Thread: what are the cycles of telamon ?

Default what are the cycles of telamon ?

What are these . I see them referenced in the quotes in EB .

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Default Re: what are the cycles of telamon ?

That's been bugging me for awhile too... Cycles of Telam, Don, and what not.

My best guess is it was a type of council between Celtic leaders.

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

Actually they're dark age collections, of earlier stories. Roughly.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

Cycles are stories that are all connected, but you do not need to start with the first one chronologically when telling them. You also see them in Greek myth. The Theban cycle, for example.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

From how they sound, I'd put them somewhere in celtic Britain... but who wrote them up? That's what I would be interested in.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I *belive* those particular cycles are Irish. More generally an Epic Cycle is a mythic narrative formed of the various quasi-historical tales.

Beowulf is all that remains of a much larger Anglo-Norse cycle while the Iliad and Odyssey are all that remain of the Greek Epic Cycle. In the case of the latter it stretches from the Beggining to after the Trojan War but moist of it is lost to us, though we do know much of the narrative.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    I *belive* those particular cycles are Irish. More generally an Epic Cycle is a mythic narrative formed of the various quasi-historical tales.

Beowulf is all that remains of a much larger Anglo-Norse cycle while the Iliad and Odyssey are all that remain of the Greek Epic Cycle. In the case of the latter it stretches from the Beggining to after the Trojan War but moist of it is lost to us, though we do know much of the narrative.
    What about the Ring of the Nibelungs?(sp?) Thats slightly connected to Beowulf isn't it?
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

^Is it wrong I thought you said lord of the rings there for a second?

Oh, and on a similar note, who is Telam duaNam?? Looking at EB and how much they quote him, you'd think this guy was more famous than Caesar!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Celt
    What about the Ring of the Nibelungs?(sp?) Thats slightly connected to Beowulf isn't it?
    Sorry, yes they are part of the same cycle and they are also, at some point connected to the Icelandic Sagas. Beowulf is all that remains in the English tradition though, and it has recieved a Christian gloss.

Post Re: what are the cycles of telamon ?

/\Thats what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by russia almighty
    ^Is it wrong I thought you said lord of the rings there for a second?
    Nope. The Ring of The Nibelungs are what Tolkien based LOTR on mostly. They are a very old Germanic "epic" saga, and I think Germany, Denmark, Norway, Iceland and possibly Sweden have their own versions of the story. As Philipvs mentioned the Anglo-Saxons knew this story as well, but the Normans destroyed most of their culture and folk stories of which Beowulf is the lone survivor.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: what are the cycles of telamon ?

I must recommend to read the Nibelungen to everybody. Great piece of literature IMHO.

I guess that forces us to make our own modern Germanic inspired epics . Not LOTR style but ones with naked berserker's or bands of badasses going around kicking ass .

I have read a theroy that the Nibelungen are based on the events around Arminius and his battle against the Romans in the Teuteburger Forest..

Question Re: what are the cycles of telamon ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny
    I have read a theroy that the Nibelungen are based on the events around Arminius and his battle against the Romans in the Teuteburger Forest..
    Now thats interesting. Wonder if its true?

Talking Re: what are the cycles of telamon ?

haha thats pretty cool cuz it being the end of the school year my English teacher (who's obsessed w/ mythology and stuff [which i am to 8-)]) is letting us read Beowulf cuz its not long and we get out of school June 7th =D

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: what are the cycles of telamon ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny
    Yes I've read that too. Arminius is Siegfried, and the Lindwurm (uhh, the Dragon I think in English) is supposed to be the three legions on the march. Hagen von Tronje could be one of those who betrayed and killed him later. Also the thing with Kunigunde (Thusnelda) who revenged him later could be inspired from his own kidnapping of Thusnelda.

Edit: Anyone seen "The 13th Warrior"? This movie is based on a novel by Michael Chrichton, and this is based on Beowulf. And when Beowulf = Nibelungen, than... remember that the vikings in the beginning said they were harassed by a Dragon, what was later revealed as the Neanderthalians on the march...
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 05-28-2007 at 21:39.

Default Re: AW: Re: what are the cycles of telamon ?

Guys, who is Telam duaNam??

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    Yes I've read that too. Arminius is Siegfried, and the Lindwurm (uhh, the Dragon I think in English) is supposed to be the three legions on the march. Hagen von Tronje could be one of those who betrayed and killed him later. Also the thing with Kunigunde (Thusnelda) who revenged him later could be inspired from his own kidnapping of Thusnelda.

Edit: Anyone seen "The 13th Warrior"? This movie is based on a novel by Michael Chrichton, and this is based on Beowulf. And when Beowulf = Nibelungen, than... remember that the vikings in the beginning said they were harassed by a Dragon, what was later revealed as the Neanderthalians on the march...
    Beowulf is seperate and, apart from Beowulf, most of the characters can be identified with real historical persons from around the 2nd Century AD irrc. It is now thought that Geatland may be what is modern Northern Sweden and that the Geats were forced out and accross the water the Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Herenow
    Guys, who is Telam duaNam??
    I've often wondered that myself.

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg