Thread: Limitations on use of diplomats, spies etc ??

Default Limitations on use of diplomats, spies etc ??

Hi everyone

I have recently purchased a new PC and am now playing M2TW after previously playing all other games in the series. I mainly play the game for the battles and building up cities but find keeping track of my diplomats, spies etc a bit of a nightmare.

What do you do to minimise this part of your game? In most of the games I have tended to limit myself to a maximum of 3 of each type in play at any one time.

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Default Re: Limitations on use of diplomats, spies etc ??

Uh, normally there's an "Agent" Tab in the middle of the screen (where "Agent" is written). Right-click that and you should see all your agents. You can then sort through them by type (diplomat, spy, assassin...), name, or place, IIRC.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Thanks Warmaster Horus

I am already aware of that tab but still finding scrolling through them all takes too much time as well as keeping track of what each is up to.

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Of course, I forgot to say, I limit myself a bit.
    I rarely use assassins, 1 or 2 max. If I go on a major conquest (1 grand army, for example) then I've got my best spy who makes sure the way is clear.
    As for diplomats, well, I barely use them. 2 in the beginning and at the end, when I'm sure to win, then none.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lol, you should see some of the numbers I get for my agents in my mtw games. Recently as Hungary, I had roughly 200 agents roaming around the map. 99 cardinals(one for each province), a bunch of emmisaries, a lot of spies/assassins to keep my provinces from rebelling and keeping my generals safe(and of course, for moving along a few rebellions in my enemy's provinces), and one VERY good Grand Inquisitor.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YAKOBU
    Thanks Warmaster Horus

I am already aware of that tab but still finding scrolling through them all takes too much time as well as keeping track of what each is up to.
    I feel your pain.

I always train new priests/imams in newly conquered regions from different religions instead of just moving the other guys from a nearly converted province up to the next one.

In my current Egyptian campaign I also had 4 (four!) spies standing next to each other, covering the same area. I guess it took 10 turns before I noticed it. Meanwhile I converted Trebizond castle into a city, to build a shisha bar so that I could finally train a spy, to scout the area ahead, while two turns walking away, I had those 4 lazy spies sitting next to each other, playing poker...

Not to mention those expensive assassins being utterly useless in the Constantinople region until I got a message 'worthy life ends'...

And did I mention Nasser the Holy Warrior who started to feel unappreciated because I left him standing near Zagreb for 12 years?

It happens to the best of us my friend, it happens to the best of us...
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Thanks Warmaster Horus

Try Rome Total War then... I play mostly MTW, when I switched for a while to RTW, the agents were effectively a nightmare. What suggests WarmasterHorus urges me to find a computer making M2TW playable!

Hi Caerfanan

The scroll tab is pretty much the same in RTW as M2TW. Unfortunately there are more types of chacarters to move around in M2TW. Also I don't think the tab in M2TW tells you if the character has moved whereas I think in RTW you could see movement left by the characters name.

Hi Caerfanan

The scroll tab is pretty much the same in RTW as M2TW. Unfortunately there are more types of chacarters to move around in M2TW. Also I don't think the tab in M2TW tells you if the character has moved whereas I think in RTW you could see movement left by the characters name.

Hi Yakobu!

Well, I'll carefully look what can be done with all those tabs, then. I don't recall any movements points displayed, but I have to confess that I haven't used that many agents, but way more pilum!
    Last edited by Caerfanan; 06-05-2007 at 14:09.