Thread: CTD problem

Default CTD problem

Help! Medieval won't start at all for me. It worked fine, but then I made a copy of one of the startpos files and was trying to work on a new campaign. Apparently I did something wrong so I did what I've always done before: I deleted the new campaign altogether, but MTW still won't start. Any suggestions?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: CTD problem

Did you change ANYTHING else at all, like faction associations in your unit_prod? Normally if it was just a startpos error that should go away if the file is removed (btw what I usually do is instead of deleting it, I just rename it to a .bak file extension, then you still have the work you did and may be able to retrieve it - nothing worse than deleting a file then working out that wasn't the one causing the problem )

At what point does it crash? Do you get the little splash screen, or as far as load screen with the load bar? I guess it's not giving you any helpful error messages, is it?
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by random_pipings
    Help! Medieval won't start at all for me. It worked fine, but then I made a copy of one of the startpos files and was trying to work on a new campaign. Apparently I did something wrong so I did what I've always done before: I deleted the new campaign altogether, but MTW still won't start. Any suggestions?
    You've certainly done something else as if you'd messed up your startpos it simply wouldn't appear in the campaign selection menu and nothing more, the starpos files are loaded in game when you select a campaign and not before. Check the unitprod and build prod files as they are read at startup when the game loads.

The little splash screen comes up, then it appears briefly on the taskbar, and then CTDs before the load screen actually comes up.

I've always been under the impression that faulty startpos files will prevent the game from starting at all, as I've had that happen and removing the startpos file solved it. In this case, I did open the unit_prod file in Notepad, and then upon seeing how complicated it was, I quickly closed it without changing anything. So I'm not sure what went wrong.