Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oda, for PROS

Well, I gave it a try last night. I did things a little differently due to my inherent fear of Monks and Ninja. I took Tajima on turn one with 2 SA and 1 YA. On the next turn I stormed the castle to prevent it from disappearing, then built a tea house, left the three units there to garrison and churned out Shinobi. By turn three I had 2 YS and attacked Ise. The Ronin general refused to fight and retreated to the castle. I had to garrison Ise for a year to starve out the Monks.

I kind of screwed up though. I took the single YA garrisons out of a couple of provinces and Yamashiro took Yamato without a fight. I moved single YA’s back into my undefended provinces on the next turn and Yamashiro attacked two more provinces. I decided to command the defenses, and ended up winning both by running that quick little YA from hiding place to hiding place, running out the clock. (Not exactly the most honorable way to win, eh?)

By year 1532 or 33 I attacked Yamashiro with 16 units, no YA, in light rain. By this time Ronin had a pretty good-sized army, and didn’t split his Monks off. Obviously, a frontal assault was not going to work, so I grouped my guys into a tight tight formation, with rows of archers in column in the center. I moved them around the edge of the map clockwise until I could just reach his first units with archer fire. He stayed in the trees and I had to march in formation right into the lion’s jaws. As I reached the Monks, I opened up on each one, and charged my melee troops forward around each flank. I sandwiched the whole mess and closed the trap from both sides. Ronin ended up with only four battered units starving in the castle. I still had nearly my entire force.

After that it was on to Mikawa, which retreated. Imagawa attacked me in Mino from Shinano on the next turn (with twice my number of men) and I killed the old man himself, even though I lost the battle. All his provinces went Ronin. The next step was Harima, where I slaughtered a mostly YA army of 16 units. I’m leaving the now-Ronin army alone in Mino as a shield to my north. If I don’t bother him, he won’t bother me.

I had SO much success SO early that now I’m not sure exactly what to do next. I think I’ll take Shinano, which I find very easy to defend, then sweep through the lowlands of Totomi and Saruga. I guess I’ll be at war with pretty much everybody by 1540.

So, essentially, the strategy works like a charm as long as you know how to gain the advantage on the battle map. Knowing the AI’s tendencies on the strategic map also helps a lot.

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

JB... I like to deal with Mori cuz Imagawa
    is so willing to go east, if unmolested.

Taking Harima and Tajima makes for a shorter line of defense. Awaji is marvelous for defense so I always want that, too. A pause is usually in order to bring up troops against Mori/ Takeda.

You could opt to forego the pause, hold the short defense line in the West and go for Mikawa and Echizen to build a more defensible line in the East. I tend to build a line of defense, then expand to the next line of defense. Going farther East than Mikawa you find open flanks(weak geography for defense) on your strategic map. Going west there's always a short two-province line to aim for. Not as lucrative but more defensible. If you're fortunate enough to push Takeda out fast, you put Takeda Shingen arriving in the East, where he'll give others trouble. If you reach Nagato and Iyo the West can be contained easily while you turn to face the coming horde.

Jackson... nice recovery! hehe Doncha hate it when you do something dumb? Anyway, you can also see why I want Yamashiro gone early.

Taking Tajima leaves Mori with no place to expand East but into you...chancy. Often enough, if you leave Tajima to him he'll have one or two rebellions there, tying him up for a year or more. Also, it's worth little in koku and the shinobi, that early, have no ninja to contend with save Imagawa's. But, the strategy is only a quick-start thing... it's open-ended and gives freedom to such variations as you chose.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Well, maybe I'm a pro!! I won the Oda Exp. Thanks Shai again. That was the best.
    Takeda war banner: Swift as the wind
    Silent as a forest
    Fierce as fire
    Immovable as a mountains
    EasyCo Dojo

Member Member celtiberoijontychi's Avatar

I tried this strategy in expert level and it worked pretty good

If you play with 120 men units and wait a couple of turns, u have some 900 men against the basic AI army with 60 man units. It worked with just archers and ashis.
    The attack was in winter and the AI army was splitted, as sahi said

[This message has been edited by celtiberoijontychi (edited 04-19-2001).]
    Gloria y honor al Clan Celtiberos
    Glory and Honour to Clan Celtiberos

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Easyco... you're a hard-core gamer, too! You've finished two campaigns before I've done one...

Celti... Greetings from another island dweller! hehe
    ------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

[This message has been edited by ShaiHulud (edited 04-19-2001).]
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Yep! Till 4:00 AM !!!!! Hehehe!! My wife was mad too.

EasyCo
    Takeda war banner: Swift as the wind
    Silent as a forest
    Fierce as fire
    Immovable as a mountains
    EasyCo Dojo

Default Re: Oda, for PROS

I tried this strat, but somehow it never worked out for me. Instead I destroyed Yamashiro, similar strategy, hang my SA on the hill at the end of the map, teased the archers, and one by one the WM came and got decimated. Mind you, this strategy worked with both light rain and fine day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12