Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Win Conditions

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Default Re: Win Conditions

I found this interesting and decided to post it here.
    I inserted your win conditions in my ongoing Sauromatae campaign and some years later I see Carhage doing something I have not seen them do before crossing the Gibraltar straits to retake Iberia (which they lost 30 years ago or so in the game)

And they're also aggressively taking on the Romans in Sicily.

I'm playing with BI and I know naval invasions are more common but I've never seen the Gibraltar stuff before. I guess it could be a coincidence but this started recently after introducing the code.
    Also if in my campaign I hold all the settlements needed for the win conditions in descr_win_conditions and choose to keep playing could I still get the more complex victory conditions in EB?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    I inserted your win conditions in my ongoing Sauromatae campaign and some years later I see Carhage doing something I have not seen them do before crossing the Gibraltar straits to retake Iberia (which they lost 30 years ago or so in the game)

And they're also aggressively taking on the Romans in Sicily.

I'm playing with BI and I know naval invasions are more common but I've never seen the Gibraltar stuff before. I guess it could be a coincidence but this started recently after introducing the code.
    It is a coincidence:
    Quote Originally Posted by JMRC
    No, sorry. You have to start a new game for the changes in DWC to be loaded into the new savegame.
    It is not savegame compatible, so the actions of carthage are not being influenced by the DWC.

Also if in my campaign I hold all the settlements needed for the win conditions in descr_win_conditions and choose to keep playing could I still get the more complex victory conditions in EB?
    As I said before:
    Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    In BI this file was used for the new type of victory conditions, tailored for each faction, where a certain number of provinces AND one or two specific provinces were required for victory. This such makes sure that the AI would go for the specific provinces and thus be able to win. Basically its the modifiable version of the code that made all the factions in RTW go for the Rome province.
    Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

Ive heard that when Carthage expands all the way to the strait of Gibraltar then they would shift their focus to Iberia.

(...)
    I guess it could be a coincidence but this started recently after introducing the code.
    This must be a coincidence, because DWC is a campaign file, so it is loaded when the campaign starts.

As for your 2nd question, when you have all the required number of settlements (which must include the specific settlements) declared in DWC, the Victory screen allows you to keep playing. This means that the conditions in the EBBS file may still be met (because they are scripted) and thus you will receive a second victory screen.

As an academic thought, I think you may get unlimited victory screens if you accomplish the objectives and keep playing, then lose one of the objectives and get it again afterwards, re-accomplishing the objectives, and thus getting another VS. I don't think the AI will be smart enough to understand that the conditions have already been met before. NOTE: I haven't tested this, so I can't say it for sure.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

To stop that you could follow MAA's suggestion from the previous page:
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    If you set that to 199, though, you wouldn't have to worry about setting off the victory conditions and wouldn't have to cast off the complex EB victory conditions.
    About setting the specific settlements to take by name and then using take_regions 199 to make sure you don't trigger them abruptly.

Quote Originally Posted by MastaSpoofa
    Ive heard that when Carthage expands all the way to the strait of Gibraltar then they would shift their focus to Iberia.
    This is highly unlikely, unless it's hardcoded in the game (which I also don't believe). Unless you're using DWC to make the AI go for certain objectives, the AI will move on a "turn by turn" evaluation of targets using heuristics (which can go a few turns into the future, though).
    This means that if they go as far as the strait of Gibraltar, their next target will be going through the strait or moving south to the desert. The heuristics (if correctly implemented) should point to Iberia because it surely is a richer land than the desert, so the AI moves there. But if for some reason, the heuristics point to the desert, then that's where the AI will go.

Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

To stop that you could follow MAA's suggestion from the previous page:

About setting the specific settlements to take by name and then using take_regions 199 to make sure you don't trigger them abruptly.
    I just made some tests and noticed that the victory conditions set in EBBS only apply to the faction controlled by the human player due to the condition:
    Code:
     and CharacterIsLocal
    I don't know why this was made, but if you remove this line, the conditions also apply to the AI controlled factions.

As for the DWC, it doesn't trigger victory screens for the AI controlled factions. The VS only appear to the human player.

When I removed the line above from the EBBS, the VS appeared for the AI controlled faction, but it still gave me the option to keep playing.

So, I don't think you need to put the
    Code:
    take_regions 199
    since even if the VS appears, the player always has the chance to keep playing.

Hi. This is an update to my Test Run, taken in 242BC (120 turns into the game).

In this latest count, from 69 regions conquered, 58 were objective regions.

Note: starting regions are in Italic; Conquered objective regions are in Bold; Lost starting regions are Underlined/Italic; Conquered non-objective regions are in Bold/Italic. The factions that didn't have changes since 262BC are marked in red, otherwise are marked in blue. I'm playing with Casse, so it doesn't count.

Romani
    hold_regions: Latium2 Etruria Umbria Apulia Campania Aemilia Venetia Korsim Elimya Liguria Sardin Greseoallra Insubramrog Lacetania Baleares Pannonia_Illyrica Kalabria Brettia Sicilia Trinakrie Syrthim Byzacena Zeugitana Edetania Celtiberia Carpetania Bastetania Turdetania Dalmatia Illyria_Hellenike Epeiros Makedonia Attike Delta_Neilou Ioudaia Syria
    non-target regions: Volcallra Aquitae Pannonia

Saka
    hold_regions: Sai_Yavuga Kangha Saka_Yabgu Xiyu Dayuan Dahyu_Haomavarga Sogdiane Margiana Dahyu_Alanna Aria Baktria Paropamisadai Drangiane Arachosia Gandhara Sind Sattagydia

Arverni
    hold_regions: Arvernotorg Sequallra Lugonesis Batromorgan Mrogaedu Lemorisae Armoriae Mrogaule Aquitae Volcallra Greseoallra Bellovacaea_Belgae Nervaea_Belgae Vindelicos Helvetis Rhaetia Insubramrog Venetia Latium2

Saba
    hold_regions: Saba Qataban Main Tadmor Zufar Hadramaut Maketa Arabia Gerrhaia_Arabia Sinai Nabataia Syria Syria_Koile Phoenicia Ioudaia Assyrie Babylonia Charax_Spasinou

Makedon
    hold_regions: Makedonia Euboia Lesbos Thessalia Peloponnesos Dardanoia Aitolia Odrysai Attike Lakonike Epeiros Chersonesos_Thraikia Illyria_Hellenike Mikra_Skythia Mysia Lydia Karia Bithynia Thraikia_Hypertera

Ptolemaioi
    hold_regions: Erythraia Triakontaschoinos Thebais Heptanomis Delta_Neilou Oasis_Megale Marmarike Ioudaia Phoenicia Kypros Kilikia Pamphylia Libye Sinai Nabataia Kush Syria Kyrenaia Diamat Syria_Koile Tadmor Assyrie Babylonia
    non-target regions: Arabia Augila

Arche Seleukeia
    hold_regions: Syria_Koile Assyrie Babylonia Lydia Elymais Media Kappadokia Persis Gabiene Karmania Drangiane Aria Margiana Charax_Spasinou Parthava Khoarene Phrygia Sophene Adiabene Hyrkania Syria Astauene Karia Pamphylia Kilikia Kypros Phoenicia Ioudaia Tadmor Nabataia Sinai Delta_Neilou Heptanomis Thebais Marmarike
    non-target regions: Gerrhaia_Arabia

Carthage
    hold_regions: Zeugitana Mashiliem Byzacena Syrthim Turdetania
    Bastetania Baleares
    Edetania Korsim Sardin Elimya Carpetania Turdulia Lacetania Volcallra Greseoallra Liguria Etruria Latium2 Sicilia Trinakrie Mauretania_Massaesili Mauretania_Tingitana
    non-target regions: Numidia Phasania

Parthia
    hold_regions: Khwarazm Hyrkania Astauene Dahyu_Daha Aghvan Parthava Gabiene Karmania Gedrosia Adurbadagan Media Elymais Khoarene Babylonia Adiabene Sophene Assyrie
    non-target regions: Dahyu_Mazsakata Dahyu_Alanna Saka_Yagbu

Pontus
    hold_regions: Kappadokia_Pontika Galatia Paphlagonia Bithynia Pontos_Paralios Pokr_Hayk Kappadokia
    non-target regions: Chersonesos_Thraikia

Aedui
    hold_regions: Mrogaedu Mrogaule Lugonesis [U]Insubramrog8/U] Sequallra Arvernotorg Batromorgan Lemorisae Armoriae Aquitae Volcallra Greseoallra Bellovacaea_Belgae Nervaea_Belgae Vindelicos Helvetis Rhaetia Venetia Latium2
    non-target regions: Pannonia_Illyrica

Sweboz
    hold_regions: Swebolandam Kimbrolandam Hattolandam Heruskolandam Habukolandam Mrogbonna Skandza Rugolandam Silengolandam Vindelicos Bastarnolandam Sequallra Helvetis Bellovacaea_Belgae Nervaea_Belgae Rhaetia Noricae
    non-target regions: Eravacouw

Casse
    hold_regions: Cassemorg Corieltauvae Cornovae Cambriae Brigantiae Caledryn Cruddain Erain

Hayasdan
    hold_regions: Hayasdan Adurbadagan Kartli Pokr_Hayk Egrisi Aghvan Adiabene Sophene Pontos_Paralios

Getai
    hold_regions: Getia Thraikia_Hypertera Scorcouw Getia_Koile Mikra_Skythia Bastarnolandam Coutinoe Eravacouw Dardanoia Odrysai Chersonesos_Thraikia

Koinon Hellenon
    hold_regions: Lakonike Rhodos Attike Peloponnesos Thessalia Euboia Krete Aitolia Makedonia Epeiros Illyria_Hellenike Dalmatia Odrysai Chersonesos_Thraikia Mikra_Skythia Bosporion_Tyrranesis Taurike_Chersonesos Bithynia Mysia Lesbos Lydia Karia Kypros Kalabria Brettia Sicilia Trinakrie Greseoallra

Baktria
    hold_regions: Baktria Dayuan Sogdiane Dayhu_Daha Margiana Dahyu_Haomavarga Xiyu Sai_Yavuga Saka_Yabgu Kangha Dahyu_Alanna Aria Paropamisadai Drangiane Arachosia Gandhara Sind Sattagydia

Sauromatae
    hold_regions: Dahyu_Aursa Dahyu_Roxsalanna Dahyu_Yazyga Dahyu_Siraca Maeotis Dahyu_Yugra Budinije Neurije Dahyu_Thissakata Dahyu_Alanna Dahyu_Mazsakata Bosporion_Tyrranesis Taurike_Chersonesos Skythia

Lusotannan
    hold_regions: Lusitania Turdulia Celtiberia Galaecia Asturia Cantabria Carpetania Turdetania Bastetania Edetania Lacetania Baleares

Epeiros
    hold_regions Epeiros Illyria_Hellenike Kalabria Dalmatia Brettia Sicilia Trinakrie Dardanoia Makedonia Odrysai Mikra_Skythia Chersonesos_Thraikia Thessalia Aitolia Euboia Attike Peloponnesos Lakonike Scorcouw Pannonia Pannonia_Illyrica Elimya Thraikia_Hypertera

Check the Test Run pic here.
    Last edited by JMRC; 06-06-2007 at 01:36.

Wow- great find! This could mean a whole WORLD of improved campaign map AI behavior! Well done!
    Currently Playing as:

If you like EB, you'll love:
    https://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Win Conditions

Has there been any progress on this? It certainly sounds like a potential remedy for unrealistic A.I. expansion.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I think a moderator should probably move this to the EB forums, where it belongs so it could get the attention it deserves. If it works the way it seems it does, then the EB team should definitely look into it.
    Currently Playing as:

If you like EB, you'll love:
    https://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Does it work in v1.5?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Anarzius's Avatar

Last edited by Anarzius; 10-17-2013 at 20:58.

I'm going to try if this indeed works with version 1.5 later today. First I will do some test runs playing Casse and doing nothing but pressing end turn and taking screenshots. After couple of those, I will insert the DMC exactly as made by JMRC and see if the AI expansion differs.

I'dd do it right now, but alas I have some other things to do so this has to wait for the evening.
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Ok, it took a while but after one game of only pressing end turn and with slightly modded JMRC's DWC it seems that the DMC doesn't do anything. I pressed the end turn until about 212 BC IIRC and during this Makedonia first seemed to win the Greek wars but then it took of and went to the steppes, leaving both Epeiros and Koinon alive. So in other words, Makedonia did not try to conquer it's victory conditions before going to some weird places.

Fortunately this isn't conclusive yet! I mentioned I slightly modded JMRC's DWC. The only thing I modded was that every faction would have to own 234 provinces. That might put the AI off of the region owning requirements as it also has to conquer huge amount of provinces, and of course it could nullify the whole DWC file as the region count is more than the hard coded limit (which is 199 right?).

To remedy those things I started another campaign earlier today with quite extraordinary DWC. The point is to make the victory conditions so weird that if the AI actually follows them this should show quite clearly on the map. Here is the DWC so others can see it, correct it and perhaps even use it to figure out if the DWC 1.5.

Code:
    ;Romani
    seleucid
    hold_regions Latium2 Etruria Umbria Apulia Campania Lakonike Attike Aitolia Peloponnesos
    take_regions 10

;Saka
    pontus
    hold_regions Sind Sattagydia Gandhara
    take_regions 10

;Arverni
    scythia
    hold_regions Turdetania Carpetania Turdulia
    take_regions 10

;Saba
    saba
    hold_regions Karmania Gablene Karmania
    take_regions 10

;Makedon
    macedon
    hold_regions Neurije Budinije Skythia
    take_regions 10

;Ptolemaioi
    numidia
    hold_regions Kyrenaia Syrthim Byzacena Zeugitania
    take_regions 10

;Arche Seleukeia
    romans_julii
    hold_regions Phrygia Lydia Karia Pamphylia Kilikia Kypros Sophene Syria Syria_Koile Assyrie
    take_regions 199

;Carthage
    egypt
    hold_regions Liguria Etruria Latium2 Sicilia Helvetis
    take_regions 10

;Parthia
    parthia
    hold_regions Saba Hadramaut Arabia Tadmor Babylonia Elymais Gablene
    take_regions 10

;Pontus
    carthage
    hold_regions Kappadokia_Pontika Paphlagonia Pontos_Paralios Pokr_Hayk Kappadokia Galatia Bithynia
    take_regions 10
    ;Aedui
    gauls
    hold_regions Rhaetia Noricae Pannonia Scorcouw Dardanoia Odrysai Bithynia Galatia
    take_regions 10

;Sweboz
    germans
    hold_regions Liguria Aemilia Etruria Umbria Latium Apulia Venetia Campania
    take_regions 10

;Casse
    britons
    hold_regions Cassemorg Corieltauvae Cornovae Cambriae Brigantiae Caledryn Cruddain Erain
    take_regions 10

;Hayasdan
    romans_scipii
    hold_regions Dahyu_Aursa Dahyu_Roxsalanna Dahyu_Yazyga Dahyu_Siraca Dahyu_Yugra Dahyu_Thissakata Dahyu_Alanna Dahyu_Mazsakata Maeotis Bosporion_Tyrranesis Taurike_Chersonesos Skythia Budinije Neurije
    take_regions 10

;Getai
    dacia
    hold_regions Krete Rhodos Karia Pamphylia Kilikia Galatia
    take_regions 10

;Koinon Hellenon
    greek_cities
    hold_regions Egrisi Kartli Aghvan Hayasdan Maeotis Kypros Syria Phoenicia
    take_regions 10

;Baktria
    romans_brutii
    hold_regions Sogdiane Dayuan Kangha Saka_Yabgu Sai_Yavuga Dahya_Alanna Dahya_Aursa Dahya_Yugra
    take_regions 10

;Sauromatae
    armenia
    hold_regions Neurije Lugouw Venedu_Tauta Mrogbonna Vindelicos Coutinoe Eravacouw Pannonia Scorcouw
    take_regions 10

;Lusotannan
    spain
    hold_regions Lusitania Galaecia Asturia Cantabria Turdulia Carpetania Edetania Lacetania Baleares Erain Cruddain
    take_regions 10

;Epeiros
    thrace
    hold_regions Epeiros Makedonia Aitolia Euboia Attike Peloponnesos Lakonike Krete Rhodos Marmarike Heptanomis
    take_regions 10
    Notice how my modded DWC is full of errors? If you do, please point them out so we can count out the possibility of DWC not working because of syntax errors.

Also I'd like to point out some things about JMRC's research in to the DWC. First and foremost, his test games weren't in my opinion long enough. Those posted here lasted to 252 BC at their longest. In my first campaign everything looked fine until little after 240 BC the Makedonia made it's plunge for the steppes. Second problem is the DWC itself. It doesn't differ enough from the normal unmodified AI expansion patterns. Epeiros kicked out of Italy by Rome? In my first unmodded reference game, Rome did it by the end of 270 BC! Third problem is the lack of repeats. Two games don't tell enough about the norm, to see the norm there must be more repeats.

All this in mind, I'd like to have some help with trying this thing out, not only with 1.5, also with BI. I my self don't have BI, so if you could test my DWC with it we could see if the DWC actually has any influence on anything, even in BI.

PS. My second test game is now in 237 and it seems my edited DWC has no effect at all. I will also post raw research data of my first game to the AI expansion thread when I have edited them to publishable form. This might take a day or week, depending on RL stuff.

:edit: Some wordings and some such:
    Last edited by Puupertti Ruma; 09-05-2007 at 14:29.

Hmm.... I just realised I hadn't deleted the map.rwm. I guess that should nullify my test result pretty much completely. Nice. About 6 hours of just pressing end turn down the drain.

Gisgo Governer of Ippone Member madmatg's Avatar

im really interested in this hope it works!

Phil 2:9-11 Phil 4:4

Hi!

Nice to know that someone went back to look at this thread. I always used BI in my tests, so DWC might not work with 1.5 (which is what you are confirming).

However, I would like to add a few issues, that I found since the time that I made my last post here:

- It seems that the I slightest syntax error in the DWC file turns it into unreadable, which means it won't be taken into account. So, please, start with few (and correctly introduced syntax and regions) before adding the rest.

- It also seems that, despite using BI, the DWC file which is read is the one found in the
    Code:
    imperial_campaign.txt
    file. I haven't confirmed this one.

- The way the AI has to achieve its objectives might not be direct. It probably has to do with enemy strength on surrounding settlements, etc. Which means that they don't rush into the objectives, and if the objective settlement is very far, the AI might get "lost" in pathfinding and never go for that objective.

- The simplest way to test this is to give objectives which are 2 regions deep away from the "border" and without massive defenses. The AI should not get lost in pathfinding and might consider it a good target. After that, you can start making more difficult situations.

I've edited my DWC to have a good syntax but due to RL stuff haven't had a chance to play EB in almost a month and haven't had the time to test it. I've constructed it in a way that quite a lot of factions have a "trail" of victory conditions. That means there is one near or even next to their starting territories and from that there is a trail to follow to some very odd place where the AI faction should never wander without guidance. For example, Aedui have a trail from Helvetia to Galatia, with a neighboring victory condition provinces next to each other.

Also, what do you mean by
    Quote Originally Posted by JMRC
    - It also seems that, despite using BI, the DWC file which is read is the one found in the

Code:
    imperial_campaign.txt
    file. I haven't confirmed this one.
    I couldn't find file called "imperial_campaign.txt" from my EB folder, or even RTW folder. Did you mean EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder maybe, or is that a BI only thing?

