Thread: Roma: dependent on others' reforms?

Default Roma: dependent on others' reforms?

What is going to happen if I want to build foreign units that are only available after foreign factional reforms, but 'accidentally' annihilate them beforehand? Namely the Brihentin that I have in mind. If I kill off the Aedui and Arverni and take all of Gaul before the Time of Soldiers, will I be able to build Brihentin, with a level 4 government, or any other type for the matter?

Also, what happens if I never ever fight a Qarthadastim quinquereme? Will the Romani still be able to build quinqueremes? Cuz right now I'm the master of the Mediterranean without ever having fought a naval battle, thanks to the numerous and very annoying pirate fleets that have wiped out all chance of me ever matching my naval mettle against other factions' navies. There are now 4 roaming around.

Also, about the Roman reforms themselves: As I understand it, after Polybian reforms kick in, or any others, all you have to do is upgrade the MIC to get access to the new troops. But what if I'm already at the highest level, Castra Armamentariumque? Do I have to demolish the whole thing and start over to 'upgrade' my MIC? And does this apply to all reforms? Because I would fancy that it would be rather hard to keep MIC levels low just so you can upgrade it once you get a reform. Probably a big misunderstanding on my part, but do enlighten me. I'm all confuzzled.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Default Re: Roma: dependent on others' reforms?

You do not need the faction in question to reform in order to recruit foreign reformed troops, unfortunately. We have no way of representing the reforms for any other faction due to hardcoded limits to number of buildings and a bug that makes it impossible to require other buildings than MIC for the unit.

Edit: I forgot the other questions.

I think you might need to aid your Carthie friends to have them build a quinquireme... I may be wrong. Anyway, what do you need them for, when you rule the seas anyway?

The highest MIC also enables you to build the highest MIC in the next reform. No need for demolishing.
    Last edited by bovi; 05-30-2007 at 17:43.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Default Re: Roma: dependent on others' reforms?

Righto, thanks for the reply! I just want to build a quinquereme, that's all. Queen of the seas and all, y'know. Just doesn't cut the same ice ruling the seas with a quadrireme.

EDIT: Goodness, I can build Neitos in Segesta, Bononia and Patavium! And this is only only in 247BC. I feel so evil now. At least I guess we can justify it by saying the Romans paid for the armour and gave them half-naked barbarians the stuff to Romanise them. Or something.
    Last edited by pezhetairoi; 06-01-2007 at 04:50.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004