This response must be heard!"
    The suffette stood, banging his staff on the floor hard. "Be seated senator. Or shall I have you escorted from this hall? The motion shall be voted on now!"
    In a fury, Hasdrubal sat down. Not allowing any debate on the motion was an unheard of occurrence, and it was confirmation of their fears that the office of suffette had been bought by the coin. The proposal was carried by an overwhelming majority, and Yutpan strolled out of the hall triumphant, his fawning supporters around him. Philosir refused to meet Hasdrubal's eyes as he strode past.

The Italian horsemen crashed into the waiting lines of Liby-Phonecian spearmen, yelling warcries and hacking at the front line. It was suicide, Hanno knew it, but he admired their bravery. The city didn't stand a chance and the defenders were only too aware of that fact.

A group of Hoplitai emerged from Messene, followed by peltastai, but his army was in no danger. The enemy was vastly outnumbered, and Kanmi swung his cavalry around the back of the advancing troops, waiting for them to become embroiled with the lines of spearmen before charging and scattering them.

"It is futile. Why waste their lives like this?" Theages looked on in disbelief as yet another group of defenders was easily overwhelmed. "They should just surrender the city to us. There is no gain from this pointless slaughter."
    Hanno looked at him before answering. "If there's one thing I've learned in my time at war grandson, it's that men will fight fiercely to protect their freedom. Even when it seems hopeless, many prefer to die defending that freedom than bow to the ones that take it away."
    Both men watched the carnage before the General eventually ordered the spearmen into the city. The last of the Hoplitai fought a running battle in the streets, desperately trying to keep the Carthaginians at bay but to no avail. The last of the defenders died under a shower of javelins launched by Iberian Scutarii.

Hanno whispered his thanks to the gods as the battle drew to a close. He ordered the rest of his force into the city when a messenger rode up to him.
    "News from the city my lord." The scout handed over the letter.
    "Good I hope. I certainly have good news for them." Opening the letter, he read it quickly. Lifting his head, he looked into the horizon, his expression dark.

The city was abuzz with people crying the news everywhere. Senators stood in huddled circles on the streets whispering furiously whilst Philosir worried in his estate, pacing the floor up and down. The news had reached him that morning.

Hanno was returning.

More please. I can't wait for Hanno's return.
    I send you greetings. Need I say more? You are remembered.

City of Dreams - Chapter Three

Hasdrubal strode grimly through the dark streets of the city, his guards having to go at a fast pace to keep up. Since the day he'd found out that Hanno was returning to Carthage, his son had been trying to think of a way around Yutpans dominance in the senate. Philosir had been approached twice, but was still firmly against them. The suffette's term of office would soon be up, but there was still enough time for him to deal out a great amount of damage to Hanno and his family. Hasdrubal spat out into the night, worrying about his father's return. Hanno had never been a great politician; only his great victory against Numidia had catapulted him into the powerful position of General. If the old man refused to back down against his enemies, he could end up dead.

They had arrived at their destination. The house loomed large in the darkness, its gates firmly shut against them. Hasdrubal took a deep breath, and called out in a loud voice.
    "Alquat! Open the gates or I shall have them torn down!"
    There was a sudden commotion from inside one of the windows, and a head soon appeared, its face contorted in fury.
    "Who dares awaken a suffette of Carthage at this hour? Speak quickly!"
    "Hasdrubal. Do you wish to threaten me?"
    Alquat fumbled for words, at a loss of what to do. Finally he managed to get a question out.
    "What...why are you here?"
    "Give me entrance and I shall tell you. Or deny me and see what happens when you defy Hanno's representative in the senate."
    Nodding quickly, the suffette snapped out orders to the guards of the house, who hurriedly opened the gates. Hasdrubal strode into the house, glaring at the servants who stood there gawking at the man who ordered their master around.