And last, my latest DWC.txt for interested people to test, mock or enjoy:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ;Romani, goes for greece
    seleucid
    hold_regions Aemilia Venetia Pannonia_Illyrica Dalmatia Illyria_Hellenike Epeiros Makedonia Thessalia Aitolia Attike Peloponnesos Lakonike
    take_regions 8

;Saka, goes for India
    pontus
    hold_regions Sind Sattagydia Gandhara Gedrosia
    take_regions 4

;Arverni, goes for Iberia
    scythia
    hold_regions Turdetania Carpetania Edetania Lacetania Volcallra
    take_regions 6

;Saba, goes for Persia
    saba
    hold_regions Arabia Charax_Spasinou Elymais Gabiene Persis
    take_regions 4

;Makedon, goes for the amber route
    macedon
    hold_regions Chersonesos_Thraikia Odrysai Mikra_Skythia Getia Thraikia_Hypertera Scorcouw Eravacouw Mrogbonna Silengolandam Rugolandam Venedu_Tauta
    take_regions 7

;Ptolemaioi, goes for Carthage
    numidia
    hold_regions Kyrenaia Phasania Syrthim Byzacena Zeugitana Mashiliem
    take_regions 10

;Arche Seleukeia, goes for Steppes
    romans_julii
    hold_regions Adiabene Hayasdan Egrisi Dahyu_Yugra Dahyu_Mazsakata Dahyu_Aursa Dahyu_Daha Dahyu_Yazyga Dahyu_Roxsalanna Dahyu_Siraca Dahyu_Thissakata Dahyu_Alanna Dahyu_Haomavarga
    take_regions 18

;Carthage, goes for Italy
    egypt
    hold_regions Sicilia Elimya Trinakrie Brettia Kalabria Campania Apulia Latium2 Umbria Etruria
    take_regions 10

;Parthia, goes for Persia and Babylonia
    parthia
    hold_regions Hyrkania Khoarene Charax_Spasinou Elymais Gabiene Persis Babylonia Assyrie
    take_regions 7

;Pontus, goes for Syria
    carthage
    hold_regions Sinai Ioudaia Phoenicia Syria Syria_Koile Kilikia Kappadokia
    take_regions 5

;Aedui, goes for Galatia
    gauls
    hold_regions Sequallra Helvetis Rhaetia Noricae Pannonia Scorcouw Thraikia_Hypertera Odrysai Chersonesos_Thraikia Bithynia Galatia
    take_regions 6

;Sweboz, goes for Italy
    germans
    hold_regions Kalabria Campania Apulia Latium2 Umbria Etruria Aemilia Venetia Noricae Mrogbonna Hattolandam
    take_regions 6

;Casse, goes for Iberia
    britons
    hold_regions Carpetania
    take_regions 6

;Hayasdan, goes for persia
    romans_scipii
    hold_regions Charax_Spasinou Elymais Gabiene Persis Babylonia Assyrie Sophene
    take_regions 6

;Getai, goes for modern Turkey
    dacia
    hold_regions Karia Pamphylia Kilikia Lydia Phrygia Mysia Bithynia Chersonesos_Thraikia
    take_regions 4

;Koinon Hellenon, goes for Kaukasus
    greek_cities
    hold_regions Karia Pamphylia Kilikia Lydia Phrygia Mysia Bithynia Chersonesos_Thraikia Kappadokia Pokr_Hayk Hayasdan
    take_regions 8

;Baktria, goes for the steppes
    romans_brutii
    hold_regions Dahyu_Yugra Dahyu_Mazsakata Dahyu_Aursa Dahyu_Daha Dahyu_Yazyga Dahyu_Roxsalanna Dahyu_Siraca Dahyu_Thissakata Dahyu_Alanna Dahyu_Haomavarga
    take_regions 8

;Sauromatae, goes for Pusta
    armenia
    hold_regions Skythia Bastarnolandam Eravacouw Scorcouw
    take_regions 5

;Lusotannan, goes for Ireland and Normandy
    spain
    hold_regions Armoriae Mrogaule Cruddain Erain
    take_regions 6

;Epeiros, goes for modern Turkey
    thrace
    hold_regions Karia Pamphylia Kilikia Lydia Phrygia Mysia Bithynia Chersonesos_Thraikia
    take_regions 7

:edit: Made the DWC a "spoiler".
    Last edited by Puupertti Ruma; 09-23-2007 at 21:51.

