Thread: Mod recommendations please

Default Mod recommendations please

Hello all:

I bet similar posts have been made before so sorry... I have looked through the mod list and many mods seem intersting but I was hoping to get some feedback about which mods seem like the most fun to play.

Basicaily it's like this, between the surprise riots, the inquistors and heritics, I am loosing interest in the game. The big bummer is, i have only had it a short while.

It almost seems like no matter what I do, the PC adjusts to my play sytle and preperation with some incredibly cheap and dirty tactic. (You now, like killing off a general every turn no matter how many priests i have with them etc)

Is there a mod that sort of takes the edge off, so I can at least learn how to play without wanting to throw my pc across the room?

Thanks

Default Re: Mod recommendations please

I can't speak to which Mod to use (in fact, I'm interested in seeing what other players who aren't so vanilla (like me) suggest), but I do have two comments for you:

1- make sure you're playing with 1.02 release. I had generals dying off left and right until i installed update;

2- perhaps its just a typo, but you'll never prevent assassinations by putting priests with your general - give him SPIES as pals!

It's not a typo but let me explain myself.

I quickly got into the habit of placing 1 spy, 1 assassin and 2 priests with every general. My generals are still dying off almost 1 per turn! I have the highest relations mark i can with the papacy and inquisitors are still running rampant over my territories. LOL when I out run them to save my general, the general dies by "an act of god".

Literally it's as if the AI simply decides hey you die and there is nothing you can do about it. Actauuly it seems like there are many such scenarios in game.

It is version 1.1 though... so wow hopefully the game will be bettwer with 1.2 thanks.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

You might try the BigMap mod. It doubles the size of the world map and adds about 60-70 more provinces, most all of them rebel with sizeable garrisons. You can still rush and do some cheap stuff against the AI, but the map overall being much larger gives you some real incentive to slow down and take your time. Just be sure to change the timescale to at least 1.00, if not 0.50, and drastically increase your character movement points. I knocked that val up to 2000 for my guys, and it actually works out great. Does take an extremely long time for the game to cycle when you hit end turn, because the AI spends the time thinking about what it's going to do and moving it's stuff.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Why dont you try Lusted's Lands to Conquor mod for 1.2
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84615
    might just save the game for you

ps I empathise with what your feeling, sometimes this is how the game makes me feel...see below...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

First of all, make sure you patch to 1.02.
    Most of you problems seems to be ones nonexistant after 1.02

Personally I have had great fun with Carl's ProblemFixer Pure v1.14
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=81928

Not a mod as such, but it Irons out gripes and flaws overlooked by CA, such as unit balancing after shield/2-hander fix.
    In addition there are numerous tweaks like traits working more consistently, better diplomacy and free upkeep slots in castles.
    All in all, it keeps the vanilla aspect of the game, but improves upon it.
    It's better to do and die, than die and don't

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

1.2 greatly (and that's an understatement) reduces the power of inquisitors. Like I said in Didz post in which he was freaking out because one of the buggers popped in England, in 1.2 all agents besides priests have 10 piety, all generals can easily get 5 or 6, inquisitors' base chance have been lowered a lot and safeguards have been put in place so that they'll disappear if they're too successfull.
    All in all, I've yet to see the torching video.

Same goes for spies and assassins, they were toned down as well.

As for mods, well, I'm playing Lusted's LTC right now, and enjoying it immensely. Unit rebalancing, better combat mechanics and handling, better AI armies, harder to maintain empires, slower pace... it's what vanilla should have been like :)
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Anno Domini. By far the best Medieval feeling this far.

Get patch 1.2 & LTC - you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamprey
    Get patch 1.2 & LTC - you won't be disappointed.

LtC is a great mod to try for first timers. It works with some of the other mods as well I hear.

i was reading the ltc thread and it says u can have both vanilla and ltc at the same time, i would jut like to confirm how this works. does this mean ltc does not make any changes whatsoever to M2TW and if there are any further patches i dont need to uninstall.
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crpcarrot
    i was reading the ltc thread and it says u can have both vanilla and ltc at the same time, i would jut like to confirm how this works. does this mean ltc does not make any changes whatsoever to M2TW and if there are any further patches i dont need to uninstall.
    means LtC is installed in its own subdirectory and doesn't overwrite any of the vanilla M2TW files, so you can play either without the need to uninstall LtC.
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

Guys... Thanks for all the helpful advice and reccomendations!

I loved RTW so hopefull I can love this game to.

The Stainless Steel mod looks real interesting. I was reading up on it a little bit last night. I may give it a try once I finish my current campaign.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Haven't tried LTC's version for 1.2, but I've been puttering around with a homebrew. Just browse through the mod discussion forum here and the mod workshop over at TWC, picking and choosing bits and pieces.