Thread: Hellenic reforms

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Hellenic reforms

When was the historical date for the introduction of Hysetroi pezhetahiroi and Hellenikoi Kataphractoi, for both the Seleukidai and the Baktriai?

Thanks.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Default Re: Hellenic reforms

Quote Originally Posted by Pharnakes
    When was the historical date for the introduction of Hysetroi pezhetahiroi and Hellenikoi Kataphractoi, for both the Seleukidai and the Baktriai?
    The Bactrians had "Greek" cataphracts in their army from the middle of the 3rd C. BC (as per the finds at the Ai Khanoum arsenal), but probably before that as well, considering the use of cataphract cavalry from an early date by the native Bactrians.

The Seleucids adopted cataphracts into their army c. 205 BC during Antiochus III's expedition against the east.

Unfortunately, I don't know what unit the "Husetroi Pezetairoi" are, so I can't comment on them.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Hellenic reforms

OK, thanks
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Default Re: Hellenic reforms

The Hysteroi Pezhetairoi appear sometime after Philip V's defeat against Rome and before Perseus's defeat.