Thread: Celtic background!

Default Celtic background!

hello guys i have one question, lately i have tried to found and finded some info about vercingetorix and dumnorix and i have to say i really admire those two, do you know any celt related box that depict the life of those two guys?i really want to learn more about them, also i can accept any sugestions for any good books related about celts too!thanks guys!!

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both." Erwin Rommel
    "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."Erwin Rommel
    "So long as one isn't carrying ones head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." Erwin Rommel

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Question Re: Celtic background!

Well I don't know about any up-to-date modern books on the Celts but you could always try Julius Caesar's "De Bello De Gallico". He was the one who defeated both Dumnorix and Vercingetorix after all. And he goes into quite abit of detail I might add.
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

Default Re: Celtic background!

yeah i have heard about that book too but i wanted a different book but thanks a lot for your sugestion my friend i really appreciate it!

"So long as one isn't carrying ones head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." Erwin Rommel

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

No problem.
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

If you can find anything written about Celtic oral history you might have some luck. Apparently a lot has survived in Irish oral history, one of which includes a battle between the Aedui and Arverni.

Dumnorix was not defeated by caesar. During the Gallic rebellion, Dumnorix, an Aidui was allied with Caesar, but the roman was aware of the rebellion and feared that dumnorix will follow. To keep an eye on him he ask him to make part of the gallic allied contingent, he refused and was killed by Caesar germanic cavalry. Vercingetorix was a much gifted general and managed to give some oraganaisation to the gallic tribal army. His defeat at Alesia showed the extend of roman siege warfare. Reading Adrian Goldsworthy Caesar, one understands that the defeat of the gauls had much to do in them not being a nation, their rivality, not being able to sustain an army on the battlefield due to poor logistics and tribal warfare cost them their freedom.

If you need info on this two Gauls the Winkipedia may help you, but I fear that not much have been writen about them. Cheers.

thanks for the info hguys i guess there it is not much info about either vercingetorix and dumnorix i really admire both for their courage, and their hunger for freedom, well i hope i can find a good book about celtic history its a shame how dumnorix was killed and how vercingetorix was defeated in alesia, i really hate to admit it but julius caesar was way too smart!

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

me too ive been always fascinated from vercingetorix expecially, someone have seen the film of 2001? ive not seen it, from the comments on the internet it seems a very bad film... with a sort of fantasy elements that completely ruin it... i have to give it a try to see myself.

I only have one book that deals specifically with Celts-

Lords of Battle (The world of the Celtic Warrior)- Written by Stephen Allen and published by Osprey. I have only seen it in Hard-cover and don't know whether soft is available.

The book tracks the history (as far as is possible) of the Celts from the rise and decline of the Halstatt culture through to Boudica's Rebellion and beyond.

Well written and concise.....but only one chapter deals specifically with Vercingetorix and Caesar's campaigns.

Cheers,

Quilts

I've seen the film. Well actually it was playing while I did something else. I think that is the only way I could have finished it. Frankly put it sucks big time.
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.