Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new rig

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Cool Buying a new rig

Last week my internet collapsed and my woman's computer died. She freaks because she can't work. So, in an unparalleled act of chivalry I immediately cleaned all my stuff out of my computer, loaded it all onto my external HD for safe keeping, then moved my rig five feet over and now it's on her side of the desk with her stuff in it.

BKS, in his eternal wisdom, smelled a rat. "Sounds a bit too convienent," he says.

It gave me the excuse to replace the lousy DSL we had with high-speed cable, which I'm on now, and I get to buy a new rig, which I hope to have by next weekend. (Months sooner than I thought I'd be able/allowed to buy one)

So, the likely new specs:

AMD X2-6000
    Asus A8N32-SLI MB
    BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    1x2048 Kinston RAM
    X-Fi sound card (the cheapest version)
    WD 250GB + 80GB HDs (The 80 is just for FS2004 and/or FSX)
    550w power supply
    and
    "A sturdy plastic case to prevent fall apart." (The Simpsons)

Should be a great rig, but I know some of you who are smarter than me prefer the Intel CPUs. I am open to suggestions.

(JUst FYI, my old machine was an AMD64-3000/2GB RAM/7800GS AGP/75GB HD.)
    Last edited by Beirut; 06-03-2007 at 12:28.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Default Re: Buying a new rig

Here is a very nice review of the 6000+ and it also shows that the Core 2 Duo E6700 will beat it. Now the question is, of course, how much both of them cost where you live...wow, here the 6000+ seems to be around 200EUR while the E6700 is around 300EUR. Didn't think that.

BUT, why did you select a Socket 939 board? I'd get an AM2+ board now because it's well, the future. Or at least a normal AM2, I wouldn't got for the older socket, *looks up CPUs*, and I guessed it, there is no 6000+ for the 939 socket anyway...
    So you might want to choose another mainboard.
    Iguess you chose 1x2048MB RAM for future upgrading to 2x2048? You might want to buy 4GB right away then since I read RAM prices are very, very low currently and expected to rise by about 100% in about a month. So now's the time to get cheap RAM.( now I could get 4GB for the same price I payed for my 2GB half a year ago, I have no money left )
    But keep in mind that XP will not profit from 4GB, only Vista will, so I've read. But I guess those ressource hogging games will soon start to appreciate 4GB as the new maximum standard.

The rest sounds about right to me, get a good brand PSU though(the good ones are usually painted black in my experience, if they're painted golden and say 1200W, they're overpriced ).

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Hmmm, now I'm looking at that Intel CPU...

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

AMDs are underdogs lately, Beirut-sama. As Husar mentioned, I'd recommend a thorough comparison between AMD and Intel before doing anything else, rather than purchasing one right away like a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine
    AMDs are underdogs lately, Beirut-sama. As Husar mentioned, I'd recommend a thorough comparison between AMD and Intel before doing anything else, rather than purchasing one right away like a fanboy.
    Hey LEN,

Yeah, I'm taking a look at the Intel option. I like that the same MB will handle the E6700 CPU as well as the nutcase QX6700 (I think) if I ever get rich. I think the Intel will set me back an extra $100 over the AMD. I'm getting close to the over-budget zone. I'd also like to get 2x80GB HDs for my flight sims and those are about $60 each.

In any case, I want to order this thing today from my computer dude so I can fly next weekend.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Core 2 Duo or quad is the only way to go now days.

If your running on the edge of your budget you can do like I did and opt for the 8800GTS320. Its still a hell of a card and considerably cheaper. In fact mines factory overclocked as are many and actually runs faster than a 640. It can be had for well under $300.
    Last edited by Gawain of Orkeny; 06-03-2007 at 17:06.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Core 2 Duo or quad is the only way to go now days.

If your running on the edge of your budget you can do like I did and opt for the 8800GTS320. Its still a hell of a card and considerably cheaper. In fact mines factory overclocked as are many and actually runs faster than a 640. It can be had for well under $300.
    I remembered your post about that and I checked the prices. Not much of a difference here, maybe around $60, but I'm going to look into it some more. Thanks.

(Also, I'm definitely going to SLI the card.)

(Also, I'm definitely going to SLI the card.)
    Dont do it. Mines sli ready but thats only for ATI and again its a waste of money. One good card is plenty good enough.

Dont do it. Mines sli ready but thats only for ATI and again its a waste of money. One good card is plenty good enough.
    Not sure what you mean by "only ATI". You can SLI Nvidia cards.

I wouldn't do it right now, maybe before winter. If my brain turns to goo and I go for a Vista DX10 scenario to fly FSX in all it's alleged glory, I might need the extra oompf.

Damn I keep getting confused, Im pretty sure mine is sli ready but another guy said my mobo is set up 4 ATI dual cards. Isnt there a difference? Anyway the point is you dont need 2

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

The combination of multi video cards for ATI brands are called "Crossfire" technology. "SLI" is Nvidia-ish.

Yeah I just checked my mobo specs. But I still use an 8800. Some say it will support two of them. I have crossfire however. So confusing.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Beirut, as the others have alluded to, AMD is (unfortunately) the underdog right now. If you are going to slap this together yourself, then I'd recommend getting a retail boxed cpu, dual core 6600 is only $230ish or so on n00begg. On stock/retail cooling, you can easily OC it up to 3.0ghz safely which puts it roughly on par with the $1000ish x6800 in terms of performance. Also depending on what mobo and RAM you buy, if they both support it and you enable it, your machine with 'automagically' overclock itself up to specific values that you can set. Looking to get a new PC myself within the next few months, but I still have a ton of reading to do, I'm a bit out of date with the current state of many things in general.

Best of luck

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    If you are going to slap this together yourself...
    Myself? Are you kidding? I'm still amazed I can put a DVD in the tray without bursting into tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain
    Anyway the point is you dont need 2.
    Need? Need is not a word we toss about lightly here, sir. We live more for want.

Well how about that Nvidea thing I showed you then. Dont half step

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Yeah I just checked my mobo specs. But I still use an 8800. Some say it will support two of them. I have crossfire however. So confusing.
    Crossfire boards can support one NVIDIA card, but not two in SLI mode, SLI boards can support one ATI card, but not two in Crossfire mode. That's the official word.

Agreed
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Well, considering that crossfire has been pretty much abandoned by the 'professional' gaming crowd, things should simplify eventually
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Need? Need is not a word we toss about lightly here, sir. We live more for want.
    Just let me tell you that you don't want two cards then.

Once you will notice that they weren't worth the money and/or are soon outclassed by a single card of the next generation, you'll know why.
    And I thought DX10 was meant to improve performance while maintaining the same visual quality or improving visual quality while maintaining performance, if that's true, you won't need any extra ooomph.
    If you want to have SLI badly or if you are an NVidiot like me, take a board with an NVidia chipset, that should naturally work well with NVidia cards. But don't be fooled by the more expensive = faster or anything, lately I saw a test where the 650i chipset trumped the 680i in gaming performance, the 680i was better concerning peripherals, but nott everyone needs two Gigabit ethernets for an additional 100-200EUR/$ I guess.
    (ok, it offers a bit more even, but if you just want a fast system with a decent chipset, the 650i will do)

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    Well, considering that crossfire has been pretty much abandoned by the 'professional' gaming crowd, things should simplify eventually
    I believe the "" smilie is the official Crossfire symbol now.

I heartily agree.

I also agree with Husar's comments about SLI - it may look good now but it's really not, imo, the best long-term alternative.
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    I heartily agree.

I also agree with Husar's comments about SLI - it may look good now but it's really not, imo, the best long-term alternative.
    The good thing, then, is that I can't afford a second card. At least not now.

Poverty is the mother of prevention.

So true

Myself? Are you kidding? I'm still amazed I can put a DVD in the tray without bursting into tears.
    Oh come on, stop being such a weenie. I mean hell, if Gawain, who PERSONALLY witnessed the integration of water and dirt to make mud, can figure this stuff out, so can you!

Seriously though, if you can put together a lego set with a lot of small parts, you can do this. The fact that I'm looking to build out a machine that'd cost me roughly $3500-4000 for a bit over $2000 myself down the road should be enough incentive. You can save a LOT of money putting something together yourself. Plus you have a huge support crew here in the forums who can and will happilly help out by posting useful comments like "u just broke it lol".

Never know until you try it!

And I'm just kidding Gawain. Except for the age bit.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    Plus you have a huge support crew here in the forums who can and will happilly help out by posting useful comments like "u just broke it lol".

And I'm just kidding Gawain. Except for the age bit.
    Well it is my birthday

And it doesnt cost that much to have one built locally. Just make sure you know your prices. Print some of the ones quoted here and take them with you and ask if they can match or beat that. Thats what I did. made up a list of what I wanted after researching here and on the net. Checked the prices on the net and then went to a few stores. I wound up paying maybe $50 more all together than if i had built it myself as I didnt have to pay any S&H on it. Nor tax as I paid cash . Shhhhh.

Well it is my birthday
    Well then happy birthday you old fart! Have one on me!

And it doesnt cost that much to have one built locally. Just make sure you know your prices. Print some of the ones quoted here and take them with you and ask if they can match or beat that. Thats what I did. made up a list of what I wanted after researching here and on the net. Checked the prices on the net and then went to a few stores. I wound up paying maybe $50 more all together than if i had built it myself as I didnt have to pay any S&H on it. Nor tax as I paid cash . Shhhhh.
    Be forewarned. My experience has usually been that unless you KNOW someone specifically and they offer a really nice price, then it's safe. If you don't know and they aren't charging you much, buy heavily beware. Likewise the more 'trustworthy' shops will charge good money thus somewhat negating the cost savings. Just beware and research heavily before you do, if you do.

Mmmmm... cake and beer.....

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Well it is my birthday

Happy Birthday there fella!

I know my local computer dude very well, he's been building my rigs since 1998. The only problem now is he won't answer his phone. Gah! I wanted my new rig for the weekend but that (deleted) bonehead isn't getting back to me and hasn't even sent me an email with a price quote so I can give him the go ahead. What a shmuck.

On the plus side, every day he doesn't get back to me my rig account grows. If he waits another week to call me I'll end up with a QX6800 CPU.

Mmmmm... QX6800.

Mmmmm... QX6800.
    Blatant rumor mongering: QX6700 is supposed to be sub-$500 USD by late July.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Happy Birthday there fella!

I know my local computer dude very well, he's been building my rigs since 1998. The only problem now is he won't answer his phone. Gah! I wanted my new rig for the weekend but that (deleted) bonehead isn't getting back to me and hasn't even sent me an email with a price quote so I can give him the go ahead. What a shmuck.

On the plus side, every day he doesn't get back to me my rig account grows. If he waits another week to call me I'll end up with a QX6800 CPU.

Mmmmm... QX6800.
    Do not buy a new system now, especially a quad cpu based one. Save your money and mooch off your wife's PC until Fall. Go and enjoy the great outdoors while the weather allows it.

Why Fall?

1) AMD is launching its brand spanking new dual and quad core processors this Fall. These chips are purported to be the bee's knees in terms of performance. Whether this performance is realized or not Intel will have no answer to AMD's thunder other than to release more powerful quad chips based on their existing line accompanied by price cuts to their high end chips. FYI, the Q6600 quad chip will drop over $250 in price to ~$266!

2) AMD will also be launching it's upgraded 29xx (2950?) cards this Fall. These cards will be based on a .65nm process and are supposed to address the shortcomings of the 2900XT while consuming far less power to boot. Since the 2900XT has only proved itself to be faster than the 8800 GTS Nvidia hasn't bothered to adjust prices on any of its existing 8800 cards.

3) In reaction to AMD's upgraded 2xxx line Nvidia will probably answer with price cuts or its own upgraded 8xxx cards. Competition = Price war goodness.

4) Black Friday deals. If you can really bite the bullet and wait until the Friday after Thanksgiving you'll be greeted with some serious PC oriented deals. It should be a buyer's paradise this Fall/Winter.

There is only one reason to buy a new system now. Memory prices. Memory prices recently hit rock bottom and are starting to creep their way back up. Rumor has it low demand has actually forced some manufacturers to cease production in order to drive demand up for existing inventories. You can get two 1gig sticks of quality, DD2-800 PC6400 RAM for around $90 now! I just picked up two 1gig sticks of Corsair XMS DD2-800 (Cas 4) from Newegg for $92 after rebate!
    Last edited by Spino; 06-05-2007 at 18:16.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Quote Originally Posted by Spino

There is only one reason to buy a new system now.
    You're right, there is - Flightsims!

I can't go until Fall without my airplanes. I'll go bonkers. I need my own rig. Soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast