Thread: Privacy Issues... Where there's smoke?

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Privacy Issues... Where there's smoke?

Okay, this story touches me on two levels. First, I've recently gotten myself addicted to the Google Earth game in the Gameroom, so in the interest of disclosure, I should admit freely that I'm a big fan.

But I'm also a big fan of privacy and individual liberties. Does one have a right to an expectation of privacy? Does somebody violate your rights when they violate your privacy? At what point is your expectation of privacy realistic or unrealistic?

Apparently, Google Maps/ Google Earth hasn't taken the time/effort to screen people's identities in images they freely broadcast to any who care to look. I guess I have to ask is this really a violation of somebody's privacy? I haven't formed an opinion, I'm curious about what the Org has to say on this....
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Default Re: Privacy Issues... Where there's smoke?

As you know, I play too.

Does one have a right to an expectation of privacy?
    I think that depends on the environment. On the internet environment, "no', I think, is the answer. This is essentially a party line. Anything one types should be couched in terms likely to appear in tommorrow's New York Times lede.

However, rookies to the 'net should be sternly warned that that's true, I think, the concept of 'partyline' not being contemporary for those under 50.

Specifically, in the case of google logging and retaining personally-identifiable info vis-a-viz search phrases (see this thread), I don't like it.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

You jest? Google turned over, er allowed all contacts through them to be passed on to the NSA - and does. So, every favorite a person has selected, every posting, every site frequented, etc. are already known by the NSA. It's part of their fussion (or is it fusing?) net to find potential terrorists, subversives, or what ever.

Privacy? On the net? You jest.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    You jest? Google turned over, er allowed all contacts through them to be passed on to the NSA - and does. So, every favorite a person has selected, every posting, every site frequented, etc. are already known by the NSA. It's part of their fussion (or is it fusing?) net to find potential terrorists, subversives, or what ever.

Privacy? On the net? You jest.
    Source? I've heard the opposite
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Same I heard Google resused and Yahoo accepted to hand over search data.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I don't know, so far I've got nothing to hide, I make testeless bad jokes all the time.
    Life in prison is for free.

Then again, I do like a certain amount of privacy, since I noticed those cameras in the subway stations here, I sometimes feel like someone is watching me when I change clothes in the gym. They don't have any cameras in the whole gym as far as I know, but somehow that "someone is watching me" sticks. Then again, if someone can see the top of my head on a pixelated satellite photo...
    I don't know, as long as I can find a place to secretly pick my nose or scratch my behind.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu