Thread: New Player

Default New Player

Hi,

I installed MTWII yesterday and despite some low frame rates duing the cut scenes because my system is low end I've played through the tutorials and will be starting a grand campain tonight. I don't have the internet at home and just discovered the patch 1.2 is about 650meg in size so until I buy a larger removeable drive I don't have the means to download it and transfer it to my system. Will I encounter any issues or miss out on vastly improved graphics and gameplay by not installing the patch? Thanks!

Default Re: New Player

you will surely miss ALOT of bug fixes, therefore making gameplay better. no improved graphics.

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

You clearly miss out if you don't upgrade to 1.2, as the game is mondo better with it : lots of fixed bugs, no more inquisitor madmen killing everything left and right, "smarter" campaign AI...
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

Why do you need a larger removable drive? at 650mb it should even fit on a usb key.

But I agree that getting the patch is very painful. I am doing it right now in fact. None of the official mirrors work. I tried downloading it three times and it was always corrupted. I found the patch on bittorrent and hope its the official one not leaked.
    Last edited by MStumm; 05-26-2007 at 22:30.

Thanks for the info. I meant a USB stick and I'll pick one up this week to transfer it. I've already had to upgrade my DVD drive to install and run it but I'm sure it will be worth it. I found MTW fantastic fun but there were areas I thought could be improved on where the micro-management was concerned and I can already see its been addressed in MTWII.

In MTW I could only zoom in and out of the campagin map using the mousewheel and it seems the same on MTWII. Or is there a way of allowing me to zoom in and out using a keyboard command? This would be very useful because my computer is in the marital bedroom and the loudness of the mousewheel disturbs Mrs Shrubber when I'm burning the midnight oil (as daft as that mght sound). Also, will my saved game be affected when I install the patch? After upgrading will I have to re-start any campaign?

Many Thanks,

Jamie

Grand Duke of Zilch Member supadodo's Avatar
    I'm Asian, pick a country in Asia. Most of us look alike anyway.

You should install 1.2 over 1.0 as installing it on 1.1 causes the game to crash on startup. If you reinstall, you lose your savegames but there is a way to keep your saves. First go into your saves folder in your MTW2 directory and copy all your savegames and then paste it back once you have updated the fresh install.

If you only have 1.0, then its okay. You won't lose your savegames or will it be affected in any way other than it receiving the patch fixes.

As for the scrolling, I think it is the CTRL & +,- button.or maybe just +,- alone. I used to play RTW without a scrollable mouse so that was how I zoomed. Now I play MTW2 with a scrollable mouse so I never bothered to check the hotkeys for MTW2.
    Weird Facts I have contemplated

-Thesaurus is not a species of dinosaur.
    -Potassium is not found in potatoes.
    -Its Naples, not Nipples.
    -All roads certainly do not lead to Rome. Does your state highway link you to it?
    - Dog is God spelled backwards but praying to dogs is a bit stupid.
    - Fart is Hydrogen Sulfide with methane and oxygen and is indeed flammable.
    - Igniting a fart is painful.

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Make sure to set all your settings to lowest if you are a fellow low-end system user.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan