Thread: Weird message

King of Randomness Member nara shikamaru's Avatar
    Doing the fan dance with Richard the Lionheart.

Default Weird message

Ok not sure if this goes here, or the apothecary(i think), but if i goofed, sorry . Now onto the problem, its weird, after putting down MTW for a few days, I decide to fire it up, but it never loads and i get a message say something to the effect of:

Unknown unit type encountered: Column 2, row 46

Literally if you put that in the windo it appears in, thats how it looks, 125 ends up like that, but i digress. Has anyone seen this before? Where do i have to go to fix this?

I haven't done any self modding since i opened all the factions, I did ask about how to change the king/prince units, but i never tried that as i was unsure of it. I only have MTW with the medmod for it, no VI.

P.S. I finally found a cheap copy of VI, I really miss it, i played it before on my bros comp, i miss my Saxon campaign, but i am going off topic even before the thread ahs begun.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know where to hide the bodies."

Default Re: Weird message

Sounds like a CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.TXT -related problem, at least I got them when I was sloppy modding the files, but I don't have too much modding experience and it might be any of the other unit-related files I guess.

Try replacing the crusaders_unit_prod11.txt and the crusaders_build_prod13.txt in case they're corrupted or something. Or wait for a while as someone who really knows about this stuff comes along and finds a real solution.

Ok i'll admit what I'm gonna ask I should have asked before, but i never think of past the initial problem until i look at my orginal post, and any responses. Anyway I'm curious, if Caliburn is right, and its something to do with CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.TXT, then what does it mean by column 2 row 46, 125? Is this were the problem is in the file, or something else?
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know where to hide the bodies."

Have you been trying to mod any units, Urban Militia for example?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

That is definitely a unit_prod problem. Usually the column/row figures it gives will point to the actual problem, but sometimes it can point to where it first notices things are out of kilter.

In column 2 it expects to find a UNIT TYPE (CAVALRY, INFANTRY, MOUNT, SHIP or AGENT), but instead it has a value of "125" in there. Now column 3 is the UNIT COST. So it looks like the unit in ROW 46, has had its UNIT TYPE deleted, and the game is trying to read its unit cost as a type instead. Alternatively a tab may be missing from the previous entry. I would say get Gnome and repair it with that, but Gnome will not be able to open a corrupted file like this. Your best bet is to reload your default unit_prod files, and those from any mod that may be installed. This should solve the problem for you.

Good luck.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Thanks guys, and i fixed my problem, albeit probably not the best way. I looked into the unit_prod file, and was going nuts trying to figure out what the message meant, till a thought occured. I decided to install the Medmod for VI i downloaded, which i did before without realizing it only works for VI, and then re-install the medmod for regular MTW, and well the problem was fixed, I had access to all my saved games, and all. All I lost was some little changes i made to what some factions started with.

I don't know what doing what i did do, but it's fixed, and hopefully My copy of VI will be here soon.

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

you can get the gnome file editor from www.totalwar.org and that will give you the exact break down of every unit including the line numbers when I am modding I use this to find the unit causing me problems... just for future reference for you
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

Well i got a new error message, after i tried to uninstall MTW unsuccessfully. I had gotten MTW gold edition, and did what was necessary to uninstall the MTW I already had, but i get the following message even before it begins:

The log file 'C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval\Unist.isu' is not valid or the data has been corrupted. Uninstallation will not continue.

If anyone has any idea on what i should do, or look for help, that'd be greatly appreciated.

You can delete the old MTW and just install the new one. If the autorun menu for MTW Gold thinks that MTW is alread installed you can simply run the setup program directly from on the disc by accessing it directly and running the "setup.exe". This will install to the folder you specify regardless of whether it is already installed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses II
    You can delete the old MTW and just install the new one. If the autorun menu for MTW Gold thinks that MTW is alread installed you can simply run the setup program directly from on the disc by accessing it directly and running the "setup.exe". This will install to the folder you specify regardless of whether it is already installed or not.
    Ok i tried what you said, and my comp still tells me there is already a thing of MTW on it and i should get rid of it. Now I have a favor to ask, which i hope i'm not being to much of a bother, but as i am comp illiterate, could someone expand on what Cambyses II said i should do, I just wanna see if i did it the right way, or if i messed up. Also my sis says i should try a program that would erase MTW from the registry, cuz thats the only place it could be left, my next question is, is there such a program ro get rid of MTW, if so may i have a link? I tried to look myself, but couldn't find anything, and got very confused very fast lookin at all the stuff.

Well thanks guys, for any help, and sorry if i am a bother.

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

It may sound silly but have you tried running a disk clean up? this is run from your start menu and the restart your PC. If that dont work I would suggest you go into your program files and do what I did, find the Total war folder and delete the entire folder and re-run the disk cleanup in start menu. I honestly found this to work but if that fails then I would suggest getting hold of a copy of MTW and VI as a double pack which is what I now have after so much trouble with the Gold Pack. But other guys/girls on here may have some better solutions if the one i suggested above dont work

gaius
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

If it continues to say that you ahve a copy of MTW installed, then go to "My Computer", rightclick on the drive that has MTW in it, and select "Explore". In the explore page that just appeared, doubleclick setup to "force" run the installation. After this is done, you don't have to worry about VI, it will automatically find your "forced" installation and overwrite that one.

@Gauis and YLC, I tried what both of you suggested, and i still get an error window saying that it has detected a previous version of total war, and that i should get rid of it before installing Gold Edition.

Now if anyone knows of any thread here that could help, in any way, then point me towards it, I've looked at alot of the tech related threads, and have had no real help.

Weird/rant like p.s. BY THE MANY GODS OF THE TW UNIVERSE, I SHALL CONQUER THIS THING KNOWN AS AN ERROR, AND TEACH IT WHY IT IS EVIL AND MUST BE TAKEN OUT BACK SO I CAN GET IT WITH MY BOOM STICK!!!.

Okay I got a new problem, which I couldn't find anywhere else, so I'll ask here. I got a new error message from MTW Gold. This one came about after i tried to take all the XL related files out of game and then install PMTW. Well it went bad, At first i got a message about something and Livonia, but rather go thru everything on the eternal hunt, I decided to uninstall the game. Wll that didn't work, so I deleted all files pertaining to MTW Gold, and run a registry cleaner to clean it off the reistry go good. Yet I still get a message, well here it is:

An error has occured (-5005 : 0x8000ffff)
    Error Code: -5005 : 0x8000ffff
    Error Information:
    >Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
    >Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1494)
    PAPP:Medieval - Total War - Gold Edition
    PVENDOR:The Creative Assembly (http://www.totalwar.com)
    PGUID:A10F7877-4276-416C-9F22-CB56C0CB2700
    $11.50.0.42618
    @Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) BT_OTHER 2152.21

Thats the message i got, if anyone knows what I should, or could do, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks form your random king.