Clear the battlefield... Member Tarkus's Avatar

BUMP...this is a really interesting and very promising thread that deserves some more attention...JMRC / Puupertti, anything new?!
    I have seen the future and it is very much like the present, only longer -- Kehlog Albran, The Profit

"Technocrat Politician" Member C.LVCIANVS's Avatar

JMRC this is woonderful!!!!
    The order of listed provinces to be conquered could influence AI expansion? For ex: if I put korsim before massilia in the list the AI will try to take korsim first then moves to massilia?
    Everything is possible. I'm using imagination!

EDIT: And what about the "outlive_faction" command, used for vanilla RTW imperial_campaign?
    Last edited by C.LVCIANVS; 11-15-2007 at 01:43.
    °CAIVS^LVCIANVS°

..."Atqve nostris militibvs cvnctantibvs, maxime propter altitvdinem maris, qvi decimae legionis aqvilam ferebat, obtestatvs deos, vt ea res legioni feliciter eveniret: -"Desilite"- inqvit -"commilitones, nisi vvltis aqvilam hostibvs prodere: ego certe mevm rei pvblicae atqve imperatori officivm praestitero"-. Hoc cvm voce magna dixisset, se ex navi proiecit atqve in hostes aqvilam ferre coepit. Tvm nostri cohortati inter se ne tantvm dedecvs admitteretvr vniversi ex navi desilvervnt. Hos item ex proximis [primis] navibvs cvm conspexissent, svbsecvti hostibvs adpropinqvarvnt."

C.IVL.CAESAR COS.
    "COMMENTARII DE BELLO GALLICO" -Liber IV, XXV.

Last edited by Anarzius; 10-17-2013 at 21:00.

Hi! Sorry, I didn't see that there was still some action in this thread.

First, you're right, I meant imperial_campaign directory.

Second, many people say that DWC doesn't work, but I'm still not convinced of that, because I think I saw a pattern of movement during my testing. I do recognize that sometimes the AI didn't went straight to the targets assigned for it, but I reckon it might be related to easier targets around, which draw the AI.

I'll try to make a few more tests.

Last edited by Anarzius; 10-17-2013 at 21:00.

To really test to see if it works like we hope, you should give factions strange win conditions. For example, see if you can get the Seleukids to focus on conquering the Pahlava, Baktrians, and Saka. Meanwhile have the Ptolemaioi focus on Carthage and have Pontos and Armenia focus on conquering Syria and Babylon.

If the Win Conditions file works like we hope it does, then after 20 turns you should begin to a big difference as the Koele-Syria region is vacated by the traditional Ptolemaioi v. Seleukid war and replaced with Pontos v. Hayasdan.

Edit: I see I missed the post where this was already suggested. My apologies.
    Last edited by Callicles; 11-18-2007 at 07:26.

It seems to work with RTW as well: I had seen on the modding forum that at least one mod uses the BI win conditions with RTW. I had made a simple test myself: using the code for BI in an RTW.exe run game. I had changed the conditions for >>Selucids<< (the EB Romans) to conquer Kalabria (Taras) and have 6 towns. The other VCs remained unchanged.

- In 6 attempts the Romans had send their army north to Segesta once

- In the other 5 tests they had massed their forces in the south without doing anything north of the Rubicon.

- Of these 5 they had attacked Taras at first in two tests

- Attacked Rhegion first in two tests

- Attacked Rhegion and Taras in the same turn in one test.

I had run this last test for a longer time and in this one they succeded in Rhegion in the second attempt but not in Taras. After that they attacked Taras every turn without doing anything else.

This is not a prove that it 100% works, because for that they should have attacked Taras first in 6 out of 6 times. On the other hand the AI might also take other things into account than just its VCs. But experinced EB might find it notable that the AI Romans did not atttack Bononia in 6 out of 6 tests and that they went south in 5 out of 6 times.