Alquat stood in the room looking dishevelled and worried. Hasdrubal knew that he could use the politicians discomfort to his own advantage, and took his cloak off revealing his sword. He smiled as the suffettes eyes darted down towards it, and began speaking.
    "May I have a drink?" he asked, his tone kind.
    Looking suspicious, Alquat had a servant pour him a glass of wine, having one himself which he drank slightly too quickly. Spluttering a little, he stammered out, "Now...why are you here at this time of the day?"
    Hasdrubal smiled and held his arms out. "Alquat. Why so nervous my friend?."
    He took hold of the mans shoulders and held them tightly. "We are of course, all friends here aren't we?"
    Smiling nervously, Alquat nodded saying, "Yes. Of course. Friends."
    "Good, I'd hate to be an enemy to you. Now, I shall tell you why I'm here. I have a slight problem in that your fellow suffette has prostituted himself to Yutpan, that devious pig."
    "That's none of my business!" Alquat tried to turn away but Hasdrubal dug into his shoulders painfully, causing him to cry out. Hasdrubal leaned in close, and spoke quietly, staring into the mans eyes.
    "I haven't finished speaking yet. Be seated."
    He pushed Alquat down onto a chair and pointed accusingly at him, his tone harsh.
    "You were given a seat of power that would be the envy of any in the known world. You are a suffette of Carthage! Yet you have sat cowering in the shadow of a small man, refusing to use the power given to you! You are nothing but a fool!"
    Alquat went red in the face and stood up angrily. "Yes, I am a suffette, and you cannot speak to me this way senator!"
    "Sit down." Hasdrubals voise was dangerously quiet.
    "No! Begone or I shall have my guards throw you out!"
    "Sit down!" Hasdrubal roared out the command, making the suffette stumble and fall into the chair, his guards racing into the room, blades drawn.
    "No! Wait!" Alquat stopped them. Panting, he turned to Hasdrubal, almost in tears. "What would you have me do? They'd kill me if I stood opposed to them."
    This was the chance Hasdrubal had been waiting for. He knew the only way to guarentee Hanno's safety and his own influence was to stalemate Yutpan and his pawns, and Alquat was the door to that.
    "Join us Alquat. Support Hanno in the senate and you would have powerful friends to protect you from harm. Besides, those peace loving whores would never dare go against a suffette of Carthage. It would be so...violent for them. We on the other hand..." He stared straight into the aristocrats eyes, making sure he got the message. Nodding slowly, he turned and walked out, leaving Alquat staring after him deep in thought.

Hanno stood on the deck of the ship, staring into the horizon, and imagining seeing Carthage again. Gods, how many years had it been? He hoped that the city was the same one he had loved as a younger man, and that it hadn't been ruined by fools in the senate who knew nothing of the world beyond its great walls. His thoughts strayed again to the orders he had been given. Peace and friendship with Syracuse! Just the thought of it sent his mood thundering into darkness. How many loyal soldiers had died at the hands of those Greeks, just to be betrayed by the very people they fought for! Hanno hammered is fist on the railing. He would not betray his fallen mens memory. He would have his way.

The ship drew closer to Carthage.

"Brother!"
    Hasdrubal turned, a smile spreading across his face as two men raced towards him in the senate hall. He laughed as the first embraced him, and he kissed him on both cheeks.
    "Bomilkar! Burrhus! I didn't know you were back!"
    "Aye, we had sent letters warning of our arrival but pirates sunk the ship they were on." Burrhus said it with a matter of fact tone which was typical of him. Second eldest of Hanno's sons, he was renowned for being a shrewd business man who was so rich he cared nothing for losses here and there.
    "How was your stay in Numidia? I hope our allies were courteous."
    Bomilkar, his youngest brother spoke up. He had only recently become a man, and this had been his first diplomatic journey. His face was alight with excitement. "They were polite to us. Their king continues to try and unify the tribes in the desert and sends his warmest greetings to Carthage, and our father personally."
    Nodding thoughtfully, Hasdrubal addressed them both quietly. "I assume you have heard of Yutpan's coup against us last season?"
    Narrowing his eyes, Burrhus looked over at the sweating figure nodding slowly. "We were...surprised at best brother. We struggled to believe that he has grown this powerful. Even our father may struggle against the influence that fat bastard wields."
    "Perhaps. I played our final piece last night, though I know not if it worked."
    The noise of conversation quietened as Philosir and Alquat strutted into the room, taking their seats in front of the benches of the senate hall. Alquat kept his eyes on the floor, nobody in the room able to catch his eye. Hasdrubal stared at him intently wondering whether their conversation the previous night had affected him. Once again, Philosir stood and opened the session.
    "This senate is in session. This body has come together to discuss the General's coming return to Carthage, and what we shall expect of him."
    Murmurs went around the hall at the vaguely worded speech. Tensions rose as it was realised that by the end of the session, Hanno could be returning to hostility and trouble instead of welcome. Unsurprisingly, the large bulk of Yutpan was the first to rise, coughing loudly as he stood. Milkherem rolled as eyes as the senator began speaking in a loud voice.
    "Noble senators of Carthage! This Hanno that we elected General is using one of the oldest tricks in the book!" Yutpan ignored the jeers that had already begun. "He sent no word to us of his arrival! We had to rely on our own informers and word from the rabble in the streets! We must ask ourselves why! Why has he attempted to surprise us? I shall tell you!" He was interrupted by the suffettes who were angrily striking the floor with their staffs. One suddenly rose and shouted out, "Silence! You pack of dogs well keep silence when we tell you!" Hush suddenly hit the senate hall, as they realised it was not Philosir who had commanded them. Alquat stood and looked at them all sternly. Even Yutpan stood with his mouth slightly open, though he covered his surprise swiftly.
    "Thank you noble suffette. My fellow brothers sometimes forget that we are a people of culture and civility." Many turned to him with poisonous looks, and the sweat on his brow increased.
    "Now, I shall tell you why Hanno is acting as he is. He wishes to intimidate us into bowing into his demands! He wants to have his own way, and places his wisdom above our own!"
    Applause rippled around the room, accompanied by angry shouts and snorts of disgust. Many senators stood, but Philosir waved them down as Yutpan indicated he had not finished.
    "Therefore, I motion that Hanno be arrested at the docks by a company of Sacred Band, and accompanied straight to the senate hall to answer to this body!"
    An eruption of noise filled the room, drowning out even the sound of the staffs, and Philosir had sto stand atop his seat and shout out for order before there was some semblance of calm. "Senators! A motion has been called! Let us take it now."
    He was interrupted by movement at his side, and stood stunned as Alquat spoke, his voice echoing around the hall. The man had an aura of authority about him that he had never before possessed, and the expression he wore commanded silence. Yutpan sat down, as did every other senator to listen intently. "Yutpan. You motion has been defeated. I raise my veto against it and there shall be no more talk of bringing charges against Hanno. He has led our forces gloriously in Sicily. The least we can do is listen to what he has to say. And more than that, I myself bring a motion to turn the city out to welcome him in triumph. He deserves nothing less. Who stands against me?" At this he turned to look at Philosir who opened his mouth and shut it again quickly. The two men stared at each other for what seemed an eternity until Philosir slowly lowered his eyes and his head. Nodding to himself, Alquat looked up at the senate.
    "All those in favour of this motion, stand." Humiliated, only Yutpan and a handful of others did voted against the motion, the fat aristocrats face contorted in fury.

The warning bell startled Theages out of his sleep, and he stumbled out of his bedroom grabbing hold of a guard. "What is it? What's happening?"
    "Greeks my lord. They have amassed an army outside the walls."
    Theages stared at him wildly. "But that's impossible! They were broken at Messene!" As he spoke, a warcry was heard from beyond the city and he turned his head in horror. Looking back at the guard while striding off he commanded him.
    "Send riders to Lilybauem now! Get word to Carthage as quickly as possible. And send messengers to Messene. Tell whoever is in command there to bring the army immediately! We must hold the city!"
    The guard saluted and ran off whilst Theages hurried to the wall, cursing loudly. The garrison in Agrigento was not strong enough to repel a determined attack.
    "How did these damn Greeks recover so quickly?"

Hanno stepped off the ship and breathed in deeply, thanking the gods silently for bringing him home safely. A group of Sacred Band stood to attention and saluted as he walked past, falling into step behind him. Hanno entered into Carthage, a wide smile on his face as he saw the many thousands of citizens who were cheering him and chanting his name. He marched straight towards the senate hall, where every senator stood outside, applauding as he ascended the steps and he embraced Hasdrubal who had stepped towards him.
    "Come son. Today is my day."

Greetings all. No images in this chapter I'm afraid since no battles took place in the actual campaign. I hope you enjoy! And thank you for the comment AntiTank

Andy

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Carthage - City of Dreams

Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Glad you approve