I had tested other things too: I had given Epeiros Makedonia as a target, Makedonia Attika and KH Krete; always with the respective "outlive" command. All three factions have an army next to the respective town from the start but in no occasions ever the AI uses this army to siege the towns (Pella, Athen and Kydonia). What should I say, they didn't do so this time too:

- The KH army didn't do anything at all
    - Pyrrhos marched to the mountains and became pinned there
    - Antigonos followed him, defeated his army and became pinned on the same position (pathfinding problems in the hills west of Pella?).

Later the Maks trained a new army in Chalkis and attacked Athens (but what else should an army from Chalkis do?), while the Epeirote sent another army across the mountains that did not dare to attack Pella because there was a (second) Makedonian stack guarding the town.

But that must not mean anything: It might be logical for a human player to do use these armies to attack the nearby towns when beeing ordered so; but the AI works different and might as well march a stack from Attike to defeat an enemy army in Makedonia and move in the same time the army from Pella to attack Athens. It might be better for the AI to place all units in towns at the beginning of the game that it can compose its own stacks and asign them targets according the hardcoded preferences?

I definitly think that further tests with the win conditions on RTW will be usefull and, after the results of the Roman tests, I am convinced that the BI codes can be used for RTW as well and that they might change the AI behaviour up to about 80%.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Is there a command to not take a region or avoid taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by larsbecks
    Is there a command to not take a region or avoid taking it?
    No, there isn't.

Further tests:

I had made the three Northen Italian towns targets for the Aedui. I had made one test and it didn't work. On the other hand, I was sure that it will not work in advance because in all my EB campaigns the Aedui only attacked Bononia once and the other two never, even though they are rebell. May be, before the next tests I will reduce the garrison there, or there is another reason why the AI does not recognize them as legal targets for the Aedui.

descr_strat

Not the same but related: I have noted that for all factions, save for Armenia(!?!), the slave faction has the highest priority. Can it be that this is the reason for "the hardcoded preference of the AI towards the Eleutheroi"? I have made one test with slightly altered preferences: Epeiros and KH got Makedonia as highest priority and Makedonia got KH as highest and Epeiros as second highest. The test was run without using victory conditions. After 5 years neither the Makedonians did attack Serdike nor Epeiros Dalmatia. Both factions had large forces in the mountains between Makedonia and Ill. Helenike, what were fighting each other.

Other changes that seem to be important for the AI:
    - The Epeirote army at Pella should start in or around Epidamnos because the AI is always trying to move it there, but usually the stack becomes pinned after the first turn.

- Antigonos army must be moved to either Demetrias or Pella, while the forces next to Korinth must become part of the garrison. In every test Antigonos merges that army with his own force and moves the entire stack north, leaving Greece open for KH.

- The Greek army from Krete must be moved to the mainland because the
    AI has absolutly no idea what to do with it (and the player will most likely move it back in the first turn anyway).

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

I've noticed the Greek Army will take Krete but only after a very long time (in one of my games, 35 years). Or it will try and fail and just sit there. I've modded my game so that the Maks will always have a good chance against the greeks. I made the unit spawning for human only players to be permanent for human and AI and I changed their metality to "bureucrat". Also, once they beat the greeks and expanded all the way to Byzantion they took Epidamnos by sea attack, except once they landed they stood around for a couple of years standing between two Epeiros armies before anything happened.
    And the lack of Hayasdan expansion seems to be a combination of the 300 rating for aggression towards elutheroi and their "fortified" AI.

As always, Konny's testing is superb. I've been away from my EB computer for a while, but I'll report back on my own testing tomorrow.

I plan to make Carthage have first priority against Rome and second against Iberia. Likewise, Rome will have first priority against Rome and second against Iberia. If Konny's testing rings true, this should lead to a Punic war in Sicily and after some time, a proxy war in Spain.

I'll give Epeiros a priority against the city of Kyrene to see if they make the attempt to cross the sea.

I'll give Pontos a priority towards Trapezeus and then Cheronesos to, again, see if they cross the sea.

Finally, I'll give Parthia, Baktria, and Armenia, priority against the Seleukids, and give Parthians a target priority of Babylon to see if they cut through the middle of Persia.

Report to follow tomorrow night with screen shots.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast